I've read a few books recently that I liked enough to share-

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by jenn33199, Apr 16, 2017.

1. jenn33199

jenn33199 Just point me to the low-carb brownies!

Yes, we all have lengthy reading lists already. But I thought these were worth reading if you are looking for something new (or new to you)!

1. The prose in this one was as delicious as chocolate.
    The School of Essential Ingredients
    by Erica Bauermeister Once a month, eight students gather in Lillian's restaurant for a cooking class. Among them is Claire, a young woman coming to terms with her new identity as a mother; Tom, a lawyer whose life has been overturned by loss; Antonia, an Italian kitchen designer adapting to life in America; and Carl and Helen, a long-married couple whose union contains surprises the rest of the class would never suspect...

The students have come to learn the art behind Lillian's soulful dishes, but it soon becomes clear that each seeks a recipe for something beyond the kitchen. And soon they are transformed by the aromas, flavors, and textures of what they create

2. The next one is one of my very favorite books because (to me) it spoke so profoundly to what it means to be human. I did listen to this on audio.
    Expiration Day
    by William Campbell Powell
    Expiration Day is an insightful coming-of-age novel set in the near future by debut author William Campbell Powell.
    It is the year 2049, and humanity is on the brink of extinction. Tania Deeley has always been told that she's a rarity: a human child in a world where most children are sophisticated androids manufactured by Oxted Corporation. When a decline in global fertility ensued, it was the creation of these near-perfect human copies called teknoids that helped to prevent the utter collapse of society.

Though she has always been aware of the existence of teknoids, it is not until her first day at The Lady Maud High School for Girls that Tania realizes that her best friend, Siân, may be one. Returning home from the summer holiday, she is shocked by how much Siân has changed. Is it possible that these changes were engineered by Oxted? And if Siân could be a teknoid, how many others in Tania's life are not real?

Driven by the need to understand what sets teknoids apart from their human counterparts, Tania begins to seek answers. But time is running out. For everyone knows that on their eighteenth "birthdays,"teknoids must be returned to Oxted—never to be heard from again.

Told in diary format, Expiration Day is the powerful and poignant story of a young girl coming of age and discovering what it means to be truly human by a talented debut novelist.

3. Read this decades ago- and have reread it regularly.
    Coming Home
    by Rosamunde Pilcher
    Against the backdrop of an elegant Cornwall mansion before World War II and a vast continent-spanning canvas during the turbulent war years, this involving story tells of an extraordinary young woman's coming of age, coming to grips with love and sadness, and in every sense of the term, coming home...

In 1935, Judith Dunbar is left behind at a British boarding school when her mother and baby sister go off to join her father in Singapore. At Saint Ursula's, her friendship with Loveday Carey-Lewis sweeps her into the privileged, madcap world of the British aristocracy, teaching her about values, friendship, and wealth. But it will be the drama of war, as it wrenches Judith from those she cares about most, that will teach her about courage...and about love.

Teeming with marvelous, memorable characters in a novel that is a true masterpiece, Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher is a book to be savored, reread, and cherished foreve

sm_amber likes this.
  2. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Not sure if the third is my cup of tea but the first two sound interesting. I will check to see our library carries them.

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Thanks! I'm totally adding at least the first one to my list.

Ok, let's be honest, I'll add all 3.

4. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

They sound interesting.

I am currently reading "The Shack".

busywoman139 likes this.
  5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

That second one is intriguing! I'm off to peek at it, see if I can get a sample.

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I started Coming Home about 5 months ago and I just can't get into it. I bought it because i heard rave reviews from several friends, but it's just not hooking me. It's not even a bad book, but there are SO many characters for me to keep straight! Lol! I WILL finish it though... cuz I paid for it! Lol!

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  7. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

I'm always up for book recs :) Thanks @jenn33199!

8. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

Thanks! Adding to my list.. :D

9. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

Off the check them out. Thanks!

10. jenn33199

jenn33199 Just point me to the low-carb brownies!

If you do read any of them I'd love to hear what you think!!

11. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

Love Rosamund Pilcher's work although haven't read any for a while, this one is on my shelf so might dust it off again. Currently obsessed with SciFi so the near future novel is going to be put straight on my list, thanks for the recommendations Jenn!

jenn33199 likes this.