Need file size suggestions...

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges 2018' started by mollyscraps, Jan 8, 2018.

1. mollyscraps

mollyscraps Feeding everyone's sweet tooth

I just finished the 20 pic collage LO for the 7th. Even after flattening and reducing the file to 300 x 300 72 dpi it is still 1.5M. I am assuming it is the quality of the photos. Any suggestions for getting it down to the gallery max?

2. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Are you using Photoshop? Did you try the SAVE FOR WEB option? There you can indicate your file width & height and check your file size to ensure it is within the size limits. I didn't have any issues with SAVE FOR WEB. There may be someone else out here that can give you a more thorough explanation.

mollyscraps likes this.
  3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I agree with Marilyn, whenever my usual resizing gives me a crazy large file size, I resort to the Save for Web option just just bump down the quality number until it's small enough to upload. Hope this helps!

mollyscraps and cfile like this.
  4. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

This is the free action to resize, I have been using for years:

[​IMG]

and another:

[​IMG]

busywoman139 and mollyscraps like this.
  5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

If the save for Web doesn't work... try opening your psd again, and re-saving to a new file. Maybe something was getting corrupted in the save process that is wreaking havoc on the sizing.

mollyscraps and cfile like this.
  6. mollyscraps

mollyscraps Feeding everyone's sweet tooth

Thank you for all the suggestions! I have never used an action to save for the web but I think I just fell in love!

Jems, bestcee, mcurtt and 1 other person like this.
  7. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Also what you might want to check is if you saved the image as a .jpeg or maybe as a .psd. A jpeg at 300x300 at 1.5 MB sounds rather big. Maybe you didn't change the file type when you saved it. Just a thought.

8. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

You have gotten the help you needed, I was just going to say I also use the Save for Web button.

9. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Rikki, if you use a lot of paper the file size will be huge.. I then use the save for web action by Paislee and that makes it to 250 or less by adjusting the percentage :)

10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

When mine is misbehaving, and won't save small after I've used the save for web action, I have another trick.
    I stamp a layer at the top (Ctrl+alt+shift+e in Photoshop or elements), move it to a new blank page, and then save for web. It always fixes whatever was causing the issue.

But do try save for web first! That's the easiest.

busywoman139 and cfile like this.
  11. Jems

Jems Well-Known Member

Love these tips, thanks everyone for sharing I frequently struggle with this!

bestcee likes this.
  12. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I don't have an answer for you - but I keep reading the title of this thread as "Need Life Sized Suggestions". So I keep wondering if these are "life changing" suggestions, suggestions slightly smaller than "bigger than life", or just suggestion about life in general....

13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I love it! That would be awesome!

14. suzyqscraps

suzyqscraps How now brown cow

Just another thought -- sometimes if several items are "hanging" off the edge, it can make the file size big. After you resize, right-click on one of your layers and choose "Merge Visible." This will get rid of anything hanging off the edge, & should reduce the file size. :)

bestcee likes this.
  15. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I do "flatten image", then image size 72 dpi 600x600, then I do export -> save to web. I choose the quality that gets me under 250.