High School Musicals | Pad Patter 3.16.18

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jenevang, Mar 16, 2018.

1. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

OK, I'm sure I bring this up every year at this time, but it's Musical season! I'm choreographing my kids' Broadway Production of Beauty and the Beast and it is so fun! And so exhausting.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow is dress rehearsal and next week is SHOWTIME. I have one son who is Gaston, a daughter who is a Silly Girl and my youngest is a fork :giggle

So... does anyone else have musicals going on right now?
    Have you seen any lately?
    Where you in YOUR high school productions?

As always, bonus points for photos!

Sara and ElizabethW like this.
  2. AliSarah

AliSarah Oh great. Now I have pixie dust in my hair!

Aww... my daughter was a fork back in the day!! Last month, she presented her Senior Recital in partial fulfillment of the requirements to earn a BM from CSULA!!

I don't have any good pictures on my computer, BUT here's a you tube of her playing Adele in Deflater Mouse (that is so spelled wrong, LOL...) ETA: This was the production at the end of last year at Cal State LA...

Huggles!!
    ~Sarah~

AJK and wvsandy like this.
  3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

My DD is in her school's musical but it's elementary, not high school. And it's definitely a musical that no one has heard of. (This isn't a slight to the musical or her school: it's just the truth lol!). No pics as it isn't staged until May. I said I'd volunteer to help but I haven't been asked yet. I'm assuming I'll be asked to help with costumes and helping on the actual performance days. I can't imagine choreographing it. That's a huge job--good for you! And it's great that your kids are a part of the show, too! Break a leg!

As for me, in high school I was in the Shakespeare plays but not the musicals. While my singing voice isn't horrible, it wasn't nearly as good as some other students' voices. There were some truly gifted singers in my school. I was definitely not one of them!

4. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

My DD was Ariel in The Little Mermaid Jr last Fall. She was the cutest lil' mermaid. She was so happy that she didn't have to wear a wig. Her long redhair was perfect for the part. Right now she's practicing her narrator part for Aladdin Jr coming up in May. She is loving this acting thing and I'm so glad she's found something she loves and is really good at.

Iowan likes this.
  5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I hardly had any stage opportunities in my schooling. I probably would have been too shy to try anyway.

My daughters have been in many musicals with their homeschool drama club though: Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, You're A Great Man Charlie Brown, Annie, etc. I usually help with the flyers, programs, and recording the performances. I love having actresses in the family. :love

edited to add photos I almost forgot:

Here's a scene from Bye Bye Birdie. My older daughter is the one with the pink shirt and white sweater closest the camera.
    [​IMG]

In the same play, my younger daughter had the leading role (pink floral dress).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Sara, ElizabethW and wvsandy like this.
  6. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

It's concert season for us at the moment.

7. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Be still my heart!!! This has been great to read. I am a Thespian, and high school musicals were the highlight of each year for me. We did "Oklahoma", "South Pacific", "Camelot" and "Oliver!" I STILL have the scrapbook (old school paper) of these. Love reading about what kids are doing NOW!

8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Loved reading all of your answers. I was never in a musical, but I was a dancer and was in a group that traveled with our high school jazz band. I was always into ballet. My girls were both singers and had a lot of awesome programs but were never in a real musical either. We always loved going to the ballet. My parents were both Madrigals and were in lots of musicals and programs when they were in high school. They sang semi professionally most of their lives, so I have always been surrounded by music and dancing.

9. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I was stage manager for my HS plays though we never had musicals. Girls HS in the late 50s-61. Maybe I just like to boss people around??? I was also the wardrobe director for the Bangkok Opera Society's production of Amahl and the Night Visitors. None of my children were ever in musicals either.

I'm just thinking that I really don't like musicals even Broadway or London level productions though my mother dragged me to many as DC used to be the tryout place before Broadway. Give me a serious drama any day.

10. ElizabethW

ElizabethW Pledging to lambda lambda polly

Oh, YES!! High school musicals are HUGE in our little town - we were lucky enough to receive a generous endowment years ago, and it is a big thing! Our littlest, Ada, got to be Gretl in the Sound of Music a few years ago, and she's been hooked ever since:
    [​IMG]_DSC3292.jpg by Elizabeth Woodford, on Flickr
    Then, she was "Snow Child #7" (I think) in Carousel:
    [​IMG]
    (Which, coincidentally, was the first page I ever posted here!)

This year, they're doing Addams Family, and she is an "ancestor" - just part of the ensemble, but she is happy just to be a part of it. The musical kids are such awesome role models for her. And, our 9th grader will be in the pit orchestra for the first time ever!

Can't wait to see some spring musical pages!

Sara likes this.
  11. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I would have rather died than have people look at me on a stage when I was in high school. :giggle

My children are certainly melodramatic but no acting yet. I loooooooooove musicals so if either of them shows a flair or interest in it, I will certainly help them move in that direction.

I did watch all the musicals performed at my high school when I was a HS student. That's where I saw "Guys & Dolls" for the first time.

12. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

I'm going to see a local high school do Hunchback of Notre Dame next month (super excited). It's Freddy Award season (the local high school equivalent to the Tony's). The competition is insane. I remember back when I was in high school performing on the show. So much fun.