Jan 30 - All In A Row - Technique

Discussion in 'MOC 2018 Challenges' started by Lena Gardner, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Lena Gardner

Lena Gardner Designer

You're almost to the finish line! This month you've really stretched yourself as you tried new techniques. Today's technique is simple--you're going to create a page where the design of the page is in a column or row, including at least 3 lines of text. The text needs to be fully justified. Justifying text means it touches both the right side and the left side of your designated journaling area. There are many ways to accomplish this.

• You can create journaling in a column by simply typing several rows of journaling that are the same length. If your program doesn't have the same features as mine, this is an easy way to complete this challenge.
    • You can create journaling in a column by using the technique I've explained below. I'm using Photoshop Creative Cloud and your screen might look slightly different.
    • You can start with a template that already has text in a path. You may need to make changes to the template for it to fit the design requirements of this challenge.
    To complete this challenge:

1. Scrap a new page whose design features a column or row. It can be horizontal or vertical, not diagonal. Your column/row can be any size as long as it is recognizable. The column/row should span the entire length or width of your page. If using a template, you may need to add papers or elements to create the visual effect. No elements, journaling, or papers outside of the columned design other than your background. (shadows, small overhang or dates are fine, as illustrated in my first page below)

2. Journal at least 3 lines as part of your column design. Make sure it is fully justified using one of the bulleted methods above.

Here are pages I created to showcase a vertical and horizontal column design:
    [​IMG]
    (November Nights by Allison Pennington)

[​IMG]
    (Sunday Morning by Becca Bonneville)

Here's another example where I modified a template. I began with Fiddle-Dee-Dee's Hello Autumn (Dressed Down) and added a strip of paper and journal card to complete my column.

[​IMG]

(Unicorn Power by Becca Bonneville)

Creating justified text in Photoshop (I'm usingCC) :
    [​IMG]

Specific tips for other scrapping software:

In PSE, you can select the text and press Ctrl+Shift+J or CMD+Shift+J to justify the text.

To recap:

• Create a page where all of your papers and elements fit into one horizontal or vertical row that spans the entire height or width of the page.
    • Somewhere in the row you build, create a column of text using one of the methods listed above. It should be at least 3 lines and be fully justified.
    Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:
    1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    Pages should contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

mirjam, KittyY, crazsquaw and 15 others like this.
  2. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

This one is going to be easy and fun! I feel clean and graphic coming on!!

Tomorrow is the last day - they must be holding back a doozy!!!

JillW and Lena Gardner like this.
  3. Lena Gardner

Lena Gardner Designer

I honestly haven't seen it yet so who knows? Maybe it'll be like scrapping rocket science or maybe we'll go easy on you.... :P

4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Ask around in the forum. Usually one specific person does the last challenge :giggle

Lor, Frumpje and kraezd70 like this.
  5. KarenK

KarenK Well-Known Member

fun challenge, here is my page:

[​IMG]

Lena Gardner and Mylinn like this.
  6. got2digiscrap

got2digiscrap Well-Known Member

Thank you for a great challenge. Happy Day 30 everyone.

[​IMG]

kit: Yeehaw by Kristin Aagard https://the-lilypad.com/store/digital-scrapbooking-kit-yeehaw.html

journaling: Since you want to be a veternarian when you grow up. Daddy and me thought you would enjoy going to the Rodeo. You were in love with all the animals. Your favorite part was the petting zoo followed by a really close almost tie would be the carpet slide that you constantly did over and over. You were so exhausted your could not climb it all in one breath the last time. Even then you wanted one more time. We had to tell you no but promised you could the next time. It was a wonderful first rodeo.

Link to Gallery: https://the-lilypad.com/forum/galleries/_moc2018_day30_allinarowtechnique.336307/

7. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

@lmccandless What doozy have you got in store for us ? Any hints?

jenn mccabe likes this.
  8. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

[​IMG]
    Thanks for an easy challenge.

9. zanthia

zanthia CT - Kate Hadfield

this does NOT work - -all it does is left justifies.
    perhaps this only works on the latest version. I use pse 10. any suggestions

Lena Gardner likes this.
  10. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

@Lena Gardner I didn't know you were doing a challenge!
    @mrs2a50 The way the instructions are laid out is just perfect for my brain.

Lena Gardner, mrs2a50 and bestcee like this.
  11. girlonmac(Lisa)

girlonmac(Lisa) Active Member

12. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

One to go. Here is mine:
    [​IMG]

13. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

14. scraptraci

scraptraci June Cleaver

I'm hoping i did this correctly. if not please let me know and i will fix it. i enjoyed this challenge, thanks for hosting it
    and i got to learn how to fully justify in PSE (Ctrl Shift J)

[​IMG]

15. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Another great scrapbooking idea! Here's mine.

[​IMG]

LynnG, Lena Gardner, wvsandy and 3 others like this.
  16. bestcee

Dang it! I tried it in 11 and 13.

Do you have a template with justified text you can pull in the text layer from? Usually Fiddle Dee Dees are justified.

Lena Gardner likes this.
  17. Stacy

Stacy Well-Known Member

Here is my all in a row! I'm glad this one was an easy one! If only I didn't go through 6million pics to find ones to scrap I would be done so much faster!
    [​IMG]

18. zanthia

zanthia CT - Kate Hadfield

I will look and see - do any of her past freebies have justified text that you know of that would work

19. bestcee

I'm pretty sure all of hers have justified text.

20. Stacy

Stacy Well-Known Member

Well isn't that good to know! Now that I just spaced mine out since I couldn't find a spot to click to do it!