Organize Your Pad: My Photo Organization

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by jenevang, Jun 23, 2014.

1. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

2. sushimommy

sushimommy Could you point me to the helipad?

you missed the part where you are coming to my house and applying all your super powers to my umpteen-gazillion photos! ;) awesome post!!

3. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

Yipee! I totally took a screen shot of your explanation in the forum a bit back so I could remember what you did. Now I don't have to remember it is all written out for me :)

4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Something I do different: I have dropbox set up to automatically upload photos from my phone and dh's. This makes it super easy to scrap project life. It also means that since the photos are uploaded, and then backed up online, I don't lose phone photos. My phone memory card went bad, and I would have lost all my phone photos were it not for dropbox!

I don't use lightroom, but I've heard you can set it up to watch a folder, the same way PSE organizer watches my phone photo folder.

5. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

Awesome addition, Courtney. I tried that with Dropbox as well, but found I just didn't love it. I'm not a Dropbox fan but I suspect it has to do with my upload speed. It's crapola with Dropbox but quick and easy when I'm "attached". I think there are several who use dropbox folders and it's a great addition to the flow if it works for you! Thanks.

6. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

I need to find out about that--that seems like a very cool feature.

7. bestcee

8. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

Loved your blog post, Jen!

9. grrfluudy

grrfluudy This? Oh it's just my million dollar pen.

Great post Jen! Thanks!

10. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

any setting in bridge, so it doesn't change the date the photo was taken?

11. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

What did you do to the photo in Bridge and what exactly changed? I've never had the creation date change in Bridge before.

12. Cath_

it wrote the meta code with todays date, kept the date when it was copied to hard drive, but didn't retain orginal time stamp of the photo,

13. lorryfach

What did you do in Bridge before this happened?

Cath_ likes this.
  14. Cath_

I just ran it, didn't change any setting

15. lorryfach

Bridge doesn't edit the metadata on all your files as soon as you open it, though. Something has to happen that would trigger it to do that. Are you viewing these time stamps in Bridge or in Explorer? Maybe a screenshot would help.

16. Cath_

found my mavica cameria reset itself, i have pics with same name, but are differant. No wonder i seem to missing so many pics. Go back to the floppy's to get, like what 6 off 1 floppy.Not my day

17. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Cool info guys. Thanks Jen. Adding this to my OneNote notes for scrapbooking.

18. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Here I am resurrecting an old post again. :) I guess I'm feeling like reading more than scrapping this morning.
    It's funny, I had come across Jen's photo organizing blog post last May during iNSD (you can see my comment on it) and indeed wrote myself a pop up reminder to read the blog regularly, starting with THIS post. It has been popping up on my phone every Monday all summer, but I've only managed to read the blog a few times. So it's funny that this morning, my scrolling through the Learning Pad brought me back to this photo organization blog post I'd wanted to return to since last May.

Anyway, I'm not just rambling. I have a question.

Do you keep Lightroom open while scrapping in Photoshop? You don't find it slows down your computer?

I'm babying my old 2011 iMac so I try to minimize what I ask it to do, and usually only open one or the other of my most demanding programs, LR and PS. But I like your suggestion of marking photos with colors for "to scrap" and "scrapped" and I'm considering doing that. I had started doing it with color tags in Finder last year, but somewhere along the line, I forgot to keep doing it. I guess I could start that up again.

19. bestcee

I giggled when I was reading down this thread because: I do use Lightroom now. AND I still use Dropbox. I love that Lightroom autoimports my Dropbox photos!

To your question: Yes, I keep Lightroom open on my desktop while I scrap. No, I do not keep it open on my laptop when I scrap. On the laptop, it slows it down. On the desktop, no problem.

bellbird and michelepixels like this.
  20. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

When I'm just scrapping by myself and not doing a live event, I usually keep Photoshop, Lightroom, and Bridge open. When I'm doing a live event in Adobe Connect, I find that I end up grabbing my photos that I need and editing them, then closing out Lightroom. Having all of those open at once starts to give me a bit of lag that I don't like.

bellbird and michelepixels like this.