PSE Any Tips?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by bcgal00, May 25, 2017.

1. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

While waiting for my PC to come back from servicing (and then reinstalling PS and LR on it), I am going to scrap on my small computer with PSE 15. I had bought it awhile ago to put on my laptop to scrap with when away from home. So I figure today is a good day to check it out and try to make a page with it.

Any tips or tricks I should know?

cfile likes this.
  2. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

I haven't used PSE since about version 10 so I don't have anything specific to share but I'm curious to know how it goes for you!

3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I think you'll find most things are quite similar.

You will have to do some work-arounds to separate shadows from elements and papers, but I don't know if you do a lot of custom shadow work?

There is the work bin at the bottom that is different from PS, so you will need to drag your items into the bin and then up onto your canvas.

I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head.

4. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Shame on me but I haven't installed PSE 15 which I bought...uh..near Thanksgiving? I understand there are a couple of major changes which sounded to me like 'change for the sake of change'. I'm still on PSE13 which I know so well, I'm just lazy about doing it.

Linda Sattgast is always good about explaining the updates. You can look at them and see how it differs from CC.

5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@gonewiththewind Yes, I manipulate shadows all the time. I have instructions on how to do it with PSE and it does sound like extra work so probably won't do as much shadow work with PSE, we'll see. I'm so used to doing it, I don't know if I can be happy doing less. I use acdsee for digi files so won't need the work bin. I just closed that down.

I'm also sad that I can create actions for PSE but will just have to work around that. I have created many actions in PS to speed up my workflow so will miss that.

But, I am not complaining....at least I can still scrap while I wait for my other computer to come back and hopefully PS will work ok in it again. I am nervous that no one was able to figure out why PS went wonky and starting draining 16 gigs of memory and shutting down. I have increased ram to 32 gigs and if that doesn't fix it...I give up.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  6. gonewiththewind

The shadow process isn't that awful at all. I have a video if you'd like to watch it. It's old, but you get the basics.

Some of your actions from PS will work in PSE. If they are keyboard shortcuts, I don't think you'll be able to use them.

Gosh, I hope you get that figured out with PS. Sounds quite odd. I'm sure you've done an uninstall and clean install and all that jazz. Are you using PSCC?

7. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@gonewiththewind Cheryl...thx...I will watch your video. Yes, I was using PS CC and all of a sudden after the last update my computer would freeze with the message "out of memory" and would close down PS. I uninstalled a few times but each time I loaded it back in it would start up again. This never happened before but researching online brought up this problem for many others too. I was unable to reach adobe to ask for help. They are hard to reach now apparently. So my computer ram has been doubled and computer set back to factory. We'll see how it runs once I get it back soon. What a hassle, especially as it is only 4 mths old.

8. gonewiththewind

@bcgal00 I'm so sorry! Fingers crossed for this to be the thing that fixes it!!!

9. Sunberry2

Sunberry2 Full of secret tidbits

I'm still learning tricks and tips for PSE15 since I upgraded from (an embarrassingly old) PSE7. I'm not sure if this differs from PS, but ctl + alt + g to clip to the previous layer. And loading styles is done in the program instead of through the folders.
    Happy scrapping!

Sokee likes this.
  10. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Oh thanks @Sunberry2 for the clipping change info. But really, why would they ADD a step to a former 2-step process????

11. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

So far so good. I've been checking it out and it's not too different from PS that I can't figure out most things. I think I'll continue using it on my small computer which doesn't have a lot of ram or space but I'll keep PS CC for my main PC if possible. Hope when I get back my computer today or tomorrow that PS loads ok and that weird problem is gone.