January 4th - Stylin' Titles (Technique Challenge)

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by mommyish, Jan 4, 2017.

1. mommyish

mommyish Style Addict

1/4/17: Stylin' Titles (Technique Challenge)

This is a technique challenge. In order to get credit for this challenge you will need to change your title using layer styles (if you have PSE/CS/CC) or by using papers to change the look of your title into something new!

As you all know I am a huge style addict! I especially love how layer styles can change the feel of your page - especially when it comes to titles. It can be a drop shadow, a bevel, clipping a fun paper into the layer - all of these things can make for a quick and fun way to dramatically change one of the anchors of your page. Below you can see how I have taken my page title and applied various effects (or just clipped papers) to change up my layout - I even did a glitter effect for good measure :P

[​IMG]

Some of you may recall my style challenge from months back - you can use those styles for this challenge!

To use layer styles all you need to do is load the styles in your program then in -

PSE - Expert Mode > Effects Tab > Load Effects > (load the style/asl file here)
    CS/CC - Open the file as you would any document. Pull your style tab by going to Window > Styles > the styles will be loaded in this tab.

Tip for GIMP - In GIMP you can not load photoshop layer styles - however you can search google for GIMP Plugins that allow you to create basic layer effects like drop shadows, bevels, etc!

[​IMG]

Let's go a bit more in depth!

As you see here I have a *almost* finished layout - all that is needed is to finalize my page title.
    [​IMG]

Then I decided to take a corrugated cardboard paper to use as my "alpha"

[​IMG]

Next I decided to give it a bit more dimension using a style - for this one I used a simple bevel (these are included in most programs)

[​IMG]

Here is another example using the style freebie! First I took one of the kits papers and clipped it to my title.

How to "clip" papers -
    • In PSE you need to drag your paper above your title and simply do Control + G.
    • In CS/CC you need to drag your paper above your title and do Control + Alt + G.

[​IMG]

Then I applied one of the wire rim styles from the challenge freebie -

[​IMG]

Neato, right?! As you can see there are loads of ways to change up your titles to create a beautiful focal point for your page. Don't be afraid to play around and pull papers from unexpected places. You can even double up and apply multiple effects! The sky is the limit!

Requirements:
    1. Create a bold page title.
    2. Apply a style/s to the title (just a drop shadow doesn't count!) and/or clip papers to title (for non PSE/CS/CC Users)

Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page should be uploaded to the TLP Gallery and not an outside hosting site. Please post your page in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean. You should also post your page here in this thread, and people can comment here if they wish. Pages should contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store). All MOC pages must be posted in your main MOC page thread by 11:59 pm eastern time on February 2 in order to count!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2017
    wombat146, amandac, bellbird and 9 others like this.
  2. mirjam

mirjam mirjam

Can't wait to get started! Thanks for the styles Leah!

3. MrsGaramer

MrsGaramer Using my imagination

Ohhh I love styles!!! This is going to be fun

4. jwalls39

jwalls39 Well-Known Member

5. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

Fab challenge

6. Meg

Meg There's no place like home

Thanks ! Love this kind of challenge.

7. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

Yay! Challenge is posted!!!!

8. KarenT72

KarenT72 Member

Little nervous. Never used styles before :faint2!!

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  9. sberkan

sberkan Says "yes" to new adventures...

I love styles! How fun is this!?

10. mommyish

mommyish Style Addict

And soon you will be ADDICTED! :D *evil laugh* If you need any help just let me know!

SandyPie, amandac and cinna like this.
  11. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Thanks for the GIMP tip!

12. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Great challenge! What font do you like to use that works well with layer styles? I tend to use thin scripty fonts, but love the look of the bold 2 in your LO.

13. Ruthe14

Ruthe14 Branch Manager of my family

Styles....always a challenge.

14. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Love me some styles....use them all the time!!

15. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Kept it simple for this one. Love the styles... thank you!! I used two styles on the title... Halftone Distressing - White and a Metal Rim with Shadow.

[​IMG]

16. grrfluudy

grrfluudy This? Oh it's just my million dollar pen.

Yay! New challenge!! I love the title GIF. Totally cool! :)

jenevang likes this.
  17. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

18. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Styles are the best Karen!!!! Once you try them you won't go back. LOL

19. andastra

andastra Can't knock me down for long!

January 4: Stylin´Titles:
    [​IMG]

I clipped wooden paper over the metal alpha. The alphabet is contained in the kit sugar sands beach by etc by Danyale.

mirjam, KarenB, MariSt and 1 other person like this.
  20. mommyish

mommyish Style Addict

One of my favorite fonts for use on styles (especially styles with more of a bevel) is Bebas - which is a free font! I also often look at weights when I am searching for fonts - for example at FontSquirrel I go to the side and browse by tag - "heavy" or "bold". Another thing you can do is play around with adding strokes to create a bolder look. One of my favorite tricks is to duplicate my text layer and on the lower layer I add the stroke and the upper layer I may "engrave" it. Here is an example:

[​IMG]
    (I used the font "Alex Brush" and Stylin' #209)