July 17 Photography: Get in the Photo

Discussion in 'Weekly Focus Challenges' started by bestcee, Jul 17, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Hi everyone! Ready for another week of Focus Challenges? This week our focus is on Photography.
    We are going to start off easy: Get in the Photo. You can get in the photo alone and take a selfie. You can get in the photo with someone important - spouse, child, partner, dog, cat. You can take a photo of a group of friends.

Cheryl @gonewiththewind has many wonderful tips for taking Selfies you'll love! Here are a few in action:
    1. Chin is pushed forward, minimizing that double chin look. I also have my tongue on the room of my mouth.
    2. The light is good. It's creating "catchlights" in my eyes, and the natural light softens my face.
    3. The tilt of my face creates interest. Much more than staring straight at the camera.
    4. The camera is above my head. Much more flattering angle for me. Find an angle that works for you!

[​IMG]

Not feeling comfortable today with your face? Try a self timer (or remote) pose from the back. The chair helps draw the attention away from my bottom half. My camera is sitting on a kitchen counter behind me. I have also propped it up on books, rocks outside, a fence post, or anywhere else I think it'll be safe.
    [​IMG]

Got an extra body at home? Let your child or partner take a photo. Sure, it's a little out of focus. This would be more flattering if he was at eye level or above. Since he wasn't, I made sure to tilt my chin towards him ( I actually leaned my whole body a little bit) so no double chin. I also held the fan strategically, since the closest part to the camera appears the largest!
    [​IMG]

Snap where you are, where you've been, or who you are with. Flyaways, red faced from heat, little photo bombers, celebrate it all. Let the rules and tips go out the window - and enjoy it!
    [​IMG]

You are part of the story you are telling. So, get in the photo! The only rules are that you have fun, try something new (or old, maybe you are awesome at being in the photo! If so, please add tips and tricks!) and follow the Lilypad Gallery Guidelines when posting.

Please follow the Lilypad Gallery Guidelines: Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products (current or retired product from current designers; templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.

2. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

Love this! :)

bestcee likes this.
  3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Great post!! verey fun.. will definitely try the chin stuff!!

bestcee likes this.
  4. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

I'm not shy about getting myself in, but even if I was...I would be after reading!!!!! AWESOME tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bestcee likes this.
  5. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Took some selfies this a.m. after reading this post, in my jammies, bed head, before getting ready for work. Hoping to do something with them for this challenge. Now if there was some easy way to get rid of those wrinkles...

bestcee likes this.
  6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Great post, Courtney!!! :beat

bestcee likes this.
  7. bestcee

Celebrate them! You've laughed, loved, enjoyed the sun, and earned them in living.

Or, I haven't done much with wrinkles, but I've read that black and white can be more forgiving for wrinkles?

8. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I have been a little obessed with selfies so I try and take some of myself every week or so.

I just took some this morning after getting ready for the doctor office -- Great News I lost 5 pounds over the last month.

Now I just need to scrap it.

Well - that photo is just a tad small but at least it doesn't show all my fat and wrinkles as much.

Attached Files:

KarenB and bestcee like this.
  9. bestcee

Way to go! That's awesome! And your selfie looks fine!

10. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

@bestcee Great challenge, Courtney! Nice tips too. All of us "photographers" need to remember that we're part of the story too. Let's not write ourselves out of it!

bestcee likes this.
  11. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Cool! I'll make something next week when I'm back from my next road trip... (Sometimes I just wish summertime would be less busy so I could scrap!!)

bestcee likes this.
  12. bestcee

Always! So glad it's not just me!

13. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Being part of the story is something I struggle with. I'm almost always behind the camera but rarely in front of it. It's something I should work on, for sure!

bestcee likes this.
  14. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Your photos are just stellar, great tips. I think I have taken one selfie in my life.

bestcee likes this.
  15. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

I'm with Iowan. I don't do selfies and usually I am the photographer so I'm often missing from the photos. I'm never really happy with the shots others make when I hand off my camera as I am "picky" about background, etc. But we are getting ready to travel so I will make an effort to get some photos by asking others to shoot for me and make a layout when we return in August. Sorry but this will be late.

Okay so below is the layout I had to make. I know it sounds like a "rant" but it is a message that resounds with me. No offense intended to those with other opinions.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    MrsPeel and bestcee like this.
  16. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

17. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

You totally need to change your avatar out. I can totally see your face so much better and you are so beautiful! Awesome job taking that selfie!

bestcee likes this.
  18. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Well, I totally love this challenge. I mean, seriously, who doesn't love a good selfie!?!

Y'all, I'm over 100 pounds overweight. I'm in poor physical condition dealing with chronic back pain daily. I do not have great self-esteem. But guess what? I take selfies! And the more I take, the more I like what I see. I'm not perfect, but I'm present. I'm not thin, but I'm talented. I'm not gorgeous, but I'm genuine. I'm not model-material, but I'm mature. I'm not ravishing, but I'm respectable. I could go on and on.

Get in front of that camera and take some photos of yourself!

19. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Amen, Cheryl! We all have something that makes us unhappy with our appearance (whether it's really warranted or not). I have big teeth. When I was a teenager, I didn't like to smile, even though they were straight. It's just human nature. Fight the urge to hide, my peeps. Get in front of that camera lens, and show the world the beautiful you!

BTW, Cheryl - You are always gorgeous in your pics. Your skin looks amazing in EVERY.SINGLE.ONE!! :heartlub

gonewiththewind and bestcee like this.
  20. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I prefer to be BEHIND the camera!

[​IMG]