Laptops for scrapping

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by karen32, Jul 22, 2017.

1. karen32

karen32 Active Member

Hi all,

I haven't scrapped much in the last few years and I want to get back into it. I am thinking about purchasing a laptop, but I have some questions.

1. What system specifications do you recommend? Screen size, ram, hard drive....

2. I own CS6, has anyone successfully installed with window 10? Any issues?

Thanks in advance!

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

1. Screen size is personal, I have a 19" and love the huge screen. The only components I always say get as much as you can afford. Gaming laptops usually have pretty good specs for scrapping. RAM can be added at home for pretty cheap usually, as long as the laptop will support it! I'm using 16GB with PSCC, and sometimes my laptop hates having both Lightroom and Photoshop open. But it usually handles it ok. Hard drive I have 1 TB, and use an ehd to keep all my photos and supplies on. I do keep the current year of photos on my laptop, and a handful of kits, usually what I've bought in the last 6 months. I wish I had an solid state because I love it on my desktop computer!

2. Nope. I'm using cc.

3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

1. I have an ASUS ROG gaming laptop with a 17.3" screen, but most of the time I have it connected to another 24" monitor. I have scrapped on it with the 17" screen and it's fine. It has 16GB RAM, but it can be upgraded to 32GB, which I'll probably do eventually. I haven't had any issues with the 16, it runs everything I want it to. It also has a 1TB hard drive + 256GB solid state drive. The gaming laptops usually have a better graphics card which is great for scrapping.

2. On my old laptop, I had Windows 10 and CS6 and didn't have any issues with it.

bestcee likes this.
  4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I have a 17" HP Envy, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD, Intel i7 (NOT the latest gen anymore--the one before), and a pretty decent graphics card. I didn't get a gaming laptop cuz the only one in stock when I got this Envy wasn't really that much better; it had 16GB/1TB and a graphics card that was like one step above the one this laptop has. Not enough to spend an extra $500, IMO.

Anyway, as the wonderful Courtney said, buy as much as you can! My Envy is about a little over a year old. It will run PS CC and iTunes and Firefox at the same time with no problem (plus I have my DS folder and perhaps Photos open, too). I keep my current DS items on my laptop but I back up everything (DS, pics, docs, I guess whatever else) to 3 EHDs, and then one of my EHDs and my laptop get backed up onto BackBlaze.

bestcee likes this.
  5. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I have a 15-inch MacBook Pro, 1T HD, 16 gigs of RAM. I use PS CC to scrap and Lightroom to edit my pictures. It is an upgrade from my old 13-inch MBP. I love it and I have only done my digital scrapping on these 2 laptops, so it's all I know. I keep all my scrapping stuff on it, including pictures.

6. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Mine is a new HP Pavillion 360 (touchscreen). I can draw on the screen, 8GB system memory and 1 terabyte hard drive. I love it! I also have a little Slim Seagate backup with 2 terabytes. With Google photos and Drive, you can ease your machine's storage weight too.
    Photoshop installed fine on my Pav. with Windows 10. (Don't like windows ten, but whatcha gonna do?):hummm