Point & Shoot Camera Recommendations

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by michele hillam, Mar 3, 2017.

1. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

My iphone just doesn't do enough but I like the compact portability....recommendations? I find that my grandsons are always moving so I get lots of blurry pics with my phone (partially because they are moving or I am whipping out my phone to capture the moment) or my subject is too far away and the zoom on an iphone just gets grainy. I would like something small enough I would frequently just toss in my bag or backpack. Taking close ups would be nice too! I would prefer not to have to buy batteries (one with its own rechargeable). What do you like?

2. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I haven't really used it yet, but I asked for and got the Olympus Tough T-4 for Christmas...

https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Waterproof-Digital-Camera-3-Inch/dp/B00UKV5E4Q?th=1

(I got the red one!)

I wanted this primarily because of the waterproof feature. I love taking photos in and around water (and the sand that sometimes goes with it) during the summer and I hate worrying about my equipment. I previously tried the Fuji waterproof cameras and they each died within a year and I never noticed it until after the warrantee was up.

I have taken some test pictures with this one and I'm really liking the quality of the shots. The Macro feature is really cool. My daughter is probably taking this on her trip to Guatemala next month, so I'll should have a better report then.

tinkerbell1112 likes this.
  3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I haven't bought a new little point and shoot in a long time because I mostly just use my iphone (6 plus) but when I do need a point and shoot I use my old Canon Powershot. I've had that things for YEARS and it just keeps going and take pretty good pictures. It also has an optical zoom which is the only way to zoom. When you are zooming in on an iPhone that is digital zoom and is essentially like zooming in on a computer screen. That's why it's grainy. You shouldn't even expect anything better zooming in on an iPhone unless you get the new one which does have some optical zoom built in now.

4. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

There is this saying "The best camera is the one you have with you." So get one that you will most likely carry with you. There are many camera review sites on the web. You might read some of them to find out which ones are the top recommended choices within your budget.

5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My mother in law has this one, I can't remember which year. She loves it! She tosses it in her purse and takes it everywhere. It get pretty good photos too.

Karen likes this.
  6. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

Canon Powershot! I am on my second....the first was dropped in water! lol
    I don't have a fancy phone. I love my photos. I take 100s a day....well used to..and plan on it again

Karen and bestcee like this.
  7. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

The new iphones have really upgraded the camera capabilities. They are more like cameras with phone attachments rather than phones with camera attachments. I have seen the ad for Mojo but haven't checked it out yet. Its by Verizon.

8. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I just happened to have a CreativeLive John Greengo Photography workshop running in the background while I was sup'd to be doing work ... (the work didn't get done so well! :giggle) but he listed his faves for Point & Shoot cameras. I took a screen shot in case you were still looking. I know nothing about any of these but thought I'd pass them along to you and maybe you could check out the specs ... ???

pointandshoot.jpg

busywoman139 likes this.
  9. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

I have a canon powershot too, and I love it. It's the SX 260. I've had it for a few years and it's very dependable. It has a great zoom on it, it's light weight, and easy enough for the kids to use, too. THere is a setting for 'action' shots where it will take a few pictures with just one click that is great for active kids or sporting events. I would recommend if you are planning on using it to take pictures ALL DAY at a museum or zoo where it is on all day, buy a spare battery!!! Mine always runs out half way through the day, and I end up using an older camera as a spare --or my husband's phone like we did this weekend in Pittsburgh! It's just one of those things I keep meaning to buy and just forget, so it would make sense to buy a spare right away!

10. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

If you want to spend a bit more, think about a mirrorless camera. I had the sony nex 4 and then got the 6 and next i will get the a6300 (still saving my pennies for that one). I got my first two on Craigs List for a really good price. They are small, light and fit into my purse. I have 3 lenses but generally use the mid range zoom.

I use my iPhone a lot too. Nothing beats that convenience and am eagerly awaiting the new one later this year. I held off on an upgrade this past winter b/c I am waiting for the next big leap in their technology.

busywoman139 likes this.
  11. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150K, and have had it for about 5 years. It's a large POS, but it has a long range zoom that I love. Yet it doesn't do very well in low light situations which is the only feature I'm disappointed with. If I could get the same camera in a smaller size, I'd upgrade in a flash (well, when I got the money for it). The Lumix has Leica lenses, which are the best in the business, which is one of the reasons I went with it. But you don't get the amazing clarity of the large DSLRs.

12. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

I have the Olympus TG3. The red one too!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! I've taken it on 2 Disney trips and a cruise when I didn't take my DSLR