Organize Your Pad: Font Management

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by jenevang, Mar 25, 2014.

1. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

I discovered that I have 890 fonts in my collection and it seems to grow all the time, LOL. I know you have too many as well :giggle so no judging.

Check out this blog post for suggestions on organizing them all!

jesskab likes this.
  2. Roboliver

Roboliver I feel right at home at the Glitter Gulch!

Hey thanks! I have 764 fonts & after having so many all of a sudden some of them would not show up in Photoshop. I ended up using Font Book & put some in different folders so I can open only certain folders at a time. Nice!

3. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

Thanks for this, Jen.. at one point my fonts were in the quadruple digits.. :circles: When I reformatted my computer last summer I never put them all back on - which has been nice for speed - but a real pain in the patooky when I had to dig out the EHD to get a font I know is on there.. A font manager has been on my to-do list for ages.. Maybe now I'll finally take the leap and get'er'done! :)

4. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

Great suggestions!

5. kimberley72

kimberley72 New Member

Shannon - I have the same problem… they disappear from the list in PSE…. I have categorised them in Font Book… but how do you open up only certain folders at a time? that would be FAB to be able to do that...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  6. fifibear

fifibear New Member

I have 2103 fonts; way too many but I spent a weekend a month or so ago and categorised them all in Nexus Font. Super easy to do and much easier to choose a font to use now. Would highly recommend categorising if you can find the time.

7. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

Is it the free version you use? I remember having tried it in the past, but I deleted it since it didn't really work for me.
    It's so long ago I can't remember why though :think

8. fifibear

fifibear New Member

Yes it is the free version. I previously used Font Viewer (another freebie) but find Nexus Font more user friendly.

Since my previous post I've added another 27 fonts to my collection! I created another category in Nexus Font too and called it "new". I figure if I acquire a new font I really should use it so I wanted somewhere to easily find my unused fonts. You can put fonts into multiple categories so I can categorise new fonts as handwriting, grunge or whatever and still find them in the "new" folder. The plan is to remove them from the "new folder" once I have used them.

9. PLM

Great idea!!! I'll need to look back into it...

10. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Ah, it's the organizing of the fonts...I had mine fairly organized (1600+ now) but with a OS upgrade, my Font Book which had been acting wonky, started flying right but my categories disappeared. I do have many many turned off and while I like wordmarkit, each page only had a certain # and so it's add page by page until I get fed up and just pick a font.

Most of my pages end up having fonts with names that start in the first half of the alphabet for that reason!

11. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

Do you use Nexus just as a preview to see the font you want to use or do you use it some way to get the uninstalled font into Photoshop? I use PSE and heard you can get the uninstalled fonts into it but I've not been able to figure out how.

12. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

How did I miss this?? I have so many fonts that I could hop right over them all! I need a font management system!!

[​IMG]

13. lmjrocko

lmjrocko See that in my rear view mirror? That's Michigan!

14. Arumrose

Arumrose Filling up my passport!

I personnaly used AMP Font Viewer that allow me to install a font just for one layout only... love it

15. Nanascraps

Nanascraps Member

Wow, thanks for sharing that blog post! I'm very new to Mac, and did not know about FontBook. Very helpful stuff, even though I don't have very many fonts.....yet. :)

16. PLM

Okay, so I noted down to look into this in 2015....

17. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

Not many font? You just wait, hehe... they are addictive! Welcome to The Lilypad!

18. SanVHM

SanVHM Pluk de dag!

I've got way to many fonts on my PC too, so thx for the tips... gonna restash my fonts today!

19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i tried wordmark it just now and i think it only finds fonts installed on my harddrive? i keep everything on EHD's so i don't think it's helpful for those that store fonts like me ... feel free to correct me because it would be a great alternative to other font mgmt progs

20. zanthia

zanthia CT - Kate Hadfield

love amp font viewer so don't have to instal fonts and it is free!