June 2018 Monthly Muse - Week #1

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by wombat146, Jun 5, 2018.

1. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

JUNE'S MUSE: WINGS IN FLIGHT

June's weekly challenges will be posted on June 5, 12, 19 and 27.

Hello everyone and welcome to this month's muse challenge. This month I wanted to use 'Wings in Flight' as our inspiration. Each week there will be a different inspiration associated with wings and flight for you to explore in your art.

Week 1: Birds of a Feather

Birds have always played a part in many cultures since the dawn of time. Various type of birds were used by various cultures to symbolise hope, wealth and happiness while in other cultures certain birds foretold a coming death or some other type of disaster.

As in ages long gone, birds, and their associated parts like feathers, eggs, nests etc. have been used in varying forms of artwork. You only need to type in the words I just mentioned here on Pinterest to come up with literally hundreds of artwork pieces!

Here is a mood board I have prepared featuring a number of screen shots from the images I found that were featured as art journal or mixed media artwork.

Mood-Board-Week-1-WEB.jpg
    Your challenge this week is to use this mood board as inspiration to create a layout that contains either a bird, a feather, a nest, an egg or anything else associated with a bird. These images can be a photo, a sketch, a painting, part of an element or part of the paper you use......... the main thing to remember is that I need to actually see a bird associated image. Of course you can utilise all of your creative techniques to blend your images, mask them or run an action on them first, what ever you want to do, but I need discern that there is a bird, or something associated with a bird, on your page. :)

Also, I would like you to keep in tune with the colours shown in the mood board, so think natural browns, creams, whites and beige; teal blues; blue-grays; patina type greens and/or natural leaf greens.

Here is my layout:
    I went with an art journaling theme and used birds, eggs and feathers in varying mediums. The photograph of the bird is one I took of a Grey Fantail and I used Topaz Impressions to give it a painterly look.
    [​IMG]
    Credits: Please see gallery

I am really looking forward to seeing what you creative gals will come up with, but remember the two simple 'rules' for this challenge: You need to have a bird, or something associated with a bird (it needs to be an image, not just wordart) AND please use the general colours found in the mood board above.

You may create any style of layout (ie. clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc.) you wish, with or without photos but for this challenge you do need an image of some sort. Create any size page you wish. This is for everyone, so have fun and see where the inspiration takes you. If you want all 4 Muses on one page that's perfectly ok or you can make 4 separate pages!! It's totally up to you! :)

Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to June 30th and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month for a coupon!! You can use any products in The Lilypad store or retired products from current Lilypad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines).

If you have any questions, ask away! :)

Hope you join me for this month's challenge!

Ga_L, bbymks5 and Iowan like this.
  2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh, I was so excited to see the June Monthly Muse posted this morning!! I LOVE this month's theme and oh my goodness, if your layout isn't absolutely gorgeous!! What an inspiration you have given us! I also love the colors of the moodboard. Can't wait to see what I can come up with!

wombat146 likes this.
  3. wombat146

Oh I am so glad you like this week's inspiration and I can't wait to see what you come up with Cheryl! Hope you have fun with it and I am now heading off to bed as it is 12.36am downunder! :)

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Have a good night's sleep. I'm just getting up and going. LOL

wombat146 likes this.
  5. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Your page is beautiful!!!!:bk Interesting theme. Not thrilled with the color limitation though- that's more of a " scrap" thought. AJ is about freedom and self expression, IMHO.:backing

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    wombat146 likes this.
  6. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

love the theme and your inspiration page. hope to find time to play with you

wombat146 likes this.
  7. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I love owls!
    [​IMG]

wvsandy likes this.
  8. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

9. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

10. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

As usual, I will be creating ATC's for this months challenges:
    [​IMG]

11. wombat146

LOL! love your last emoji Amanda!! :giggle I agree that AJ is about freedom and self expression but as this is an 'AJ Challenge' I wanted to add some spice to it. :yup Rather than limiting your self expression I was hoping that it might provide a chance to explore the possibilities of using a restricted colour palette. Can't wait to see what you come up with Amanda! :-)

Edited to add: I see you have already done your page Amanda and I love it! Off to the gallery I go! :beat

cinderella likes this.
  12. wombat146

Loving everyone's layouts so far! :wubb

13. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Well, I didn't read too carefully, my original layout was in greens and reds. Oops.... So just a warning, while the elements are of the correct color, they have been modified from the original designer's intent.

[​IMG]

wvsandy and wombat146 like this.
  14. wombat146

@mcurtt Oh wow Marilyn! what a fantastic page and thanks so much for taking the time to recolour everything! :happyhug

mcurtt likes this.
  15. Cherylndesigns

What a fun challenge. Here's what I came up with.

[​IMG]

wombat146 likes this.
  16. wombat146

oooooh! what gorgeously sweet page Cheryl! LOVE your little wren there and the quote you used is just so true!

17. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Kate Hadfields kit asked to be used in this challenge lol
    [​IMG]

18. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

Computer issues - AARRGGHHH!!! Finally got this ATC done reverting to a previous version of PSE.
    [​IMG]

19. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Love how the colors and elements of this month's BYOC matches this challenge!
    [​IMG]

Cherylndesigns and mcurtt like this.
  20. wombat146

Some more gorgeous layouts have been added!!! yay!!! @Nemla Vivi :giggle @KAPOH So glad you were able to get it finished! It's horrid have pc issues!!! @wvsandy Sandy, I did'nt even realise that the latest BYOC colours would be a perfect fit! thanks for telling us!!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018