Photoshop Newbie

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by JenniferJ, Jan 22, 2017.

1. JenniferJ

JenniferJ Ain't nothing that a Krispy Kreme can't fix

Okay so I have been a Paint Shop Pro junkie every since I started digi-scrapping but it is getting harder and harder to find tutorials or new stuff to do on it so I have made the decision to try out Photo Shop since there are sooooo many fun tutorials and most folks use it over Paint Shop now BUT as I begin my search for obtaining this new to me design program I am feeling overwhelmed!!!!

Silly me thought it would be as simple as heading to the store and picking up "Photo Shop" but have found there are SO MANY to choose from and I have no clue what I need as a beginner! Can somebody steer me in the right direction? I need something for a newbie to Photo Shop that is on the affordable side because I have limited amount of funds to use so what I get is gonna have to amuse me for a while. Also where is the best place to purchase the program that you all most use to purchase your programs?

Thanks for any help in advance! :bk

2. barbaraj

barbaraj Well-Known Member

I have PhotoshopElements 11 and it does almost everything I want. I don't know if you can still buy it. Maybe someone knows of a link. You could also try PSE15 for 30 days free to see if you like this instead of the big, complex, confusing Photoshop itself. Unless you are very brave!

JenniferJ likes this.
  3. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Yes, I agree with Barbara. Photoshop Elements (PSE) should meet all your needs and can be bought unlike PS which you have to buy as a monthly subscription now, they don't sell stand-alone copies of it anymore (unless you find an older one CS6 or less but you will not be able to get updates or fixes when it goes glitchy in the future which can happen over time). The newest version of PSE is 15 but I think many here have vs 11 or 12. There are lots of tutorials online to watch.

JenniferJ likes this.
  4. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I recommend Photoshop Elements for starting out too. I only started using full Photoshop because I read something about the possibility of Lightroom being added to the subscription model. I pay $8 month (until the special deal I got through Clickinmoms ends; after that it'll be $10/month) for the "Photographer Plan" with Adobe, which includes full Photoshop and Lightroom. I love the slightly more full PS can do compared to Photoshop Elements, but I was never feeling PSE was lacking. They keep adding more and more to it every year. I used PSE for 8 years and never learned it all! If I ever decide I can't afford the monthly fee to Adobe, I'd only miss having the newest version of Lightroom, not PS too much; I'd be fine with my old copy of PSE11.

JenniferJ likes this.
  5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

PSE. I believe if you create an account, you can get 30 days free trial!
    (http://www.adobe.com/downloads.html) Last one on the bottom.

It will be difficult at first, but give yourself the time and take it slow. Ask questions, and don't wait to ask. The frustration will just push you away from the software. :)

JenniferJ likes this.
  6. JenniferJ

Thank you all so much for the advice! I think several years ago i did "try" it for all of a day or so but after using Paint Shop Pro for sooooo long it's kinda hard to just pick up and "relearn" things. LOL

Would it be sound to buy a program like this at Walmart or online at Amazon or should I buy straight from the company?

7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I think buying PSE at a local store would be fine. I haven't done so in many years though; I like being able to download.

JenniferJ likes this.
  8. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

@JenniferJ I bought PSE 15 from Amazon with no problems just before Christmas. As long as it's new there usually aren't any problems.

JenniferJ likes this.
  9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I bought PSE13 from Amazon, and PSE11 from Costco. No problem doing another company, and you might find it cheaper than Adobe! I do recommend making sure you aren't buying a used copy.

I also recommend not grabbing PSE12, as most scrappers have been more frustrated with that version than the others!

JenniferJ likes this.
  10. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

@JenniferJ I'm right there with you learning. I haven't tried as much this month as I had planned. But we can do this

JenniferJ and bestcee like this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Oh, my goodness, don't worry about the trying this month! @carilyne Focus on one thing at a time! January MOC; February learning! :giggle Otherwise, you might be acting like this: :furious Or maybe it's just me that goes :hairpolwhen trying to scrap fast, and learn something new!

JenniferJ likes this.
  12. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

When I bought my copy off Amazon it was $79.99 (that's the current price for Amazon & Adobe) but have seen it as low as $59.99 there too

JenniferJ likes this.
  13. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I was delusional in December and the first of January -- when I was in burnout. Only one try in January and I said forget it

JenniferJ and bestcee like this.
  14. JenniferJ

Thank you so much ladies! :bk