January 22: Geometrical Mosaics (Technique)

Discussion in 'MOC 2018 Challenges' started by jk703, Jan 22, 2018.

1. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

January 22: Geometrical Mosaics (Technique)

Hello there scrappers! Can you believe we are on Day 22 of MOC? I can't! It's flying by so fast and all the layouts astound me, from the creativity, the color combinations and all of these fun challenges! I'm WOW'ed every year!

Today, we are going to be making a Geometrical Mosaic. I do use Photoshop, but will provide some links for other software at the end of my post. PSE is very similar but there might be some slight differences in names or layer properties. The goal of this challenge is to introduce creating mosaics. Let's get started!

Here is my initial image. This is the only item in my Layers Palette.
    [​IMG]

Next, you will choose Filter > Blur > Guassian Blur.
    [​IMG]

A menu will pop up for the Guassian Blur. You will move the slider from between 100 to 250, depending on how blurry you want the layer to appear. If you have Preview checked, you can see how blurry the background gets as you slide left or right. Click ok.
    [​IMG]

Once you have clicked Ok on the Guassian Blur, your "Background" layer will change to Layer 0. You will then right click on your Layer 0, and duplicate it. I renamed mine to L1. (The name may not change in PSE, you can do it manually.)
    [​IMG]

Next, you will choose Filter > Pixelate > Crystallize. Crystallize will allow the photo to be broken up into smaller geometric shapes, almost an irregular pixelization, and it appears as if it is cracked all over.
    [​IMG]

The pop up menu will appear, and you will want to move the slider towards the right. For my example, I wanted bigger shapes, so I used 250. If you want smaller geometric shapes, pick a number lower, possibly around 150.
    [​IMG]

After I click ok, I will be done working with my second layer. Here is what it looks like at this point.
    [​IMG]

Now, you will make a duplicate of L1, and I renamed mine to L2.
    [​IMG]

We are going to use another Filter again. Choose Filter > Stylize > Find Edges. The layer will turn white and look as if it has cracks in it. This is normal and correct. Don't panic.
    [​IMG]

You can change the L2 layer to a Blend Mode of Multiply. Your image will then seem to have highlighted the cracks. You can see the difference, by turning the visibility of L2 on and off. Here is what my image and Layers Palette looks like at this point.
    [​IMG]

OPTIONAL
    You can duplicate the L2 layer and rename it L3. Once you have changed the name, you can play with the Blend Modes. I tried Soft Light, and created some nice edges to show off the geometric mosaic, plus the colors popped a bit more. Checking out how each Blend Mode works with the layer is another fun way to see how easily things can change in color or definition.

[​IMG]

I decided for mine to use L3 but changed it to Linear Burn to get some darkness and definition.
    [​IMG]

Without the Layers Palette in the way: :)
    [​IMG]

Here is the layout I created:

[​IMG]

Here are some other tutorials I have found regarding Geometric Mosaics, Pixelization, and Mosaics. If yours is not listed here, please let me know, so I can do some research. I am not familiar with all of these programs, but I will try to help the best that I can!

Corel Draw: http://learn.corel.com/tutorials/creating-mosaics-with-pointillizer-extension/
    Gimp: https://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-mosaic.html
    Inkscape: http://www.shmoggo.com/uncategorized/low-poly-art-tutorial-using-inkscape/
    Artisan: http://mypixels2pages.com/1_GettingStartedWithA5/BrightIdeas/p2P_MosaicMagicBI_GS5.pdf
    Serif: (Pixelate/Stained Glass) http://www.serif.com/appresources/HLX4/Help/en-us/PhotoPlus/Effects/Stylistic_effects.htm
    Scrapbook Max: (maybe crackle and mosaic?) http://www.serif.com/appresources/HLX4/Help/en-us/PhotoPlus/Effects/Stylistic_effects.htm
    Fotor, Generator: https://www.fotor.com/app.html#/editor/effect
    (For Fotor, you will need to create it. Try Tilt+Shift - Brush/Apply and Pixelate/Apply to achieve the effect.)
    Photoshop: Stained Glass Filter, Mosaic Filter and a Pixelization filter that you could try as well.

I have also written a tutorial called Pixelization for Pink Reptile Designs, which is another way to get a square effect of Geometric Mosaics on your layout: http://pinkreptiledesigns.blogspot.com/2016/04/tutorial-pixelizing.html
    Or the Stained Glass filter for Pink Reptile Designs tutorial:
    http://pinkreptiledesigns.blogspot.com/2018/01/fun-with-filters-stained-glass-filter.html

Here are the requirements for the challenge:
    1. Create a geometric mosaic out of an image. The geometric mosaic can be square, circle, triangle or irregular like my example.
    2. The geometric mosaic should take up at least 1/4th of your layout. No ATC's will be accepted.
    3. Post the original image in this thread, along with your completed layout.
    4. You must use scrap product on your page; you cannot have JUST a photograph. Remember to follow the 75% current product rule (see below).

I am SOOOOO excited to see what you create! Get to scrapping, everyone! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    General Requirements:
    Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:
    1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    Pages should contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    andastra, KarenW, Mylinn and 6 others like this.
  2. jk703

Saving a spot to answer questions and place all together! :)

Make a Digital Photo Mosaic in Paint Shop Pro (www.pahnation.com). There were no images or other information. If it is correct, I'll add it to the second post. :) I am not sure if these directions work, so please chime in if they do or don't.

Open Paint Shop Pro and click the Browse button in the toolbar. In Paint Shop Pro, this button appears like a file cabinet. Browse the folders and pictures until you find the one you’d like to use for your digital photo mosaic. Click Effects > Texture Effects. Then select either “Mosaic Antique” or “Mosaic Glass.” If you select “Mosaic Antique,” adjust the number of columns and rows on the left side, then alter the tile diffusion, grout width and grout diffusion. If you choose “Mosaic Glass,” change the glass curvature and edge curvature in addition to the other settings. Look at the preview above the settings controls to see the changes in your mosaic. Click the eye button to proof your photo mosaic in the full image window.

Yes, please. For consistency and because it is part of the requirements.

Just a part is ok... just get the 1/4 part of the page in of any section of your mosaic. Then, when posting, include your original image. Let me know if you have more questions.

[​IMG]

You can try whatever you'd like. I'm mainly looking for a general geometric mosaic - any shape, and however your program can allow. If you have one in mind, you can send me it in a conversation if you are worried. :)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Trina513, nfenchak and Sokee like this.
  3. shastahun

shastahun Active Member

How fun! I can't wait!

jk703 likes this.
  4. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

jk703...I think the date is wrong on the forum thread

jk703 likes this.
  5. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

Cool challenge and yes the date is wrong in the title, which may cause some confusion @jk703!

jk703 likes this.
  6. Genniejoy

Genniejoy Well-Known Member

Argh! I've been waiting ALLL day for this (It's 11:48 pm here) and now that I've seen it I'm like....NOOOOOO! Looks way out of my ability and comfort zone! Having said that, it was hard to realise it was there as it's posted under Day 21, you need to change that please. (I've learnt to watch how many posts there are, so once it went from 21 to 22 I knew it was there but it took me three read thorough to find it!) Off to try to find a photo and read/watch the Artisan link but I think I'll have to wait to see more examples tomorrow. You DO like to stretch people. Thanks for all the links though, so thorough! :)

7. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

thanks for the challenge ..and tutorial ... I'll play this evening ...

- January 21: Geometrical Mosaics (Technique) - I think today we are January 22 ... little type error in the title of the topic ...

8. jk703

All fixed.

Remember, give it a TRY before you decide it's too difficult. It's very simple, but I have a lot of images for step by step. Remember, don't judge a book by it's cover (or it's tutorial images!). :) Have fun, all!

Genniejoy, Frumpje, cfile and 2 others like this.
  9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

The tutorial you have listed for Corel is for Corel Draw, not Paint Shop Pro. So far I haven't found one for PSP.

10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

soo looking forward to mosaic-ing tomorrow!!:stash :hammock

11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

you'll be fine - i think dispersion was more daunting than this and you nailed that!
    G'Night!

Genniejoy likes this.
  12. jk703

I just found these directions. Would you like to try it out to see if it works? Otherwise, I believe @MrsPeel was going to try to chime in on how she was able to accomplish it.

Make a Digital Photo Mosaic in Paint Shop Pro (www.pahnation.com). There were no images or other information. :)

Open Paint Shop Pro and click the Browse button in the toolbar. In Paint Shop Pro, this button appears like a file cabinet. Browse the folders and pictures until you find the one you’d like to use for your digital photo mosaic. Click Effects > Texture Effects. Then select either “Mosaic Antique” or “Mosaic Glass.” If you select “Mosaic Antique,” adjust the number of columns and rows on the left side, then alter the tile diffusion, grout width and grout diffusion. If you choose “Mosaic Glass,” change the glass curvature and edge curvature in addition to the other settings. Look at the preview above the settings controls to see the changes in your mosaic. Click the eye button to proof your photo mosaic in the full image window.

JenniferJ, Karen and MrsPeel like this.
  13. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

oh Jenn!!! so sorry I didn't;t get back to this!!! didn't realise it was today!!!!!

I used Craft Artist Professional , first version, There is also a Craft Artist Pro 2, but I think the filters are same for both and you have posed a link to how to.
    That I did (haven't look at your link yet) was: choose the photo-
    The click in Photo Lab- I used from the effects the Stained Glass-
    There is also a choice to use Gaussian Blur which I think it was what you mentioned when I showed you the image, so maybe use Gaussian blue (also in Photo Lab, and then Stained Glass, I will try do this today!!!!

Kate W and jk703 like this.
  14. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Don't get discouraged. I just followed her instructions step by step and it took me two minutes. You can do it!

jk703 likes this.
  15. jk703

@HavaDrPepper Sorry... I was trying to tag you in my previous post, but I was spelling Have versus Hav. See post #12.

16. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Oh this is fun!!! I'm almost done with my layout. It's really easy - I just followed the instructions and played a teeny bit and it worked fine!

jk703 and Karen like this.
  17. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I love this technique and your layout using it Jenn! :)

jk703 likes this.
  18. Genniejoy

Genniejoy Well-Known Member

I think you might be right. I just went through it and it looked scarier than I think it is. But it's for tomorrow. 12:30 am here now. :) Goodnight/morning! :)

bellbird likes this.
  19. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

This looks like a lot of fun, Jenn. I've always wanted to create this type of LO.

For those freaking out, the directions are simple. They just look scary. You can do it!!! :agree

bellbird, berniek and jk703 like this.
  20. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I did find that PSP has a Pixelate Effect but it does not allow for the crystalize. The steps for photoshop do work except for that (adjustments specs are different though). However, all ways I have tried... Pixalate, Mosaic Antique or Mosaic Glass only show as blocks. I have found no way to have the odd shaped results that you have. If someone else can figure it out, that would be great.