Monthly Muse June 2017 - Week 2

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by wombat146, Jun 12, 2017.

1. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

600 monthly muse.jpg

This month's muse is THE SEA.

Welcome back to Week 2 :)

Here is the main muse inspiration I want to use this month, drawing various inspirations from it to work on each week. There will be four weekly challenges, starting on Monday, June 5, June 12, June 19 and June 26. I hope you will join me! :)

I found this image on Pinterest and have created a MUSE - THE SEA board where you can find it, along with some other images that speak to me in some way. Feel free to take a look and perhaps create a board for yourself if you use Pinterest.

MUSE- THE SEA INSPIRATION PICTURE.jpg

PINTEREST BOARD - MUSE: THE SEA

Week 2 Inspiration: Using Ephemera
    In the main muse inspiration picture shown above, I was inspired by how the artist used ephemera to add nostalgic interest to the scene. The ephemera was sparingly used and blended into the background perfectly, reinforcing the overall vintage feel of the piece.

To clarify what I mean by ephemera, the dictionary explains ephemera (noun) as being - things that exist or are used or enjoyed for only a short time ie "there were papers, letters, old boxes—all sorts of ephemera".

Week 2: Create a layout about the sea incorporating some ephemera pieces.
    Again, think about the memories you have of the sea; why you love going, or why you don't like to go, what you like to do there, what you like to watch, a favorite time of day perhaps.

Your layout does not need to be vintage themed so if you prefer to do a more modern colourful page then go for it! :) All you need to do is create a page about the sea and use some ephemera on it. (NB Other elements can be added eg stitching, flowers etc etc, you just need to use some ephemera as well.)

Ephemera can take the form of envelopes, postcards, cardboard pieces, round paper tags, torn pieces of paper, stacked pieces of papers, ticket stubs or journal cards to name a few pieces.

Take a look at your own stash to see what ephemera pieces you can find or check out the Ephemera section of the store to discover more. You can even 'cut' pieces out of a paper to create your own ephemera pieces if you like.

I have elected to use the one layout for this month and just 'add to it' each week, so this is my page for this week with some ephemera added.

[​IMG]

You can use any size layout. The Skinnies templates available HERE. In addition @cfile created one cool triangle template that you could use (Christa's awesome template is HERE on PSD- let us know if you need any other format!). Or you can use the one layout and just keep adding to it, which is what I am going to do this month......... kinda like a progressive one, but it's totally your choice in how you do it! :)

Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month, even more incentives for your inspiration! You can use any products in The Lilypad store, make sure you follow our gallery guidelines. Pages are due last day of the month.

If you have any questions, ask here in this thread. Looking forward to seeing what you creative ladies come up with for this week! :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
    Smwhite and bbymks5 like this.
  2. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

3. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Here is mine. I already had a head start on the ephemera as the large fish from week #1 was an advertising piece from Paula's Beginning. :-) Looks a bit bottom-heavy, but it is what it is. Calling it done for week #2. I did blend the bird piece of ephemera, but for the strips at the bottom, the fish postcard and the ticket at the top, I left as is, just didn't visually appeal to me when they were blended or muted. Oh, there is a piece of sheet music blended into the background as well...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  4. wombat146

oooh great job Marilyn!

5. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Ok, I haven't forgotten this challenge. I just can't upload them until SOSN!

wombat146 likes this.
  6. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

7. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I am loving the inspiration this month!

wombat146 likes this.
  8. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I love the strips that you all are doing but haven't gotten up the nerve yet to try.

[​IMG]

Smwhite, flowersgal and mcurtt like this.
  9. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

This is an ATC.
    [​IMG]

Smwhite, Nemla and flowersgal like this.
  10. wombat146

Wow! you have all been creating some lovely pieces while I was asleep!! off to the gallery!! :)

11. wombat146

Sandy, why don't you play around with a skinny template to see how it turns out, as well as doing your regular pages? you might like to get the first two panels done and then finish it off and only post it at the end of the month if you are happy with it? :yup

12. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

I created an ATC for this challenge. I love decorating with postage stamps so that is the ephemera I chose for my card. I found some great images of stamps featuring ships.
    [​IMG]

Smwhite, flowersgal and wombat146 like this.
  13. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

14. redplaid3

redplaid3 Just call me Zaley's Grammy!

15. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I used one of the journal cards from Allison's kit and added a tear side from a Lynn Grieveson's template to make that little piece of beach ephemera.

[​IMG]

Smwhite, mcurtt and wombat146 like this.
  16. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I am not a big ephemera user, but I like how this turned out. Thanks for the challenge, Ona.

[​IMG]

wombat146, Smwhite and flowersgal like this.
  17. wombat146

I spy some more fabulous layouts!!! :)

18. orkan

orkan Well-Known Member

19. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

be right back

wombat146 likes this.
  20. Smwhite

Smwhite Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017