I'm a One Kit Person

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by NancyP, Jan 12, 2018.

1. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Very rarely can I stick to just one kit, I'm sure my pages would come along much quicker if I could!

I type in keywords in my Lilypad folder (flower, button, paint etc) and just chose what grabs my eyes. I know I miss things this way because not everything has a keyword in the name :(

weaselwatchr and bestcee like this.
  2. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I'm still, for the most part, a once kit scrapper BUT lately I've been searching around different kits to find "just the right" element, button, word art or paper. The more I venture out the more I like it. I do need to find a better organization system to be able to find stuff easier. I tend to go back to the same designers, papers, elements over again.

3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I have my favorite designers that I go to all the time. There are some styles that just do not "speak" to me. Even in collabs I tend to use the designers I like.

Rikki likes this.
  4. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

Sara,

Can you possibly post a screen shot of your excel speadsheet? I have been waiting to do something that would help me "organize" and remember what I have.

I typically am a "kit" scrapper but recently have been trying to dig into using multiple kits on a layout am having problems finding kits with either similar colors or themes.

5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Can I post a screen shot?! Do you mean, can I help someone organize their digi stash? You've made my day!:fruit
    Here ya go, with a little add'l info for those who may need it:
    How I name my cells (click to see the full size):
    Kit-Top.jpg
    How to SORT via a column (the screen shot shows how to add level, which allows you to alphabetize within the your initial category. So, in this example, the spreadsheet is alphabetized by STORE, but I clicked Add Level to then alphabetize the DESIGNERs within each STORE):
    Kit-SS-Sort.jpg
    How to search for a theme (or whatever you want to find):
    Kit-SS-Search.jpg
    Please note that the ss's file name is "Kit List upd 2018-01." That means it was updated in January 2018, so I know I've added new items to it this month; it also lets BackBlaze recognize it as a new file so it backs it up. I re-name my Extras Excel ss the same way.
    Also, like others have mentioned, I tag my previews. It's just that listing everything all in one place like this makes it easier to find stuff as well as know exactly where I got something. :) If I need a staple, well... I don't tag individual files like that. I just find a staple from a TLP designer and call it good. :) I'm more worried about bigger themes (Christmas, kids, water, weather, vacation, Disney, etc) so that's how I usually search.
    Also, please note that this is what works for me. If you don't care when you bought something, then don't include that. If you don't care about colors, then don't include that. What's great about a spreadsheet is that you can make it whatever you want--as simple or as involved as pleases you. My goal was to make a ss that "fit" my screen: I didn't want to scroll to the right to see all of my categories lol.

HTH. Let me know if you have any questions!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  6. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

LOL...YES!!!!! So much yes to this!!!

Here's what I have in the works - https://airtable.com/shrQUknzIYOHTIP9h
    I could do this in Excel (much like you have @Tree City) but I decided to go this way so I could have a relational database. The risk I run is - since it's cloud based software - there's no guarantee that it will always be around. Who knows - I may end up just doing a ss in the end anyway, at least I have more control over the information that way.

Tree City likes this.
  7. Tree City

8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm not sure what part is a relational database, but I do know what I see on Airtable you can accomplish in Excel. You should see my Budget File!

I like how you included the previous stores too. And now I'm thinking.

9. bestcee

@Tree City
    I used to do that with the links for CT kits! So much easier than constantly looking them up. I love it!
    Now all you need is to add drop down boxes at the top to sort right? :giggle

Tree City likes this.
  10. Tree City

If I knew how to do that, then I would! :cool:

bestcee likes this.
  11. bestcee

Google "Drop Down List" with your excel version. It's really easy. You have a back page with the list you want as an option.

Tree City likes this.
  12. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Yes, I am. I believe it came from doing so many CT layouts using the new kit. Every once in a while I'll do a page with bits and pieces from here and there, then it's usually one designer's work so it all looks the same. But not very often. I guess when I do it most is scrapping Disney pages using Project Mouse, for that series is made to mix and match.

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  13. Tree City

I actually Googled it like 2 seconds after I wrote that I didn't know how. I think I'm going to play around with it tonight. I'm all for making data entry easier! :)

bestcee likes this.
  14. bestcee

Well, sometimes you need the encouragement that it's easy! And, excel is a little different depending on the versions, or I'd give you directions.

Tree City likes this.
  15. Tree City

I have Office 365, so I have whatever the latest version is. According to the video on office.com, it should be pretty easy!

bestcee likes this.
  16. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

A tip from me: I rename word art pieces that don't have the specific text in the name. For ex: some designers just call them designer_name_kit_name_wa1, wa2, etc. So I rename them "love", "happy", "dont let go", etc. - whatever is on the word art. That way I can do a Windows search on "love" and they will pop up.

I typically am an one kit person, but sometimes I want something that is not in the kit. Sometimes it is as simple as a staple, but often it is word art, so I use the Windows search function to help me.

klee73010 and bestcee like this.
  17. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

I pick pieces from here and there for the most part. It is very rare that I am able to use a single kit to scrap a page. There is always something extra that I need from somewhere else. But I do have my "go to" designers and kits that I probably use more than I should.

18. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I am only a one kit scrapper when it comes to CT layouts. Otherwise I mix the crap out of stuff. I have quite a few pages that I have used more than ten kits in. I generally will look through store previews if I am doing a freestyle layout to see what goes with something else. Etc by Danyale's stuff is awesome to mix and match. Her particular style can be seen in most of her designs.

19. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

This right here hit some the nail on the head. I am such a slow scrapper because I am trying to find that perfect embellishment or paper.

20. Jems

Jems Well-Known Member

I set myself the goal of using one kit for one my LOs this weekend, I ended up using bits from three, I think my issue is with rules, I shouldn't set them for myself.

Typically I do use more than one kit at a time, but I for sure have favouirte papers that I keep using.