Hybrid tips for kids

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by DisneyMom, May 14, 2018.

1. DisneyMom

DisneyMom official mousketeer

I'm 100% new to hybrid. I'm all digital, comfortable with computers and terrified about mixing scissors/glue with my scrapbooking stuff.

However my 2 oldest girls (almost 10 and 7 yrs) have been asking to do their own pages and brought me a whole bunch of their Disney stickers. So Im coming to you ladies for help/advice.

Should I do a basic layout and print it for them to embellish?
    If I print out elements from a digi kit how do you get them to stick up on the page (not flat glued on)?
    Should I just print photos and let the scrapbook it old school full paper style?

Other suggestions?
    Please help a momma out.

bellbird likes this.
  2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I started letting all of my 5 oldest grandkids start scrapbooking when they were 6 or 7. I bought them each a cheap scrapbook and just let them go to town. I was still paper scrapping then, so I had a lot of stash. Kids are so darned creative - one of my grandsons just colored in his and put a few stickers in his. I used to take them to the Dollar Tree and let them pick out 5 or 6 packages of stickers. I also always had colored paper and washable glue sticks. I'd start them out simple. I used to give them a stack of extra pictures too.

bellbird and DisneyMom like this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

P.S. - the Dollar Stores are a wealth of scrapbooking supplies!! They love markers, too.

4. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

When my daughter wanted to scrapbook, I started her with pocket scrapping and physical supplies. I did print some digital pocket cards for her (I print them on blank 4x6 index cards that I get at the office supply store... easy to print and not a lot of expense involved). But she journaled on and embellished the cards herself (she has a definitely love for washi tape!). I think she enjoyed working with the mini canvases of the pocket spots and didn't find them as overwhelming as filling a whole page as she was getting started.

So fun that they want to share in your hobby with you!

Angela Toucan, bellbird and DisneyMom like this.
  5. willimena

willimena Well-Known Member

I just finished a hybrid layout... the last 6 years have been pure digital.. and I didn’t realise how much my 12 year old who has to touch to learn, would value hybrid over digital. So interesting seeing his reaction to a hybrid page. So I would really encourage this activity with your children.

In your case I think it depends on budget for printing photos and the personality of your children. With my kids I would go ‘old school’ print the photos and allow them full creativity. I have little foam squares with adhesive on them for making elements pop off the page.

6. DisneyMom

Great Suggestions. Thank You! We have a photo printer and lots of Cardstock since I print out my layouts here at home. I guess I'll just print out a bunch of stuff and give them some photos to have fun with. I'll be sure to post up what they do with it all :)

bellbird likes this.
  7. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

YAY!!! Total hybrid girl here at the pad! As far as printing out the digital elements and not flat gluing them, you can buy foam adhesive, for example Therm O Web 3D Foam Squares or Scotch Foam Adhesive and then use that. The Scotch, I am not sure, I think just comes on a roll. The 3D Foam Squares come in a 1/4 inch and 1/2 size. Confession, I am on Therm O Web's design team! But the squares might be an easier solution with kids since they are already cut into squares.

I would ask them what they want to do! The 7 year old may like you printing a "page" and then using it like a sticker book. The 10 year old may like creating her own page from the beginning! And if you are going to put them in albums, there are 8.5 x 11 albums if you don't have a 12x12 printer. So you could do letter size and still be able for them to have their own show off albums.

If you look in my gallery here, most of my stuff is hybrid and will give you some ideas on how to use digital elements. You can add twine, ribbon, doilies, buttons, beads, etc that you may have laying around to give them something extra to put on the pages also.

Let me know if you have any questions!!!! Yay!!!

AJK, bellbird and DisneyMom like this.
  8. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

That's awesome! My older boys, 6 and 4, recently asked to scrapbook as well so I got out my old physical scrapping supplies. I let them pick pictures to print and then on a 12x12 paper I did a very light sketch in pencil of where to put the photos, embellishments, etc. Without the template they get frustrated that it doesn't look like mine.

9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Mine were happy to just to put stickers everywhere and draw on it with texta in the past too - oh and those punches that were 'big' back in the day? Yep they punched and used all the scalloped edge scissors and stuff and just glued everything on (it became a lot more about art than the photo and was a phase that didn't last long) so i'd just say give them some stuff from your stash and see what they do with it before you make any concrete album plans or investment!
    If there's a particular sticker they brought you that they are keen to use or use as an inspiration point, that's probably a good place to start in terms of picking photos (although looking at this now, you're post is about a day and a half ago so did they make something or make headway? And how did it go?)

DisneyMom likes this.
  10. DisneyMom

Nothing yet, Coming up on a long weekend here so it's the project they both want to work on during their day off from school. Lol

KatrinaHunt13 likes this.
  11. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

How fun! Lots of great advice here! I agree it depends on what they want - their personalities.

I would just print photos to start to save money. Use your yardstick that you have on hand and their disney stickers. And then depending on that ... you can get into digi kits and printing - you could use tape runners to secure the printed digi kits (they have permanent and removable that are pretty easy for little ones to use). Or you could print on sticker paper and let them cut them out (or you cut them out) and then they can just stick them on.

I miss my kids being this age and wanting to scrap along with mom. Have fun on your long weekend!

12. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Pocket style hybrid might be the easiest and least overwhelming way to start hybrid scrapping.

We all have a million and one journal/filler cards that we can print off at home using either photo paper or a thicker printer paper like this Georgia Pacific 110# that can be picked up at your local Walmart for about $5.50 a ream. You can even let them design their own cards to print using your digi stash.

I haven't been to a Tuesday Morning in a long time, but when I was going on a regular basis they always had Project Life style protectors for $1.99-$2.99 for 12. They have a whole scrapbooking isle filled with stickers, Thickers etc.

Glue dots in various sizes, 3D glue dots and foam pop dots will be their BFF when it comes to adhering embellishments down when you don't want them completely flat. Don't throw away the negatives from the the foam dots, cut them up and use them too!

A Smashbook using a composition book might be another option to look into.

Travelers Notebooks might be another option; they have fairly inexpensive ones at Michael's. You can make your own inserts (I don't sew or staple the inserts I make b/c the bands keep them in).

KatrinaHunt13 likes this.
  13. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I chime in with those saying ask the kids, and that pocket page might be a fun beginning. Though with little-r ones, that might be too big a challenge due to small motor skill issues. My grands (2 & 4) Love it when I bring out paper and a basket ( dollar tree) of supplies and let them choose. Printing the photos is about all I have to do once the basket has stuff...