Heidi Swapp Minc Machine

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by JillW, Jan 23, 2017.

1. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

Last year on a whim (and because they were on clearance) I picked up a Minc machine. I had high hopes and had all kinds of projects swimming in my head ... but ... when I got home I realized the foil only works if something has been printed with a toner (versus ink). Not to be discouraged, I bought a Canon laser printer from Amazon for < $100. I used it a ton when I first got it - mainly to make planner dividers (using the foil to make them pretty, then using the machine to laminate the dividers. But - it's just been setting on the shelf for nearly a year now - and I have all kinds of beautiful foil taking up space too.

I have an urge to get it out of hiding and use it soon - does anyone else have one? What have you made with it?

I'm thinking w/ Valentine's day coming up I might make some valentines ... we'll see.

2. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

JillW likes this.
  3. JillW

4. _scrapaholic_

_scrapaholic_ Well-Known Member

I love my minc even though I don't use it as often as I thought I would. I have silhouette too, so I mainly use it together with the print & cut feature. Titles, embelishments, pl cards, alphas .. anything that is black & white. Did you take a look at heidi swapp's blog? she always presents nice home decor stuff she does with the minc.

here are some valentine cards from her creative team: http://www.jamiepate.com/2016/02/valentines-cards-minc.html

5. JillW

@_scrapaholic_ - wow! I love the cards that she has featured there now - definitely something I want to make!!! Thank you for sharing!! It should be pretty easy with my Silhouette! Yea!

_scrapaholic_ likes this.
  6. sucali

sucali sucali

I didn't buy it because of the laser printer which is needed...
    But I love the results, everything looks so beautiful...maybe you can show us some pictures Jill?:beat
    I have a Silhouette Portrait here which sits on my shelf...I didn't have/spent the time to really learn how it works and my first print and cut results were horrible...

7. JillW

@sucali - I have had a Silhouette for several years and was really intimidated with it until I spent hours watching videos online - it definitely takes a little practice - but it's so versatile!
    I will show pictures :-) I have some ideas running through my head after seeing the Valentine's on Heidi's blog from last year - I'm sure I'll come up with my own version!

8. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

Hey there! Jumping in a little late on this. I am on ThermOWeb's team and we have the DecoFoil which is basically the same concept. So I have done a lot with foil! LOL

Also, if you don't have a Minc machine, a laminator works just the same. You just need to make sure it's hot. I usually leave mine on for about 20 minutes before running anything thru it.

Let me know if you have any questions!! @JillW

9. AllisonPennington

AllisonPennington Queen of the Realm

I use a laminator, too! Amazon's Basic Laminator has been my favorite and at $20 (versus $60, give or take, for the Minc) you can't beat it. I also leave mine warming up for 20/30 minutes and use just plain, crappy printer paper over the top instead of a laminating folder. I've been playing alot with clear transfer "foil" lately. I love being able to make just certain details stand out with a little bit of shine. :)