MOC Q&A - Post your questions here!

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges 2018' started by mrs2a50, Dec 24, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Right click and save image @NancyP

2. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Your kidding! It's really THAT easy, @bestcee ?

bestcee likes this.
  3. bestcee

Yes ma'am!
    Right click, save image. Then upload into your siggie!

4. bestcee

5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Haha Glad Anne and Courtney were here to jump in. I was over in PS tearing up over my challenge page for today *sniff*. Snitch away if you haven't snitched from someone else already.

bestcee likes this.
  6. NancyP

@AnneofAlamo Oh YEAH!! NOW you tell me----after I just hot linked!!! :hairpol LOVE YOU!!!! :heartslub

7. bestcee

Theoretically, it shouldn't disappear if she changes because it's linked to the file, not her siggie.
    I would download it just in case you need it down the line though.

8. NancyP

Well, this gal is going back to hot linking cause nothing else is working!!!!

bestcee likes this.
  9. NancyP

Oh wow, that takes up a lot of space. Can I make them smaller?????

10. bestcee

Well, You could edit them in photoshop and make them one smaller image to upload?

11. Miss Becki...

Miss Becki... Active Member

Working on the Day 13 challenge (template). This is my very first time ever using a template. (The program I normally use, My Memories Suite, can't handle templates.) I am trying to force myself to step out and try to use Photoshop Elements 12, though I'm completely unfamiliar with it.

Someone in the Day 13 thread helped me find a video tutorial on using a template in PSE12, and it was super helpful. I have my papers and photos all entered into the template now. I'm overwhelmed, though, by the sheer number of tiny little layers of elements! Am I supposed to "clip" elements to each of those masks (it's very possible I have no idea what I'm talking about here!) or should I drag in the elements, edit their layer styles, then "hide" the original little masks? I'm just not sure how to proceed with all of these little pieces! (Also, I don't know how to change the color of that paint!)

Can anyone advise me? Thank you!!!

12. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Hi Becki,

The little element masks are there as placeholders for the elements that you will drag onto your page. Just to give you an idea of where to place things. So yes, drag the elements onto the page, edit their layer styles, and then hide the original little mask. Good luck! :)

Miss Becki... likes this.
  13. bestcee

First, I'm wondering if it would help you to change the way you see layers. If you go to the sandwich (menu/three little lines) in your layer panal, you'll see an option called "Panel Options". It's the third from the bottom on my list. It will open the window on the left. You can pick a bigger thumbnail. And you can choose whether you want the layer panel to show where the element is in regards to the entire document, or just show the layer. You can kinda see my flower/element at the bottom? I like to see the item, I can click the layer to see where it is on the page.
    Layer Bounds.PNG

As for the paint: I like to clip a paper to it. Or, you can also "Paint" it.
    If you lock the transparent pixels on the paint layer, you can then use your brush tool and paint it any color you want. Lock the transparent pixels is that little square with the lock; the last icon on the top of the layer panel.
    Lock Transparent PIxels.PNG

Miss Becki... and littlekiwi like this.
  14. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

Now this is only me, but I go through the layers panel and delete all embellishment layers as soon as I open up the template. I keep anything like mists, paint, splatters, paper mats and photo placement. For this one I also kept the doily, stitching and label/tab layers BUT these were hidden and then deleted off once I had determined that I didn't actually want them in my page as I had used elements from kits instead (not always the case).

Also, I select all layers and clear layer styles - again that is just me as I do quite a lot of work on my shadows and I prefer to start those from scratch all the time. And, as I go through creating my page I will merge the layer to the mask underneath just to keep the layers panel looking tidy and this also reduces the file size at the end (to do this, just have the mask and whatever you have clipped to it selected in the layers panel, right click and select merge layers (not the all or visible layers options, although ctrl Z comes to the rescue if you do that by mistake).

I kept coming back to the thread to double check I was on the right track with placement of items near enough for the challenge requirements.

15. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

YES, I do that, too. When I opened yesterday's template I scrolled for what felt like 30 seconds to find the photo spots, way too many layers for me to start with :).

I usually make them all invisible and if the look works for me as a starting point I delete them all. I only merge at the end, so I can see if I forgot any layers that need some attention.

cfile and Miss Becki... like this.
  16. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I agree, I got so overwhelmed with that template. Thanks @bestcee @fruitysuet @Rikki for your tips. Might make it easier when I go back to that challenge.

Firstoscartgrouch and bestcee like this.
  17. NancyP

18. bestcee

19. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

bestcee likes this.
  20. NancyP

AHA!! I was clicking right on the image!! Thanks all for your advise and help!

bestcee likes this.