How to use clipping masks - Summer School Week 3

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Jul 17, 2016.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

A clipping mask is when you take two layers and clip them together to create a mask. Most of the time, we use clipping masks on our layouts to confine a photo or paper within an opening, whether that opening is from a template, or just a square we've made.

Here are the basic steps for creating clipping masks:

1. Open your template or blank layout in Photoshop. Make sure the layers palette is visible. Click on the layer you want to add a paper to. Here, I’m using the freebie template from the July Template Challenge. You can grab it HERE

[​IMG]clipping1 by farrahj, on Flickr

2. Drag your paper onto your layout and make sure to position it above the layer with the shape you want the paper clipped to.

[​IMG]clipping2 by farrahj, on Flickr

3. Click on Layer -> Create Clipping Mask.

[​IMG]clipping3 by farrahj, on Flickr

4. Repeat the process for each shape you want to insert a photo/paper into.

[​IMG]07.04.2015-BBQ by farrahj, on Flickr

NOTE: Clipping masks can also be used to add paper or patterns to text, custom shapes, or even to change colors of elements.

mirjam, Ga_L and cfile like this.
  2. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

very easy to use. I love this function with photoshop. but with the GIMP, this function desn't exist and is really missing...

3. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Clipping was what had me in tears 8+ years ago since I didn't see a tutorial on what it was I was supposed to click to make that clipping! Now I almost always use the shortcut CMD G (CNTRL G on a PC) to clip the top item to the bottom one. For Pocket Scrapping, that gets used a lot!

FarrahJobling likes this.
  4. mirjam

mirjam mirjam

Great tutorial Farrah and I LOVE your page! And thanks also for sharing that shortcut Maureen @cookingmylife! I loooove shortcuts!