Photoshop elements 15 layer question

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by nfenchak, Jan 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nfenchak

nfenchak Where is my personal shopper?

Hello, I just bought and started using PSE15 a few days ago. I'm used to using pse10. Before when I would add a paper to a where I wanted it, I would click on the layer I wanted it to clip to, drag it to the layout and then hit control g and it would automatically put it where I wanted it. Now for some reason it doesn't always (like only 2 or 3 times did it) put it above the layer I clicked on first. And control G no longer clips - it creates a group. Why is it no longer putting it above the layer I clicked on? and how can I make this process easy again?

Thanks,
    Nadine

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

They added groups to pse 15, new feature! To clip, the shortcut is cntrl+alt+g. Which is actually the same as PSCC now.
    The layer thing I'm not sure. But hopefully someone will come by that is using pse 15!

3. aballen

aballen Don't make me break out the milk

The shortcut is Crtl+alt+G or you can select the layer you want to clip from the layers palette and right click on it, there will be an option there. I had PSE 10 too and I miss this shortcut the most, :(
    I have yet to figure out a better way to deal with the layers issue. They just seem to drop on top of whatever layer happens to be on top of where you drop the new layer. You have to be more deliberate about where you drop it. If you place your mouse over the layer that you want to be underneath the new one it will work. Not very practical when you have many layers.

bestcee likes this.
  4. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I have had the same issue of new layers going where they want to with PSE13. The fix is said to be clicking on the actual item ON your layout that you want underneath your new item. I do that once in a while but sometimes I have the Move Auto Select on and sometimes off so that messes with trying to select the old layer. I don't have PSE 15 installed yet but when I do I'll try to remember to check this.

nfenchak and aballen like this.
  5. nfenchak

Thanks so much - that works perfectly (unless the layer is really tiny and then you miss and end up sticking it at another layer underneath, lol - thanks so much!

6. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

You're welcome...and I see you're just up the road from me.."hon!" :hi5

nfenchak likes this.
  7. nfenchak

Maureen, I love Annapolis!!

8. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

You can right click in the layer you want to clip and a drop down menu will give you the option as well. That works better for me when I have a gabillion layers while creating a paper, haha!

bellbird likes this.
  9. LBscraps

LBscraps Well-Known Member

I struggled with this like crazy this morning, as I am trying to learn PSE (I'm an Artisan scrapper). I have d/l'd both PSE 15 and 2018 to try, but I have PSE10 and had been playing with that over the last week or so.

It turns out that it has nothing to do with clicking on anything, or the layers panel itself. It is that when you drag in whatever you are dragging you need to PLACE IT (with the little hand that appears) smack dab on what you want it above. And for little things, just make the area bigger (CTRL+) until it is easier to see exactly where you'll drop it.

HALLELUJAH!!!! Thankful for one of my PSE friends who figured out my issue! And thankful to another who pointed me to this thread, and others, as I learn!!!

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

There are a few quirks that changed from PSE10 to PSE11 and on. Like the way you install styles is much much easier in the later editions!
    Good luck as you learn!

cfile likes this.
  11. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

YES!! Downloading layer styles was such a pain in the rear! I love how it's so easy now!