looking for a new format

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by destiney1, Jan 5, 2018.

1. destiney1

destiney1 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of swapping up for a whole new format to my Pl pages this year. I've done a few years of the regular A style pages, then branched into a few other types, then did two years of using the ready to go templates. Which I love. But this year I think I want to focus on more journaling. A lot more! I was puttering around the gallery and realized there really aren't many changes to the style since 2012. Which I guess the simplicity is the best part, but I'm feeling burnt out on the look of it. Anyone else in this boat? Maybe we can brainstorm something newish. Anyone else feeling a bit burnt out?

2. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

I'm in a similar boat. I've only completed one year of PL, but I've started several others! The first year I did rounded corners, the one I'm working on now has square corners. But really, those are the only differences. I do love the system. I think it speaks to me as a memory keeper, but sometimes it's kind of boring. I'd like to have something stylistically that would set this year apart from other years. I usually have a set of calendar cards that I keep consistent throughout the year. I've seen other people use the same grid...regardless of photos which I think could stretch me creatively. I've seen some do all of their writing on the center set of cards or off to the size in a big space. I've been scouring the galleries looking for some inspiration, but I've been away so long that I'm not really sure where to look anymore!

3. AmandaDawnRN

AmandaDawnRN Active Member

I tend to use my own templates a lot along with other PL templates. I change the templates and boxes to meet my needs. I do agree with making sure you get a lot of journaling in. I journal on every page. For 2017 I decided to divide out my photos per month and just scrap the number of pages I need. Nothing has to match except the 2 pages that are side by side. I may have rounded corners and non rounded on some. So I play by my own rules.

4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I have one year that is completely eclectic. I grabbed whatever template at the time inspired me - regardless of whether it was a pocket scrap one or not. I found a template that had enough photos, and wrote on them, or on the outside. I used mostly Scrapping with Liz and Fiddle Dee Dee templates, and a designer who's retired. And it was fun. I think the grid is what makes it feel the same.
    This year I am back to the grid. I took last year off.

5. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

For my travel albums I use a combination of pocket pages and traditional ones. Because the pocket pages go fast and can carry lots of photos but the traditional pages let me be creative.
    I always make sure to use the same background paper and kit(s)/collection(s) on each double page so it stays cohesive.

I don’t want to spend this much time on my PL because I would never finish, but you might be different?

bestcee likes this.
  6. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

If anything, I'd like to have mine simpler but in reality I like my photos so...it's not going to happen. As beautiful as a very simple page can be I want more stories.

bestcee likes this.
  7. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

my 2016 was the only full year that I completed. I hope to do 2018. my format is 6x8... i do two 4x6 photos/pockets, or 4 4x6. I print them at 4x6 and then stack them in my album i got from walmart (a normal photo album that holds 200+ photos). It worked well, and helped me keep it simple to complete it. I feel like this was a good way for me to not be overwhelmed by the journaling. I, too, wanted the stories with the photos, but I also like batch processing. I found that if I sat down with Evernote in front of me, and went one week at a time through photos, the amount of journaling I "needed" for each week was small enough. When I look at a giant 12x12 layout, it's easy for me to be overwhelmed at the idea of how much journaling might need to be on the page to tell the story.

Here's one of my only loaded PL pages here to TLP. they were largely this format. I used the weekly numbers most weeks, some journaling, and a small collage of photos. Project Life app is the way I chose to do it, and I'll keep that goal this year as well.

There's another format I tried for "past scrapping" which was also helpful - by the month review. I intend to do this again for past years I'm trying to complete. I liked the monthly overview. I found I could remember enough of the stories to illustrate our day to day life, even though it wasn't as "in the moment" as project life was. I now feel like I can't *not* tell stories like this almost. as I go through past years evaluating what stories are left to be told, the year is not complete until I've done these types of monthly overviews of our daily life. Otherwise, I took those pictures for basically no reason. Just my two cents. :)