How many days of school left |Pad Patter 5.25

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, May 25, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

We are homeschooling, and will be working on reading all summer. But I think we are going to finish regular school the same time as our public school friends- June 8th. We may start up in July though! No point to having free 100+ F degree days and having school on beautiful fall 70+ F degree days!

My siblings in Utah are done tomorrow (Friday, May 25).

When are you done school for the year? Are you ready to be done? Or do you wish it went longer?

2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I love my kids but summer is too long. (That's from an academic standpoint: they lose so much over the summer.) My son graduates preschool next Friday. He's so excited for kindergarten that I worry summer is going to feel long for him. He's already asked "so I graduate Friday. That means kindergarten starts on Monday, right?" *sigh*

bbymks5 and keepscrappin like this.
  3. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Oh man... I love summer. If only there was a plug to keep all the information in! I relish the lazier days, no homework (besides reading), no frustrations of project or the like! I love being able to fly by the seat of our pants more. :)

We finish June 22. So.... 2 half days, and 18 full days. Approx 40,320 minutes, :giggle

bbymks5, Karen, bestcee and 2 others like this.
  4. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

My 5th grader has 5 days left - finishes June 2nd. And my Junior has 3 days - finishes May 31st. It doesn't seem fair that the high school gets out 2 days earlier. On paper they don't, but the teachers and administration tell them not to come to school those last 2 days because it's just practices for graduation. Plus I think the teachers want peace and quiet to clean out their rooms for the summer. Too bad the elementary school and junior high teachers don't get the same benefit.

I think I'm ready for summer. I want the lazier days, but come the end of July, I'm sure I'll be wanting school to start again. By then August 23rd won't come soon enough... hehe

bbymks5 likes this.
  5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

My college son finished about 3 weeks ago. DD finished her outside classes 2 weeks ago, but still has work for me to finish: Algebra and US History. That will continue through out the summer until she gets it done. Ah, the joys (or not) of homeschooling. So I have been in Summer mode for about 3 weeks now.

bbymks5 and bestcee like this.
  6. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

10 more days here...June 9th is the last day.

7. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Olivia has finished already (and did I mention that she made the President's List AGAIN???? That kid amazes me!). Daniel will be out on June 2nd.

He is off on Monday for Memorial Day . . . so he'll have 2 regular school days, 2 semester exam days and then the final day of school. He is SOOOO ready. I am, too. We both love to stay up late and sleep in, although I did tell him that we will go to bed at midnight . . . that's late enough for weekdays with occasional later nights on the weekends. Otherwise, we'll stay awake all night and sleep all day. LOL

bbymks5, Juliestcyr, jesskab and 5 others like this.
  8. sabrinavc

sabrinavc Designer

Our kids finish school on June 30 and than we have 2 months summer vacation and we are going to start vacation already at the last of school, going away for a week to The Netherlands :)

bbymks5, keepscrappin and bestcee like this.
  9. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Clara, a freshman in Catholic school, ends June 2nd. Alex, a junior in public school, ends June 20th. She'll start back 8/17 and he'll go back 9/5. Makes for a short summer for our family.

bbymks5, keepscrappin and bestcee like this.
  10. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

My daughter graduated from seminary with an M.Div last weekend. That's it. No more kids in school for me. Also my kids don't even live with me anymore! The college that I work at has College for Kids in July so although, I'm not directly involved in the program, I'll get to see a bunch of kids running around campus which is always fun and nostalgic for me. My son started going to College for Kids at the same campus 21 years ago! I told someone in the Continuing Education office that he went that long ago...she just stared at me for a moment and I realized that she may not even be 21 years old!

11. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

My DS got home from college last night. Courtney's last day of regular class is tomorrow and she has finals next week and graduates on Friday. :(

keepscrappin likes this.
  12. bestcee

The public kids here get a short summer this year. They are moving the calendar so that the semester ends before Christmas break. So they get out June 8th, and go back August 14th - 67 days, or 9 weeks. Next year, they get out May 24th.

What's wrong with that? It's cooler at night?

Hugs to you! I know you have and haven't been looking forward to her graduating.

enjoyyourpix and gonewiththewind like this.
  13. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

OMG, that makes soooo much more sense. Even when I was in school I thought "Why the heck do we have winter break and then finish up the semester? Isn't it just easier to end the semester the same day we start break?" Gosh, I guess I've always been someone who 1. questions authority and 2. likes a clean end to things. ;)

14. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Clara's school does this and it was so nice for her to have an actual break at Christmas. Alex's school's first semester didn't end until three weeks into January. His school banned teachers from assigning projects over the break, but he knew he still had to study with finals coming up. Wasn't quite the same break that Clara had.

bestcee and keepscrappin like this.
  15. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

There's nothing WRONG with it. We just don't go anywhere at night during the week because hubby goes to bed early for work. Midnight is a reasonable time, I think, to allow for staying up late and then still sleeping in . . .

bestcee likes this.
  16. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

My husband doesn't get a summer break from school this year. His medical school schedule is such that he goes straight from 3rd year to 4th year (and the last year he will ever be in school!) in June. Last year he got a grand total of 2 weeks off in the summer, so it wasn't much better! But this fall/winter he will have two month-long blocks off for residency interviews, so he'll get some downtime then.

17. bestcee

Are you doing the happy dance yet?

18. bestcee

I'm just teasing you! We actually noticed a lot of kids come out to the park between 7pm-9pm around here once the heat hits 100.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  19. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Both my boys go until June 9th and it can't come fast enough for any of us. May is always jam packed with all the year end stuff and we all need a break! I love that they get some downtime and can stay up late and sleep in and enjoy free time. It's a rarity around here while school's happening.

bestcee and bbymks5 like this.
  20. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Last regular day of classes is June 12th ... and then testing begins. The last day of state testing is June 22nd ... during the 8 days of testing I believe my kids each have 3 exams - so they will only be there for about 2-3 hours on 3 of those days. But the stress of studying/prepping for the exams ... ugh. I hate this time of year! :(

bbymks5 likes this.