January 26 – Tradition/Heritage (Journaling)

Discussion in 'MOC 2018 Challenges' started by Iowan, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Joan K

Joan K Maybe I'll just grow down

I used the same picture as for the name challenge, but told more memories about my grandparents and great aunt. This was interesting - I did not quite know where the journaling would go. :) Text of the journaling is the first comment for this picture in the gallery.

[​IMG]

Iowan and wvsandy like this.
  2. Tiff

Tiff I don't need no stinking playlists!

This is a weird kind of story, but I think that it meets the requirements. It is a story about something that happened in the 1900s (just barely!). It also ties in with current events, so I hope that is ok.
    [​IMG]

Iowan likes this.
  3. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

January 26 - Tradition/Heritage Journaling Challenge

[​IMG]
    Journaling:

The year is 1917. My Great Grandparents moved to Montana from Canada to the county of Stillwater to a small, largely abandoned town named Nora, which was basically just a Mercantile, a Railroad station, and a few homes. They purchased the Mercantile, and all the buildings outright and renamed the town Wheat Basin.

By 1918, my great grandmother Frances was the Postmistress of the town, the family ran the Mercantile, and Great Grandpa Edward was the barber. Soon this little town grew and now had a developed main street with a grain elevator, a bank, stores, a dance hall, and lumber yards. The town was primarily an agricultural community with a stop and depot, and as my Grandma Peggy told us, it was a wonderful place to live. She grew up on a farm, and had many friends.

When Great Grandpa Edward decided to leave the town, she was very sad to leave it behind, but looked forward to a new life in Salinas, California, where the winters wouldn’t be so bone chilling cold. In 1936, the USPS closed the post office, the town soon followed.

Today, Wheat Basin is a ghost town, with little remaining that is easily visible except a number of concrete building foundations and depressions where buildings once stood. The streets and main road are also still present. The last surviving structure was the Grain Elevator, which burned down in 1997. A sign placard indicates the site of the former town. My mother and her cousin Barbara took a trip to see the town and took pictures of the empty lots, and the last remaining street sign.

Credits:
    Dawn Inskip Hush Staple, chevrons
    Dawn Inskip M3 Jan 18 background, button
    Little Butterfly Wings Jan 18 ADDON Blue Flower, paint
    ETc by Danyale Simple Life Numbers
    A Labau Jane Ribbon, pearls

Iowan likes this.
  4. gduncan

gduncan Well-Known Member

This was a fun challenge, but I hope to never have to journal this much again! I have 153 words in my journaling. I also used a poem I had written, but I had to make it so small you probably won't be able to read it! I'm so tired right now, I'm not sure if I did everything I was supposed to.

[​IMG]

Iowan likes this.
  5. vanessasmed

vanessasmed Well-Known Member

6. Thuria

Thuria Well-Known Member

7. AnikA68

AnikA68 Well-Known Member

oh this could be our family "tradtion" too, we have all failed the first time on the driving licences
    Thanks for sharing this

StefanieS likes this.
  8. AnikA68

AnikA68 Well-Known Member

my story
    [​IMG]

Iowan likes this.
  9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

hope the date's prominent enough!
    [​IMG]

Iowan likes this.
  10. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Thank you for the challenge. It was out of my comfort zone, for sure!
    It's the story of the phrase ("Do you see what I see?") that we say a lot as a family. The journaling is also in the gallery. Please excuse my grammar mistakes!
    [​IMG]

11. Meibritt

Meibritt CT - Kate Hadfield

Thanks for the challenge.

[​IMG]

12. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

WHEW!! Saved by the bell!! I just finished this challenge and then realized I had used current photos. Don't have photos from that time in my life. Soooooo---I figured I would have to start all over. Came back here to re-check the rules and there it was!!!! "Photos can be current." Can I say that I am doing the happy dance??????? :banana:byay:jumpey

Iowan likes this.
  13. familyhistoryscrapper

familyhistoryscrapper Once upon a time there was this dragon ...

14. scrapmore

scrapmore Active Member

15. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

Journaling {182 Words}:
    My parents divorced when I was only 3 years old. They had to split the holidays, so my grandmother came up with a brilliant idea. Every Christmas Eve, my Dad's side of the family gets together to celebrate the holiday. There is always lots of food, cookies, and presents. My grandmother's short & fat Christmas trees were always a topic of discussion & laughter. My grandfather used to set up an amazing train display complete with his handmade village. My grandmother always made delicious cookies; my favorite being the Spritz cookies she would use her cookie press to shape. At first, my brother and I were the only children. Then my uncle got married and they had 4 kids of their own. Years Later, I got married and had three kids of my own. My grandparents are no longer with us, but the tradition continues. I use the cookie press to make the Spritz cookies now. My aunt organizes games for the kids. It's amazing to think that something started because of an unfortunate event has carried on for 30 plus years.

[​IMG]

Iowan likes this.
  16. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

17. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

I might do a page around a family tradition that involves a recipe, @Iowan. If I include the recipe, does that count toward the 150 words? I will also explain the tradition of course....

Iowan likes this.
  18. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

Thanks for the lovely challenge!!
    [​IMG]

Iowan likes this.
  19. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

235 words - memories of spending time with my Dad when I was a child in the 1970's.

Iowan likes this.
  20. AmandaDawnRN

AmandaDawnRN Active Member

What a fun challenge! Another BOM page done.
    [​IMG]

Iowan likes this.