oddly shaped text box

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by michelepixels, Sep 3, 2017.

1. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I made this page this morning. See my journal spot at the bottom? I wanted to make the journal box fill in that space, along the diagonal edge of the map paper, and maybe even a couple of lines underneath the house photo. I remember learning a way to make a shape with the pen tool and then I think using a keyboard shortcut while clicking in the shape just before beginning to type. All my search efforts have led me astray and I gave up and just typed in a rectangle. I don't want to use the custom shape tool because none of the custom shapes are the shape of that area on this page. I'm sure I learned a text technique using a pen tool or lasso tool, involving tracing whatever shape we want. Can you help me remember how to fill in an oddly shaped area with text? Thank you!
    [​IMG]

2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

michele - see if one of these methods will work for you. farrah did a write up on several ways to journal with text in PS: in this thread

michelepixels likes this.
  3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Yes! Thanks for finding that for me. I think that's the thread where I learned the technique, with the pen tool. I'm amazed it was just back in April.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  4. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

If you want one more way to do this... I do mine a little differently.

1. I create a rectangle that covers past where I want to journal and overlaps all the elements and photos.
    2. Rasterize the rectangle.
    3. Ctrl-click on the icon for one of the layers (in your case start with the slanted photo).
    4. go to Select, Expand and expand your selection about 15-20 pixels.
    5. select the rasterized rectangle layer (henceforth know as the "journal shape") and hit delete.
    6. repeat steps 3-5 for each wonky shape around where you want your journaling. Basically you are creating a shape for your journaling to go inside and you want it to be slightly smaller than all the shape surrounding your journal area.
    7. Once you "journal shape" is the way you want it, Ctrl-click on the icon for the "journal shape" layer. This puts marching ants around your journal shape. Click on the Path tabs (mine is in the same palette as my layers) and find the Create Path button along the bottom. Click that and you've created a perfect path for your journaling to fit inside.
    8. Turn off the "journal shape" layer and then add your text inside the path you created.

I am doing this from memory without Photoshop in front of me, so if you have questions, just ask and I'll look up and make snapshots once I have Photoshop in front of me. :) A video would be so much clearer here too.

Christina W and cfile like this.