PSE realistic shadowing of a journal card

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by cfile, Dec 22, 2016.

1. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I was asked how I shadowed a card in one of my layouts.. while I did my page in PhotoShop CC I wrote this for PSE users.
    My page with the "warped" shadow:
    [​IMG]

Some instructions for the PSE user to obtain a similar shadow:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (wave info originally from this by Amanda R.. you can also download her action from the original tutorial too: https://the-lilypad.com/shadowing-tutorial/ )

Hope this helps! Thanks @klee73010 for your comment and asking me how I did this in PSE! I don't play in PSE as often and I like to keep my feet in both CC & PSE!)

Christina W and klee73010 like this.
  2. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@cfile Christa - that is a wonderful tutorial. My GD and I are going to be learning PSE together. I will show her this. TY.

cfile likes this.
  3. cfile

you are so welcome Rae! Let me know if I can assist further!

4. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

great tutorial, thanks

cfile likes this.
  5. cfile

you are so welcome :) @Iowan

6. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@cfile Thx Christa. I have only opened it up once last week to make sure it was working after I loaded it. After yrs of working with PS it seems very different in some ways. I think it will be great for Bailey (and myself) once we get familiar with it. I will definitely let you know when I need help (and I'm sure I will LOL). Appreciate it.

cfile likes this.
  7. cfile

I agree Rae I am the same.. it is a bit different and I love cc but PSE is neat too.

8. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

oh just reading this it gives me a headache LOL I know that I will need to learn at some point..... but I was thinking about going into Affinity for Mac.... the Serif forums people were awesome with me when I first started in Craft Artist so I know I will have support...I think Vivi was thinking about this program too? @Nemla ?
    Anyway, Christa you rock at tech.... thanks so much for sharing, I know is no use to me but I can see people will love, is perfect tutorial!!!!

cfile likes this.
  9. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Cynthia,Check out Affinity photo first, rather than Affinity Designer .get the trail version for MAC before you decide anything, and try it out. It is very different from both CA and Drawplus. I had the beta version for Affinity Designer for windows to try out, and it is in many ways much more similar to photoshop than to any other Serif product ,though at the same time vastly different. Still not really sure if I like it a lot or not, ( I bought because we had a good offer when it was launched ,plus brushes and things ,but have barely touched it yet )for sure It needs lots and lots of practice, and watching loads of tutorials, the end products seem ok , but everything is different, and all the vast options for "ready made filters " we have in CA is no more....neither is photolab as we know it.Check it out for your self, I will keep you posted if I learn new amazing things.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  10. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

@cfile Christa, thanks for this. Your instructions are extremely clear and very useful.

cfile likes this.
  11. cfile

12. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

great tutorial!

cfile likes this.
  13. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Great tutorial Christa, just installed elements 15, and it is different both than my old CS3 No longer have that, and my older version of elements. this will be so useful.

cfile likes this.
  14. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

Great tutorial - have to try it out soon!

15. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Oh! Thanks Christa! I have PSE8, so I will try this sometime this week to see if I can do it!

cfile likes this.
  16. cfile

cinna likes this.
  17. cfile

Thank you Celeste!

18. rubygirl

rubygirl Well-Known Member

Thank you for your tutorial. I'm having a go with it with photoshop but I'm stuck on step #4. When I try to cut out the shadow it says "can't cut out the selected area because it's empty" How Do i get the shadow on to it's own layer? I'm mystified...
    Thanks for your help! @cfile

cfile likes this.
  19. cfile

If you have regular photo shop all you need to do is right click on the layer in the layer pallet to create new layer. That will separate the shadow from the layer. In Photoshop Elements, there is the above work around. you movethe shadow out from under the element and then on that layer you do the marquee around the shadow and cut /paste to put on its own layer. In PS you create the layer

20. aballen

aballen Don't make me break out the milk

Christa, I have the same issue as rubygirl, :( It says there are no pixels selected when I try to cut it once I have the select marquee around it. Thanks for the help!!!!