Monthly Muse May 2017 - Week 1

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by bcgal00, May 1, 2017.

1. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Welcome to the Art Journaling Monthly Muse!
    [​IMG]

There will be four weekly challenges, starting on Monday, May 1st, May 8th, May 15th and May 22nd, which will all be tied into this months' muse of "color emotion".

May Muse: Color Emotion

Art journaling is a very subjective process, subjective to the artist's interpretion. One common goal is to self-express through your layout what you are feeling, seeing, thinking, etc. Color can be very impactful in expressing that. Color can set the tone for your layout, can help to express the emotion.

Pinterest link for Ann Baldwin Photography
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/235172411767329277/
    The color blocking in the layout, for me, evokes a sense of change, of flight, moving forward through the seasons.
    [​IMG]

Inspiration: Color Blocking
    Week 1 - May 1st
    [​IMG]

Color blocking can be useful to either globally or selectively draw attention to your design, and help to create a mood, a tone, for your layout. How impactful the blocking is depends on the colors, opacity and size. Color blocking isn't just stamping a color, it can include texture, overlays, brushwork, etc. Part of the fun of color blocking is to let your imagination take over. When you create your layout for week 1, I would like you to create a color block on your layout.

For my layout, I used both brushes and paper masks to create the strip of color blocking across the horizon of my photo mask, to draw your eye toward it, to show my focus of the page, while using word art and journaling to also help express the intent of my page.

[​IMG]

Available still are the template set from @Scrapping with Liz if would like to continue with the Skinnies. If you do decide to go for the Skinnies, you can find the templates available HERE. In addition @cfile created one cool triangle template that you could use (Christa's awesome template is HERE on PSD- let us know if you need any other format!).

Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month, even more incentives for your inspiration! You can use any products in The Lilypad store, make sure you follow our gallery guidelines. Pages are due last day of the month.

If you have any questions, ask here in this thread. Have fun and I can't wait to see how "color emotion" is used in your art journal page.

2. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

wow ! great challenge and I love your page Rae @bcgal00

3. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Oh, what an awesome challenge, love it! Your layout is very inspiring and I really like the second example with the collage papers. Off to think about this.

4. mimisgirl

mimisgirl It's all about ME!

HOW FUN! I love using photography as inspiration - and COLOR Blocking is so fun! Love this! - off to cruise your links!

5. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Sounds interesting! I already have some ideas in my head... Thanks for the inspiration!

6. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

My mind is going at it right now, so many ideas! Love this Rae!

7. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

I created an ATC for this week's challenge.
    [​IMG]

flowersgal likes this.
  8. Melhope1230

Melhope1230 Well-Known Member

Here's mine, I hope it fits what you were explaining:
    [​IMG]

jwalls39 and wvsandy like this.
  9. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I was so excited to see how color blocking was being used. WTG ladies...they are awesome!

10. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Well, I said once before I was going to join this and then totally forgot about it!! I am DOING IT this month!!!!! :agree

wvsandy likes this.
  11. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Very exciting challenge!

12. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

13. dancingJaye

dancingJaye Well-Known Member

Oh NO!!! I just finished my week one page and went to get the link for the kit from the store to put in my description....and it's no longer in the store!!! Does that mean I have to start over, or are (very recently) retired kits allowed???
    Thanks!

mimisgirl likes this.
  14. Rikki

As far as I am aware everything is allowed as long as it is from one of the current TLP designers. @bcgal00 Correct me if I am wrong, please.

15. Rikki

I love color blocking (or rather paper blocking) when I do AJ pages...
    This is what i came up with

[​IMG]

flowersgal likes this.
  16. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@dancingJaye I'm going to double check but I believe that 75% of layouts need to use current products in the store (so only 25% can be other products). I will get clarification on this and let you know for sure.

17. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@dancingJaye You are fine....here's the official rules.

Gallery Rules
    We are enjoying ALL the fabulous work being shared in the gallery.

Please keep in mind that, while we do enjoy seeing products from other designers outside TLP, we attempt to keep the focus on the TLP staff.

That being said, please abide by the following gallery posting rules:
    1. Layouts must include at least 50% TLP products, current, retired or freebies, the other 50% can be from anywhere else. Templates are counted as 15%. Tools wouldn't be counted.
    2. No off-site linking
    3. List all credits

dancingJaye likes this.
  18. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

19. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

[​IMG]

BevG likes this.
  20. dancingJaye

dancingJaye Well-Known Member

Thank you for checking!!