Physical Supplies - SecondEssentials

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by DraeScraps, Jan 8, 2018.

1. DraeScraps

DraeScraps Active Member

Hey friends. So I'm getting more and more comfortable with a transition into digital scrapping, but I still love my "real" supplies for cards and the occasional craft project. I'm looking to start purging the supplies that I won't need anymore and I was curious- what do you consider your "secondessentials"?

I consider these like 'second breakfasts' for hobbits. Obviously I need pens, a papercutter, a score tool, a craft mat, adhesive, and those kinds of basics...but what is that second tier of loved supplies you kept (or wish you had!) when you transitioned? Minc machines, cricuts, die cuts, etc.

Also, if you had to choose between 12x12 and 81/2x11, what would you keep?

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I kept 12x12. I can always cut it down to 8.5 by 11 and I scrap in 12x12. I will admit I kept my white 8.5 x11. Mostly because I used it for other things. And it's great for printing on through the printer. I do love when I cut down the 12x12 because I automatically have a nice 3.5 strip of paper to match with the card.
    I kept pens, because why not? {Note: I'm a pen collector} I do use them outside of just crafting. Markers I ditched. Except for the special machine markers. Kept my paper cutter, scorer, craft mat, and tape gun. I did go down to just the Cutterpillar and ditched the fiskars cutters, and other backups. I have a Silhouette, and an eClips machine. So, the mats and blades with those. I also have the Sizzix embossing machine - the purse hand crank one. I kept that with the dies for cards. But I'll admit I haven't used it much. I keep twine for tags on gifts. If not for that, I would get rid of it. I love sticker paper! It's so easy to print and cut to use with hybrid projects. Oh! I kept my craft knife. It gets used a lot outside of crafting. For adhesive: I kept the ATG gun, but got rid of all the little photo squares. I'd rather use sticker paper or my tape gun.

I gave away my stickers, embellishments, and any paper patterns I wasn't in love with. I'd rather print those off. I got rid of all scissors that weren't straight cut. I'd rather make fancy edges with the Silhouette the once in awhile I do that.

When I first started, I stuck everything I thought I'd be okay without in a box. After 3 months, whatever was in the box I got rid of. I actually didn't pull much out (just twine!), but I noticed I added more in since the box was there and convenient.

Mylinn and DraeScraps like this.
  3. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I say, dump it all, clear it out and go digital and enjoy it to the utmost (because I am scared of scissors and glue) just figured out how to use washi tape...tee hee

Cherylndesigns and DraeScraps like this.
  4. bestcee

Thanks for the reminder @AnneofAlamo
    I also kept washi tape. Because we use it for everything! I love it.

AJK and DraeScraps like this.
  5. _scrapaholic_

_scrapaholic_ Well-Known Member

I got rid of nearly everything I can print & cut. everything else is still in my stash.

DraeScraps likes this.
  6. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

If you plan on making cards, I would suggest keeping some of those things so you can embellish on the card stock.

7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Well, I am 100% digital for my scrapbooking and I did get rid of a ton of my crafting supplies only to discover the joy of art journaling in real life... the things I regret getting rid of were all of my large background stamps from my stamping and card making days. I didn't think I'd ever use them again as I didn't intend to make cards anymore. I am glad I kept all my punches and papers though. The stickers I used to potty train my kids (lol!) and I haven't regretted that at all.

8. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

A Cutterpillar is on my wishlist. I am guessing since you kept it that it is a worthwhile investment.

Mylinn and bestcee like this.
  9. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I think the ONLY thing I hoarded from paper scrapping was PAPER lol. I actually kept most of it until about a month ago then put at least half in our garage sale pile because the patterns just are not me anymore... or maybe never were.

I utilize so much of my supplies with my daughter when we craft. She is nine now and we LOVE to make stuff together. Cardstock is SO MUCH better than construction paper. All the various size hole punches, ribbon, tiny alpha rubber stamps (pretty much the only stamps I ever owned).., it’s all been used to create with her. So, I guess deciding what to keep is also heavily influenced by what else you may do with it.

bestcee likes this.
  10. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Before I got rid of all my supplies.... I kept paper, paper cutters, ribbons, fasteners, eyelets, some washi, and little things.

11. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

NOTE...I am a hybrid scrapper with very few digital pages....so more paper than digital. But I did a HUGE purge and got rid of things I didn't love. I did keep punches, die cutting machines, stamps, cardstock and pattern papers/collections that I loved. I am on an embellishment team, so I have a lot of those from that, but that is something I would keep also. Enamel Dots, washi, twine/ribbon, markers, stencils, etc. Basically anything that if I could print the paper and use the tool it I kept. Now, I did get rid of punches that I didn't love for example. But I got rid of A LOT!

I did get rid of a few

12. bestcee

Yep! I have the smaller one that the arm folds in. I tell paper scrappers all the time: it must be good if this Digi girl kept hers!
    I love it for cutting laminated sheets, pages that are slightly too big for page protectors since it'll cut off the tiniest slice. Even dh has pulled it out when cutting multiple pages instead of scissors.

13. DraeScraps

DraeScraps Active Member

I'm so glad you reminded me I can do print and cut!

14. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

@DraeScraps Drae - I'm a hybrid scrapper that still clings to everything paper (yep, I've got those Fiskars you mentioned still), but I LOVE digital too! I'm jealous you worked at Archiver's...what a dream job. It broke my heart when they closed. I was able to buy some of their store fixtures, and I have them installed in my scrap room. So, I'll always have a piece of them with me. :heartlub

Keep in mind that I am biased. The thought of purging supplies (either paper or digital) makes me want to hurl a little. Seriously. I. LOVE. IT. ALL! Despite that, if you're going to try hybrid, I would hold off on purging your paper supplies until you find your hybrid style (which will be a little different from pure paper just due to the nature of the beast). You can always get rid of stuff. Regret stinks.

In my hybrid process, other than the obvious things that are necessary (paper trimmer, fine-tipped scissors, adhesives, cardstock, craft mat, staples, Glossy Accents for me, etc.), my MOST necessary thing is my Sizzix Big Shot. I do have a Silhouette Cameo that I use on a regular basis (I get $400 worth of cut files per month with my subscription to the store, so I better use it...lol), but I actually prefer my Sizzix and traditional dies. Dies are usually expensive, but I've recently discovered AliExpress and get them via this outlet for only a few dollars + free shipping. You just have to be prepared to wait up to 2 months to get them.

I recently got 6x8 planner+traveler's notebook dies, so I bought the Sizzix XL Big Shot for myself for Christmas, which will cut 8-1/2 x 11 (US letter-sized paper). So excited! I can print out a full sheet of digital paper and can use twice as many dies at one time per page. No need to cut the paper down. Love it! I also like to use digi papers with my embossing folders and stamps. I've owned a Cuttlebug but sold it. I prefer Sizzix 100%.

I keep all of my elements & collections separated in Iris cases (i.e. one for arrows; another for hearts; one for stars; one for food-themed elements, and so on...). My Copic, Zig Clean Color, stamping & journaling markers are in containers on my desk since I use them regularly for cards & recoloring non-digital elements. Paints, dyes, textures & other art supplies are also out & available (I'm also a watercolorist). I keep my washi in washi drop-down drawers that are stacked on a credenza. I have a wall organization system for my ribbon/tissue/crepe paper and Thickers. Punches are in an organizer hanging on the back of a door. I use the Tim Holtz stamp carousels for date/roller stamps. My space has been designed around my stuff, so I don't let it go. :D

I think I've gotten completely away from your original question. Sorry...I get so excited thinking about scrappy supplies that my brain goes off on a tangent....lol.

IF I HAD TO KEEP ONLY A FEW THINGS THAT ARE IN ADDITION TO ESSENTIALS, THEY WOULD BE:
    1) My Sizzix & Silhouette machines w/all of my dies/cut files;
    2) My sewing machine
    (I sew on most of my hybrid pages);
    3) My ribbon stash (I'd keep it over my washi);
    4) My paints.
    =====
    THIRD-TIER ITEMS WOULD BE:
    1) Stamps & inks;
    2) My Misti(s);
    3) Markers/pens;
    4) Brads/eyelets/enamel dots
    (I can make these with Glossy Accents).

15. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I have been doing digi for almost 12 years but I have also kept most of my paper scrappin supplies. I have a whole room in the basement full of them. I use them all the time for school projects and just letting my kids and their friends create. In fact, just this week I pulled out my cricut and old sizzix die cut machine to help DD make a science project board. We have it all laid out and are going to glue it on tonight or tomorrow, whenever her project partner can come back.
    ScienceProject_web.jpg
    Definitely keep the cardstock and any die cuts, cutting tools and punches that you like. You'll be glad you did if you have kids that will be needing them for school projects. I also kept my brads and I love using them to attach silk flowers to cards and gift bags.

londoncuppa likes this.
  16. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I still have everything. BUT I also have a craft room with a walk in closet so it is all organized (hmmmmm most of the time)
    I would say if you NEED to purge to make room, look at a item and think is this a necessary tool for what I will be doing. If so keep. If not put in donate box.
    Good luck!

londoncuppa likes this.
  17. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm almost 100% digital, but I kept all of my sheets of 12 x 12 paper that I loved and I have lots of 8 1/2 x 11 paper. Kept my Cuttlebug and all of my dies, and I had my Boston cutter before I ever even started scrapbooking. I'd never get rid of that. I kept all of my punches, and a few stamps and all of my buttons. I still have all of my mixed media "stuff" and tons of ribbon and twine. I have 3 cabinets full of embellies of all kinds. If I ever decide to make something, I'll have the supplies. My grandson occasionally wants to craft, so we get a bunch of stuff out.

18. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I am purging craft supplies now. I've been completely digital for scrapbooking since 2012. I use my planner as a sort of hybrid outlet, and I did some kids crafts with Kate's doodles while I was on her team for 2 years. I am keeping washi tape, pens, markers, glue sticks, scissors, punches and *some* paper. These are things I use for my planner stuff. I have one additional box for kids craft stuff (clothespins, pin poms, googly eyes, magnets, buttons, etc), but I made it all fit into one box (downsize and organize!). I tried to think about what I would actually hand my kids to do in order to make these decisions... I would not hand them a bottle of glue on their own, so my 6 extra bottles went away. I would not give them a plastic packet of glitter, so it went away. (I definitely don't want to clean up a glitter or glue mess after a 4 or 5 year old played with it, so that really helped me make those parting decisions). I also found that if I granted myself permission to keep some of whatever it was, but not all... as in, "here's your container and that's all you get" I was happier with the things I kept. I chose smaller containers for this process *wink*

I got rid of all my old stickers except my planner specific ones. I am still deciding on how much ribbon I will keep for making hair stuff for my daughter, and whether or not I will keep my embossing tool/powders...

When I am honest with myself, I enjoy the shopping process almost as much (and maybe more) than the craft itself. My home does not need to be a craft store shelf. When I want to do a craft - and have time set aside to actually do that craft - I can determine what I need to buy and how much I can spend on it... then enjoy both the shopping and the crafting part.

These are all tips that I heard or are helping me. Hope you find them helpful. :)

bestcee likes this.
  19. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Right there with you! I do All three: (or should I say four?)
    Paper ( beach of my kids have their own albums that I will soon pass on)
    Digital (to include designing)
    hybrid (print, use)
    and "reverse hybrid" - make, photograph & digitize.
    I wouldn't part with any of it! :giggle

londoncuppa likes this.