June 21st Technique : Extractions

Discussion in 'Weekly Focus Challenges' started by MrsPeel, Jun 21, 2017.

1. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Hello! Hope you are well & enjoying our Focus Challenges!
    I'm so excited to be hosting today!!! I know some of you are extraction lovers like I am, and I also know for some of you this is not too new, as a matter of fact a while ago we had a Scrap Chat on this subject, I remember us all having such a great time, discovering new ways to make great ones, improving our technique or just having fun with them!

I use extractions often, not just the ones that appear obvious, but I use them a lot for selective color images, even if you aren't a "straight photo"/people scrapper, I use extractions for a lot of my Art Journal Pages, sometimes extracting people out of Vintage images/Ephemera, the possibilities are endless!

I would say that my number one rule (and I imagine all of us would think ) is to choose an image where the subject stands out from the background, I scrap in Craft Artist Professional which has something called a Cutout Studio, something like the Magic Wand in PSE, that will eliminate the background with a few clicks, providing the colors are different, but even for the cases like extracting the background around difficult hair have some ways around it so we can make them look better or even much more fun than just the pure extraction.
    Now Lets look at some video tutorials:
    For Photoshop users:

For Craft Artist Users:

I made a page entirely with SOSN products for today: (you will need to give me a few minutes for these to show as I slept more than I should have and will need to move them and credit)
    [​IMG]

here are a few pages I made in the past & had tons of fun with the extractions (these will show, but some need credits to be updated as they were posted before our system changed, so if you want to click in any of the products to look at them, it will take me a while for them to show properly)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here are a couple that show how extractions can be fun even over a PL page (mainly if you are digital) or with structured/grid pages:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I'm looking forward to seeing your pages!!!!!
    If you would like to come over to the chat room today, to talk about extractions, share any tutorials you have, any questions or tips, or just chat, I will be around this afternoon at 15:00 EDT/EST - Europe 21:00 - London 20:00 - Brazil Sao Paulo 16:00 (hope I got these right!)

No rules for this apart from getting inspired, have fun, maybe learn a thing or two or being able to teach us something we don't know, just be sure to follow the Lilypad Gallery Guidelines when posting your pages:

Please follow the Lilypad Gallery Guidelines: Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products (current or retired product from current designers; templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!
    Thanks in advance for playing with us! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  2. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I'll be there, but Central Europe is 21.00h, we're one hour later than London, :-)

MrsPeel likes this.
  3. turtlebug

turtlebug Well-Known Member

I like to use frames and extractions together! I will put an image in a frame and then have something 'pop out' of the frame. Just another idea!

MrsPeel likes this.
  4. MrsPeel

:imok of course I HAD to get something wrong LOL my brain hasn't been working well and the heat (never thought I would EVER be complaining about the heat in England!!!!!!!) is making me ever dumber LOL will be great to "see you" !!!!!

oh my, YES!!!! I forgot to include this, Out Of Bound Technique, where you make part of the extraction come out of the frame!!!! @AnneofAlamo had an AWESOME challenge with it in one of the Month of Challenges!!!! also love doing that!!!! Can't wait to see what you come up with!!!!

5. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

This was SO MUCH FUN!
    [​IMG]

MrsPeel likes this.
  6. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

7. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Oops, once again I got involved in creating and forgot the chat. Thanks for the videos on extraction. I hope to look at one soon and learn better and/or easier/or more efficient ways to extract.

In the meantime, here's my challenge layout:
    [​IMG]

MrsPeel likes this.
  8. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Grrrr. I only just saw this and missed the chat...w a s this an impromptu one or did I get my dates wrong .? Sorry I missed oily t but will for sure make a page tomorrow. It looks fun.

MrsPeel likes this.
  9. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I think it was more impromptu.

MrsPeel likes this.
  10. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Darn it I missed the chat. Love the examples @MrsPeel :like:heartslub

MrsPeel likes this.
  11. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

12. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

Awesome! I have an old photo from the 90s that was damaged, but its so chute I NEED to scrap it.

MrsPeel likes this.
  13. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

I love the "out-of-bounds" look so that is what I used to highlight the extraction technique on my ATC.
    [​IMG]

MrsPeel likes this.
  14. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

I love how this technique saved this 1990s photo of my kids! It was so damaged!

[​IMG]

MrsPeel likes this.
  15. MrsPeel

Vivi, yes, Dalis is right, I thought in the morning when I was getting organized, that as I had the supermarket/online shopping groceries coming over between 7 & 8 pm I would be able to sit with a coffee and something and chat away a bit, I remember us having a great chat once with extractions theme.... the girls ended up keeping me company as the delivery was over an hour late!!!! I will try make sure I message you guys privately if ever something like this happens!!!!!!! @Nemla @LoveItScrapIt

Nemla and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  16. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Not going to lie...I struggled with this one and I didn't even realize her hair looked pink in this photo until today! I though I had done something to the photo, but nope LOL

[​IMG]

MrsPeel likes this.
  17. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Here we go, Nemla is to comfortable to go out.
    Thanks for the challenge, it was fun. Don't worry about the chat, I will catch you next time. It is lovely to do something at the spur of the moment. I do have my alert alarm on for the 26th though... LOL socking the things I forget these days.
    [​IMG]

MrsPeel likes this.
  18. KarenK

KarenK Well-Known Member

Here is mine:

[​IMG]

MrsPeel and wvsandy like this.
  19. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

It wasn't exactly what I expected, but here it is nonetheless:

[​IMG]

20. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

Good challenge and some excellent tips. I did a selective color extraction on all the photos:
    [​IMG]