MOC5- What did you learn?

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges FIVE - 2017' started by bellbird, Jan 29, 2017.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

this is big! i learned this about myself a while back, it may not be 'normal' for me and it may not be easy but it is often worth it - and it applies far beyond the scrap world too for me

Aerobigirl likes this.
  2. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

Learning to do the sketch in GIMP was great! Speaking of GIMP....anyone else here use it?? I could always use new tutorials...I'm dying to learn how to create text into a shape rather than just doing it line by line to get the desired shape. I'm still not a fan of art journaling...sorry! I don't really have the right kits for it, either. I also figured out how to cute out triangle shape in GIMP by creating a path. I'm looking forward to trying out some more challenges here in February!

3. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I learned that I still don't know how to read all of the instructions correctly. Sigh. I get so caught up in making the page that I totally forget how many lines of journaling there needs to be, or how many elements, what I need to repeat, or whatever.

I also learned that I still don't like art journaling. Why when a photo shows more? I'm a photojournalist by trade, and you don't mess with the photo. What you see is what you get. I just can't get into doing a page without photos because I've so many photos to scrap.

Other than that, I learned to use the "happy accident". Artisan 5 has an annoying habit of keeping the last setting you used, which is a pain since you need to hit the reset button every darn pickin' time. But one time I actually liked what I saw, and that was the way the colors changed on the photo for my Lyrics page.

I'm sure there's more, but I can't remember right now. I've a bit of a fried brain from so much scrapping!

djp332 likes this.
  4. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I love the sketch technique. In fact, I was just coming here to copy and paste the instructions to a word document so that I can save them to use again.

5. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

I am with everyone else on the sketch challenge. This was WAY so much better then the way I was doing it!! And today I learned how to separate a stroke and make a mask out of it!!! (Thanks Anne!!)
    Do I now love journaling? NO!!!! But I struggle through it because I know that down the road will be challenges I will love!!!

6. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I really enjoyed the quantity, getting 31 done in January was extra special. I loved the drop caps challenge and the sketch technique, combining two very different styles of templates and I never knew that those whimsies came with separate parts for layering. My best MOC by far! Thanks to everyone for their challenges.

elk2009 likes this.
  7. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

my computer doesn't have enough juice to combine 2 templates.. need re-install pshop

8. elk2009

elk2009 Hello, gorgeous

Overall I thought this year was easier than last year, but last year was my first MOC. Combining 2 templates, sketch, and drop caps are all keepers. I knew the extras in the whimsys were for something I just couldn't figure out for what LOL... There was only one I can truly say I didn't like, and one that made me put my thinking cap on. The ATC was fun never did that before and will probably use it on a page. Overall I think 27/30 will go to print so this was a good month!

9. Firstoscartgrouch

Firstoscartgrouch Save the salmon, and the lemon butter!

It's my first MOC, I loved having a challenge a day. These 31 plus thirteen I did at another site and six at another plus my four weeks of project 52 has been one busy month. January just flew by.

I discovered I absolutely love art journaling. Not sure if what I do is "proper" for that genre but I'm not a person to sweat over it. I loved those ones.

I scrap on my iPad using an app called over. That made the challenges with styles, masks, etc next to impossible to do. It really pushed me to find apps that come close to duplicating the effect.

Some things though baffled me, a stroke? What's a stroke? I did learn over can blend. That was a plus, I'll use that again.
    I'd love to know if it will fill the predetermined shape though like the arches???? Mine was painstakingly filled and masked to the shape I would imagine ps does it in one click?

I'll be back. Really enjoyed this moth, and some have already gone to print.

10. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

5 things I learned during MOC 5:
    1) I got way faster. During watch Cheryl Scrap, I learned some new drag and drop functions for PSE that I hadn't known about before.
    2) Farrah's make-a-sketch instructions were amazing, and something I never expected to like.
    3) I learned how to journal on a custom shape. I just made myself learn to do it and I was very happy I did!
    4) I kicked my blending skills up a notch, combing multiple blends, and using masks to make a really interesting background
    5) Combining the two templates was a significant challenge. I learned a lot about dragging and dropping layered object is PSE, as well as the difference between smart objects and "simplified" or "rasterized" objects.

11. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

All of the technique challenges were new to me...other than dragging and dropping embellishments to my traveler's notebooks in CS5, I didn't know how to anything!!

12. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Ohhh...and always remember to save your file as a Photoshop file so if you have to go back and edit it you can. I forgot to save the Paper to Digital as an editable version and somewhere along the way I deleted an "m" in tummy...ugh

13. dancingJaye

dancingJaye Well-Known Member

I loved learning the drop cap technique, but my biggest take away was a reminder that when your mojo is in the toilet, going through the motions can jump start it in a big way. Putting the time in with outside direction really gets the creative juices flowing.

busywoman139 and Amson like this.
  14. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I learned how to use styles!! I know right!? How did I not use them before!?

weaselwatchr and busywoman139 like this.
  15. crlin

crlin Well-Known Member

I really liked turning a photo into a sketch! I also learned how to make a text box - something so simple but I never could figure it out! I even enjoyed journaling which has always been a problem for me!

busywoman139 likes this.
  16. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I just learned that I really REALLY REALLY like having a goal to scrap to. It motivates me more than just telling myself I need to scrap.

weaselwatchr and busywoman139 like this.
  17. Tiff

Tiff I don't need no stinking playlists!

After a busy year, when my scrapbooking petered off, I learned that I can actually scrap a page a day and still get other things done!

Although I had a goal of generally getting pages done for 2016, I was very unorganized, and ultimately just went with the flow. Some of the challenges worked with ideas that I've had for pages I wanted to make and never did. And that always had a very satisfying feeling. Other challenges were things that didn't really appeal to me, and I went with the plan of slapping something together quick for the credit. Overall, since I didn't have a "must finish up these specific photos" mindset, it all worked out really great for me. I really feel recharged!

busywoman139 likes this.
  18. Mama Shades

Mama Shades Well-Known Member

BLENDING, BLENDING, BLENDING! And like a million other things. :) But most of all, I learned that this is a very supportive, helpful and wonderful group of people.

busywoman139 and AnneofAlamo like this.
  19. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Justine, you don't have to group them to do that. If you create a shadow, etc. on one layer, and copy it, you can CTRL click or SHIFT CLICK (if they are sequential in the layers) all of the layers you want to do this same thing to and then right click, find the paste function and you are done. Everything is applied to all of the layers you selected. Groups would probably be the easier way to go if you have lots of layers in it, but if you only have several, the select the layers and copy the FX is the way to go. Sorry if my lingo is a bit bad, I'm at work right now taking a break, and Photoshop isn't in front of me...

busywoman139 likes this.
  20. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I really enjoyed the sketch challenge. Great results, and obviously repeatable from what I'm seeing in the gallery. Which reminds me, I've got to print out those instructions. :-)