June 23 Technique: Burn Tool

Discussion in 'Weekly Focus Challenges' started by jk703, Jun 23, 2017.

1. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Hi everyone! I'm here to bring you another challenge for our Technique Week. There are so many tools, short cuts, and different ways to do thing in Photoshop, but today I'm going to focus on the Burn Tool. (This tool is housed with the Dodge Tool, as well as the Sponge Tool. Right here).

[​IMG]

The Burn Tool is used to darken areas, while the Dodge Tool is used to lighten areas. These tools might be used over the Curves and Levels options, since you can be specific and choose what you want to lighten or darken. The more you brush over and paint on an area will reflect with a lighter or darker color.

This is the Burn Tool Options bar, below. You can see the hand with a hole, which indicates the Burn Tool. The black dot and the 171 are the brush sizing. You can change this like other brushes - sizing, hardness, kind, etc. Next you will find the Range - Midtones, Highlights or Shadows. Most of the time I use Midtones when using this tool. Then you will see Exposure. This number represents how much ink might be on the brush when you are painting. The number can be 3-5% and all the way to 10-15%. More than that, and it will look a bit odd. The lower number allows you to slowly add the burn to the layer. Too high and the burn will not look natural. The next little icon looks like a pen, and is actually supposed to be an airbrush. This option is up to you - I always go back and forth, so give it a play. Sometimes, this allows for a more natural flow of "ink" in your burn.

[​IMG]

Here is my original layout. I will be showing off How to use the Burn Tool for Additional Realism on the washi tape as well as the top layered leaves.
    [​IMG]

Products:
    Scrap The Lot No. 1 - by Lynn Grieveson Designs https://the-lilypad.com/store/Scrap-the-Lot-1-album.html
    Sea Change by Allison Pennington
    Papers: https://the-lilypad.com/store/Sea-Change-Patterns-and-Backgrounds.html
    Elements: https://the-lilypad.com/store/Sea-Change-Elements.html
    Alpha: https://the-lilypad.com/store/Sea-Change-Glitterbets.html
    Font is Special Elite.

Ok, here are my leaves before hand. I copied one leaf (the bottom one pointing down), and created 2 more layers. But... when this occurrs, many times the leave look like duplicates. So, by using the Burn Tool, I can create a little darker color on the edges so that they will not look identical. I also changed the sizing of the leaf to help the differentiation.
    [​IMG]

Here are my leaves after a couple swipes with the Burn Tool. They look a little browner on the opposite outer edges. You can see a change, but it is subtle enough on the whole layout that you wouldn't think the leaves were all duplicates.

[​IMG]

Here is my washi tape... before. :)
    [​IMG]

Here is my washi tape after. Washi tape is so subtle, but I think adding a little burn to the area that touches the paper gives it a little more realism.

Tip: When I use the Burn Tool, I click on the thumbnail of the layer that I'm going to burn. This way, when I switch to the Burn Tool, my burning will only be confined that that area within the marching ants.

For this example, I would click on the white paper matting layer thumbnail, and get the marching ants, then I chose Select > Inverse, so the marching ants would be marching around the area of the tape that is over the kraft paper. I didn't burn the area that you see on the paper matting or the image.
    [​IMG]

Here is my final layout... burned and all! :giggle
    [​IMG]

Adding a little burn, in my eyes, isn't a necessity, but it brings me closer to the traditional paper scrapping that I started out with way back when. I hope you enjoyed learning a little more about this Tool, and I hope you give this technique a try!

-----

Please follow the Lilypad Gallery Guidelines: Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products (current or retired product from current designers; templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.

2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Jenn! I love the idea to burn the edges on repeated things like leaves - so they look more unique and different! And that layout out is SOOOO gorgeous!

jk703 likes this.
  3. KarenK

KarenK Well-Known Member

here is mine, I used Burn and dodge tools, so here is mine

[​IMG]

jk703 likes this.
  4. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

Thanks, Jenn! This is really helpful. I love the look of those leaves using the burn tool.

jk703 likes this.
  5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Great tutorial. The burn tool is so useful!

jk703 likes this.
  6. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Jenn - I never would have thought to use the burn tool on duplicate items to make them look a little different... AWESOME idea! Thanks for sharing! I'll need to remember this for the next time I'm needing to change up my duplicates.

jk703 likes this.
  7. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

I used the burn tool on some of the leaves and around the edges of the frame to give it an "aged" look.
    [​IMG]

jk703 likes this.
  8. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

9. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

I used both the dodge and burn tools to add shadowing to the edges of the pink polka dot paper on my ATC.
    [​IMG]

jk703 likes this.
  10. spcoggs

spcoggs Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this technique! I need (want) to play with it more. Used the burn tool on the washi tape and the word art "wild adventure" in this layout:

[​IMG]

11. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Not sure if this is what you intended, but I dodged & burned both pieces of washi.

[​IMG]

12. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Thank you guys... I love seeing that you are trying it out and seeing the results!

13. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

I burned the leaves

[​IMG]

14. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I never thought to use this for leaves! Thanks for that idea!

[​IMG]

15. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I used the burn tool on the flowers and the washi tape.
    [​IMG]

mcurtt likes this.
  16. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

It's already July but I wanted to do a LO for the June Focus Challenges. So I combined three techniques into one LO! I hope it's ok.
    My page is for the following challenges:
    June 22 Technique: shadowing transparent elements (the title and the sunglasses)
    June 23 Technique: Burn Tool (washi tape)
    June 24 Technique: Background Cut-outs (waves)\
    Full credits in gallery.

[​IMG]

17. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Those leaves at stunning.

18. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Love the idea of burning duplicates, Jenn. Brilliant!!

I'm with you on washi treatment - I love to use the burn tool to burn the edges of washi that overlap paper. The depth it gives is subtle, but it's one of those things that really does add realism to digi layouts.

19. willimena

willimena Well-Known Member

This was a useful tutorial - thanks Jenn. Really helpful to learn about the inverse-marching-ants..I have had great difficulty trying to 'brush on the burn' in a straight line!

20. Jeanet

Jeanet CT - Lynne-Marie

I did this a while back but I went crazy with the burn and dodge tools to create my title.

[​IMG]