PSE Text Box Issue

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by GlazeFamily3, Jan 8, 2018.

1. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

AD4A4543-55D2-4893-A4CF-AF1F71D0847D.jpeg

PSE is driving me CRAZY. When I create a text box, it is showing the text well below the box and not in it. I have restarted the program numerous times. It has never done this previously. I am running PSE13.

cfile likes this.
  2. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

From the looks of it, it appears it's reading the size of the font incorrectly. That big cursor is what I see, correct? Maybe it has to do with leading, or the font size? Can you reset the Text tool? Or shut the software and computer down to reset it?

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Try resetting the text tool. Open your text tool, and there should be a dropdown box {Sandwich Menu}:

TestToolReset.PNG

4. GlazeFamily3

I tried the reset tool option and it didn't work.

Now that I think about it... I had to reset ALL tools a week or so ago because the bar at the bottom where you toggle between photo bin, tool options, etc. disappeared... it may have gone wonky after that. I have restarted the computer and software multiple times.

5. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Try resetting PSE. Here's how
    Restore default preferences

Preference settings control how Photoshop Elements displays images, cursors, and transparencies, saves files, uses plug‑ins and scratch disks, and so on. If the application exhibits unexpected behavior, the preferences file may be damaged. You can restore all preferences to their defaults.

Note:

Deleting the preferences file is an action that cannot be undone.

Do one of the following:

• Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Mac: Option+Command+Shift) immediately after Photoshop Elements begins launching. Click Yes to delete the Adobe Photoshop Elements settings file.
    • Go to Edit > Preferences (Mac: Photoshop Elements > Preferences > General), click the Reset Preferences on next launch button, and then click OK. When you restart Adobe Photoshop Elements, all preferences are reset to default settings.
    A new preferences file is created the next time you start Photoshop Elements. For information on a specific preference option, search for the preference name in Help.

from https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1327580

6. bestcee

I can't totally tell because your photo cuts off, but is there an Asian Text selected? It looks like it on the bottom left of your photo.

7. GlazeFamily3

yes... I don't remember why but I also don't know how to get rid of it lol. That has been selected for a while though and hasn't made this happen.

8. bestcee

I only wondered because some Asian texts go up and down, so maybe that's why it's behaving badly?

Adobe can tell you how to turn it off if you want to see if that's the issue? https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/using/asian-type.html

9. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

perhaps it is that paticular font. Does it happen if you use arial? Try a different font. It just may be the one you picked. I had that once with capitals.. the font itself was locking up my text for everything else.

10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

My first reaction was that it could be that particular font like Christa said. Or that you have the spacing between lines set to a much larger font size, but that should have been fixed if you reset everything. Hmmm... can't think of anything else off the top of my head...

cfile likes this.
  11. cfile

Desi, what is the name of the font you were using here so someone else can check it for you on our end wit the text box?

12. GlazeFamily3

@cfile it is all fonts

13. cfile

oh boy.. I have tried with the asian text set from preference and that did nothing that I could see but i changed it back. To get rid of the asian preference go to Edit > Preference and then select Type and then make sure these settings are checked, and the Asian text is unchecked. I am on PSE15
    fontpref.JPG

14. keepscrappin

@GlazeFamily3
    So a reset of PSE didn't work? I had a similar issue a few years ago with the asian text causing problems even though I wasn't using it and a reset of PSE fixed the problems.

Which version of PSE are you using? And is it Mac or windows 10, 7 etc?

15. GlazeFamily3

Reset did not work. PSE 13 on Windows 10.

16. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Maybe a reinstall, I know it’s not ideal but might fix the issue

keepscrappin likes this.
  17. keepscrappin

@GlazeFamily3
    Yep, maybe a reinstall. But before that. Does it do it on every font you try? Also is it just on that layout or every layout?

If you want to put your layout on dropbox and pm a link to me, I could bring it up in my PSE 14 and see if I get the same issue.

18. GlazeFamily3

It is every font and every layout... I would be happy to send but it won’t be until tonight.

If I do have to reinstall, is there a way to back up my styles and actions? I don’t have a hard copy of those anywhere.

I really appreciate all of the help you guys are giving me more than you know!

keepscrappin likes this.
  19. keepscrappin

@GlazeFamily3 - I just did a google search and found a similar problem to what you are saying. Try holding down the control key and clicking in the text box.
    Update: In searching for online Adobe help, I found a site that says to hold down the "Ctrl" key to get out of the text box. So I tried that, hoping just the opposite would work and it would land my cursor back inside the text box, where it belongs. IT WORKED!!! It's that darn "Ctrl" key that controls everything!!

cfile likes this.
  20. cfile

Desi, I saw something on line when I google searched and here is what the lady said that did the trick:

"In searching for online Adobe help, I found a site that says to hold down the "Ctrl" key to get out of the text box. So I tried that, hoping just the opposite would work and it would land my cursor back inside the text box, where it belongs. IT WORKED!!! It's that darn "Ctrl" key that controls everything!!"

Try holding down the control key and see if that fixes it.

keepscrappin likes this.