Journaling text ideas

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Apr 7, 2016.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Here are some techniques to add interest to your journaling. Today we will be playing with text shapes and paths.

TEXT TECHNIQUES

1. Fill it in | Using the shape tool, draw any shape. Click on the text tool and hover over the shape. The text tool will now have a dotted circle around it (instead of the usual dotted square). Click on the shape and start typing to fill the shape with text. Make sure the paragraph is set to justified. Adjust the spacing, kerning, and text size until you are happy. Once you have finished the text, delete the shape itself.

[​IMG]
    Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 9.09.11 AM
    by farrahj, on Flickr

2. Surround it | Once again, using the shape tool, draw a shape. Click on the text tool and hover over the shape’s outline. The text tool will now have a dotted squiggly line through the middle (instead of the usual dotted square). Click on the shape and start typing. The text will follow the path of the outside of the shape. Make sure the paragraph is set to justified. Adjust the spacing, kerning, and text size until you are happy. Once you have finished the text, delete the shape itself. This makes a great frame!

[​IMG]
    Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 9.13.47 AM
    by farrahj, on Flickr

3. Walk the line | Using the freeform pen tool, draw a line. Click on the text tool and hover over the line. The text tool will now have a dotted squiggly line through the middle (instead of the usual dotted square). Click on the line and start typing. The text will follow the path of the line. Make sure the paragraph is set to justified. Adjust the spacing, kerning, and text size until you are happy.

[​IMG]
    Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 9.22.52 AM
    by farrahj, on Flickr

4. Work around it | Using the pen tool, draw a shape by clicking points around the elements you’re working around. Make sure you close the shape by clicking your last point on the same spot as your first point (the pen tool will have a little circle next to it). Click on the text tool and hover over the shape. The text tool will now have a dotted circle around it (instead of the usual dotted square). Click on the shape and start typing to fill the shape with text. Adjust the paragraph justification, spacing, kerning, and text size until you are happy. This works great for working around shaped photos or clusters of elements.

[​IMG]
    Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 9.33.12 AM
    by farrahj, on Flickr

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  2. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

OOOHH I didn't know how to do these. I can hardly wait to get home and play with this!

3. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Looks great, Farrah! Using the Shape and text tool is a favorite of mine! :)

4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

5. Li Li Wee

Li Li Wee I create my imagination

6. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

7. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

@misslovescraps , and everyone else. A video tutorial coming soon. I am saving it right now.

8. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

wonderful, thank you

is it possible to edit the shape once text is put in it?

9. Dalis

10. Dalis

Yes.

Cath_ and Li Li Wee like this.
  11. Li Li Wee

Li Li Wee I create my imagination

Dalis likes this.
  12. Dalis

I even got to finish my page using the last technique!

[​IMG]

13. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

@Dalis, that was excellent!! Thank you for the video!!!

Dalis likes this.
  14. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

15. knclark

knclark Chocolate snob

Thank you for the the instructions. Now I just need to remember it when I want to use it!

16. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Thanks @FarrahJobling for doing this for the speed scrap and then moving it to the learning forum. It is awesome! Thanks @Dalis for the video tutorial too.. great job!

Also using PS/CC if you take the text tool and make a rectangle with it, it will also give you a text box to type in :)

Dalis likes this.
  17. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

And if you forget to do this, or have a template that didn't do this, you can right-click on the text and choose to convert it to paragraph text to get a box without starting over :)

Speaking of templates, it can also be handy to "load selection" on a template layer, and create a work path similar to the last technique Dalis showed, so you can journal in whatever the template shape is without recreating it yourself.

cfile likes this.
  18. cfile

I love all these added tips :) Thanks @lorryfach going to try that load selection idea here soon :) sounds intriguing & time saving!!

19. Dalis

Yes, that is true I think for PSE and PS.

20. cfile

@lorryfach - I tried to do this right click conversion thingy and it wasn't working for me. I will try again but I was not getting that as an option when I right clicked on my text. I ended up using the text tool and making the text box.