Plan for 2017

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by tkradtke, Jan 6, 2017.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Yes, that's exactly what I need to work on...mindfulness!! :)

tkradtke likes this.
  2. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

I wish I had a plan. I think i'll try to sit down and hash something out so that I have a more clear-cut framework for 2017. I HAVE to make this be my year that I actually keep up and finish. I'm so sick and tired of getting to the end of the year with only 25-50% of the year really done and printed. Then I always feel like I'm playing catch up. Not cool.

I do really like the general idea of keeping a running stream of activity day to day rather than specifically breaking it up by weeks. that might be something I ponder a bit more to see if I think it will work for me. We'll see....

3. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

So far, so good with this plan (I know... it's only the 12th of the first month of the year.. lol!). I have completed four pages so far, and I truly love them. I have finally been able to accomplish the clean style I've always envied without having to cut out photos or journaling. My template process is much quicker now as I just go chronologically line by line. At first I thought it was a waste that I got the expanded template maker set by Mommyish with my plan to keep things simple... but it's been a godsend with being able to get the exact size I want without having to add filler shapes. When I have events with more photos or photos I want bigger, I plan to just do them in order but just dedicate a page (or set of pages) to the event. It is freeing to not worry about making sure I have two pages for everything... but it is a bit weird still with knowing when to work on my pages. I just have to gauge when I think I have enough to put on templates and work on my pages then. I'm afraid that if I don't develop some sort of routine, this will be my downfall this year.

bestcee likes this.
  4. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

Tracie, I'm fascinated by this approach and loving your pages. I worry that my books would be too huge because I always take too many photos and I wouldn't be forced to pare it down. I do like the fact that it wouldn't force me to jam so much into a 2 page spread, though. I've always wanted a cleaner style too. Very, very interesting.

5. tkradtke

Thanks @dawnmarch! I guess the first thing to take into account is how much other scrapping do you do? I do very little outside of PL... I will do a couple theme albums throughout the year (like trips), but the majority of my scrapping is PL. I am on track to have monster books printed this year with the rate I'm going with pages, but I'm okay with that. Last year my books were/will be significantly smaller than previous years because I tried to stick closely to just two pages per week. I had planned to scrap regular pages of events to add to the book, but I really struggled to keep up with those. In the end, I had cut out a lot of photos that I thought were going to get their own pages and pared down a lot of the stories I had planned on telling. Plus, I'm not even done with with books 2 and 3 of last year because my plan started to break down! All of this made me a little sad and I knew I needed a new plan. It does freak me out a little with how many pages I have per week so far, but I'm beginning to know what works for me and what's important to me and I'm just running with it! And I have to say... having the clean look I've always craved without having to cut out photos makes me way too happy! :giggle

bestcee likes this.
  6. QofK

QofK New Member

What is the expanded template maker by Mommyish? I have so much to learn about PL!

7. tkradtke

Here's the link...

https://the-lilypad.com/store/CU-Pocket-Template-Maker-2.html

You can make almost endless combinations of pocket sizes! I love being able to decide the size and orientation of all of the photos I want to use.

KellyM, RebeccaH and QofK like this.
  8. tkradtke

Aaaannnndddddddd.... now I've hit the wall that I hit two years ago (with making as many pages as it takes per week) and what caused me to change my plan last year. :cry

I've run out of stuff to use this month. Not really... but I'm weird about reusing the same stuff in my books. Once I use cards, I mentally "retire" them and although I'll continue to use the kit for other projects, I won't use it again in my PL book. When I download stuff, I usually have something in mind and use it right away. My new plan may end up being very expensive (or I'm going to have to get over my hangup about reusing stuff)!

bestcee likes this.
  9. Sindee

Sindee New Member

This is my 6th year documenting our lives with project life. I had a hard time this year deciding on a theme. Usually I'm ready for a new design, but this year seemed harder. I like things very clean and simple. I don't very often use any embellishments, but I do love looking at all of your beautiful pages. Also this is the only thing that I scrapbook, with the exception of a few travel books for trips, so this is the only record of our lives.

10. tkradtke

Welcome @Sindee! 6th year? That's great! This is year 5 for me (although I haven't quite finished last year yet). I love the clean and simple look... that's what I'm striving for this year. You sound a lot like me on this... this is basically the only scrapbooking I do which is what is driving my urge to include it all. I do make travel books too... but that's about it (I do make an attempt at Document Your December each year, but have yet to complete an album).

Sindee likes this.
  11. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

I am moving to a monthly format this year. I don't take enough day to day photos and prefer full page LOs. But I do take enough phone photos that would otherwise get lost. If I have "too many" for a month then I will either make a half sized insert or split the month into two halves.

12. dawnmarch

Could you modify the cards to "freshen" them up -- recolor, combine, make your own, erase the text and write something different?

13. hclappy

hclappy Active Member

This will be my 8th year doing P365/PL. Well technically 7th full year, since I started in August 2010. My plan is-

1) Make a mix of PL and traditional LO's. I like making layouts better, but I love the plethora of little details that I get from PL.

2) I don't care at all about being caught up. If I did, I never would've made it past 2011. I do them as I feel like it. I keep track by using smart folders in lightroom.

3) This year I'm changing things up and doing a single page every 3 days. Yes, that's a lot of pages, but not a whole lot more than if I were doing 1 double pager per week. Double pagers take me three times as long, so I'm saving time in the end :)

4) Events get one PL page + as many LO's as I want. Same with trips, one page per day + a bajillion layouts. (Travel pages are my favorite)

5) Follow Jennifer Wilson's Library of Memories + PL approach to my regular scrapping. Personality and thematic layouts were getting lost in my strictly chronological organization.

6) Mommyish template builder + Just Jaimee + whatever other kits tickle my fancy. I don't care about uniformity, except that I almost always add a white stroke to my photos and use a solid neutral-ish background. Still thinking about a possible new font. I usually use a mix of Architect's Daughter and Bariol. Would like to use more typewriter fonts.

7) Adjust as necessary. I'll probably do a Summer Daily and December Daily. They will live happily with the rest of my album though.

14. tkradtke

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to work on that since it's something I'm not real good at. For now, I'm going back and reusing some collections from early 2016. It's been long enough since I've last used them that they feel "new" again.

bestcee likes this.
  15. dawnmarch

Tracie, I'm curious how you're using products in your "perpetual" PL style. Do you fill in the photos and then find a kit or set of cards that coordinates with the 2 pager? Or are you doing it page by page or ?

16. tkradtke

The first option you mentioned is how it's beginning to evolve. With fewer photos it seems like a color or two really seems to stand out on the spread once I get the photos laid out. Like the set I'm working on right now, when I looked at the photos they are predominately dark (black or grey) with pops of red. So I decided I wanted to work with a black and white collection. I ended up reusing the May 2016 Storyteller which had grays, blacks, yellow and a pop or two of red. Somehow I see a blue theme arising in my next set of photos. Right now I'm using the same set of cards for both pages of the two page spread, but that might change when I have a multi-photo event.

17. dawnmarch

Thanks for all your input. It was like I could not wrap my mind around what you were doing and then a lightbulb came on and I thought "that's a brilliant idea". From my cross-examination, you can probably tell that I'm going to give it a try. :D

18. tkradtke

Yay! I figure that if it doesn't work, I can easily transition my project back into weekly spreads. But it's going to work!! :cheer

It took me a while to embrace this idea and really wrap my head around it as well. My plan for last year was NOT working at all for me, so I started looking at new ideas earlier in the year than I normally do. I'm really liking my pages so far and that you pretty much read them like a book... line by line, left to right. It has so simplified the whole process of picking and laying out photos. Due to getting way behind with last year, I've also tried to be good with jotting notes down for each day at night in my planner/diary so I know what we did for my journaling and to jog my memory about photos and where to find them (some are in my camera roll, some in our family's shared iCloud album, some in texts, etc).

Hopefully with both of us working on a similarly structured project, we can help each other out when we get stuck!!

19. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

Oh, @tkradtke , this thread is right up my alley. I have been Project Life'ing for 5 years, starting year 6. With three teenagers it is INCREASINGLY harder each year to get pictures of them. Yes, I ask them for their pics (since they each take a zillion selfies a day) and yet they don't seem to have any to share :cornfused go figure!

A two page spread gets harder and harder as a result. So, my plan for this year it to allow myself more freedom. I am moving to an 8x10 page - scary - LOL! Which still kind of freaks me out! I am also going to allow myself to do one page per week if I only have enough decent pictures for one page. If I have more, I will do a 2 pager. I hate trying to use crappy pics to fill my pages. And most importantly, as for goals, I am going to try to get my super fancy camera out more often. That is the real struggle. Although I have to admit the iPhone 7+ camera is pretty awesome!

As for style, I have already transition to cleaner, less cluttered pages. I still swoon at others more busy pages, but the clean style works well for me. :)

Looking forward to seeing what everyone creates!