June 2018 Monthly Muse - Week #3

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by wombat146, Jun 19, 2018.

1. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

JUNE'S MUSE: WINGS OF FLIGHT

June's weekly challenges will be posted on June 5, 12, 19 and 27.

Hello everyone and welcome to this month's muse challenge. This month I wanted to use 'Wings in Flight' as our inspiration. Each week there will be a different inspiration associated with wings and flight for you to explore in your art.

Week 3: Butterflies In My Hair
    Welcome to Week 3 of the June Monthly Muse! :) As the theme for this month is all about Wings of Flight and we have already explored birds and dragonflies, we couldn't leave out the butterfly! So this week we are looking at this pretty little winged creature that always seems to symbolise happiness, light and sunny days! In thinking about what to do for this challenge I came across a fun idea on Pinterest, of decorating a person's head with butterflies! Below you will find a mood board with some of the discoveries that I made:

[​IMG]

For a closer look at the images above, here is the link to my Pinterest board, Butterflies In My Hair.

As I thought more on the challenge I came up with an idea for all of us to use the same person's head to decorate, so I asked our very own talented artist and budding designer here at The Lilypad, LiLi Wee, to sketch one for us. LiLi created this stunning sketch for us to use and has graciously packaged it as a freebie for you to download! THANK YOU LiLi (@misslovescraps ) xx

[​IMG]

DROPBOX LINK: CLICK HERE

Your challenge this week:

Is to decorate the sketched lady provided with at least three (3) butterflies.

You can use whatever other embellishments you want to; flowers, greenery, paint splatters, blending techniques etc etc. It's totally open to whatever inspires you, the only stipulation is to use at least 3 butterflies somewhere on your layout. :)

This is my page, and below it I have provided a short summary on what I actually did (for those that are interested :)). Credits appear in the gallery as they are too long to display here! lol!

[​IMG]
    Summary of what I did: After moving this lovely lady sketch onto my layout I add some more 'hair' by using one of Rebecca McMeen's art doll, Patina. I positioned Patina behind the sketch and applied a mask and masked out Patina's face. Changing the blend mode on the sketch to multiply allowed Patina's hair colour show through. I duplicated Patina's layer and changed it to multiply as well to give the hair a darker colour. Next I duplicated the sketch and after picking a colour from Patina's hair I recoloured the sketch, this enabled the sketch to blend in more with the hair colour. I then used a scroll-type element from Rebecca's Dragonlace kit, DecorativeElement15, to give the impression of the hair flicking out on the side (used a mask to get rid of bits I didn't need), and changed the blending mode to Color Burn. This is what the sketch looked like after these steps:​

[​IMG]

From here I continued on to have fun decorating her hair with lots of butterflies and other ornaments! :)

You may create any style of layout (ie. clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc.) you wish, but for this challenge you do need to use the freebie of the sketch lady provided. Create any size page you wish. This is for everyone, so have fun and see where the inspiration takes you. If you want all 4 Muses on one page that's perfectly ok or you can make 4 separate pages!! It's totally up to you! :)

Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to June 30th and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month for a coupon!! You can use any products in The Lilypad store or retired products from current Lilypad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines).

If you have any questions, ask away! :)

Really looking forward to seeing how you decorate the freebie of the lady's head sketched and provided by LiLi Wee Design!

marijke and Ga_L like this.
  2. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

wombat146 likes this.
  3. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Another inspiring week! I love your page and the mood board. Thank you for the freebie too. Li Li @misslovescraps is so talented!

Li Li Wee and wombat146 like this.
  4. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

So excited for this one. I worked on it this a.m., almost made me late for work, I didn't want to stop. I am 99% done, just need to add some shadows, step back and look at it again, and then create the daunting task of credits... In my typical explode in your face type of a layout, this one is no exception.
    :stash

Carol K., wombat146, AJK and 2 others like this.
  5. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thank you Ona for the challenge and LiLi for the sketch.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

This is such an awesome challenge!! I can't wait to work on it. Thanks too to Lili @misslovescraps for so graciously designing this face for all of us to use. Your inspiration board and your gorgeous work of art really has my head spinning right now @wombat146 - I have to go out all afternoon, but I can't wait to start on this one. Thanks for breaking your creative process down into steps!!

@marijke LOVE what you created! I'm so anxious to see what you're working on, Marilyn! @mcurtt

wombat146 and mcurtt like this.
  7. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

8. mcurtt

Mine: I also included a bird (from week 1) and a dragonfly (from week 2). And thanks to @misslovescraps for the beautiful sketch.

[​IMG]

9. wombat146

OOOOOOOOOOH!!! oh goodness, what super gorgeous layouts you gals have created so far!!! I am off to the gallery to leave some well deserved love!!! xx

10. wombat146

So happy to see you so motivated Marilyn!! I love it when my mojo takes over like that........ hubby isn't thrilled cause he doesn't get fed though!! lol!!!!! But Marilyn, are you SURE you have at least 3 butterflies!!! :giggle:cloud9:beat:beat:beat

11. wombat146

Can't wait to see what you come up with, I know it will be gorgeous though Cheryl!!! :)

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  12. mcurtt

Oops! I didn't read the 3 butterfly requirement. But I think I'm covered. :crazy3

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  13. wombat146

no no no Marilyn!! I am only kidding, you surpassed the 'at least 3 butterflies' rule beautifully!!! :heartlub:heartlub:heartlub:heartlub

mcurtt likes this.
  14. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@wombat146 - quick question: Are we allowed to alter the image in any way? (thinking the hair) Didn't want to do that without asking! :D

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  15. wombat146

yes, anything goes except for the 'at least 3 butterflies' :) have fun!

AJK likes this.
  16. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

17. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh my goodness, Timmi @bbymks5 and Marilyn @mcurtt - both of your layouts are gorgeous!! I love what you've both created. It's almost 11 PM and I'm just getting to sit down and think about this. I need to go get the freebie first - hopefully that will get my tired creative juices flowing.

mcurtt likes this.
  18. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

19. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

Due to computer issues, I've had to temporarily (I hope) go from using PSE 14 to 10! Like a step back into the dark ages! But, here is my ATC for the Monthly Muse:
    [​IMG]

mcurtt, Cherylndesigns and wvsandy like this.
  20. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Thank you so much for the beautiful girl.
    [​IMG]