Health update...sort of

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by littlekiwi, May 8, 2018.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

About six weeks ago you may have seen me say that my mum had to go to the after hours dr because she was feeling off. The dr there did an ECG and said it was most likely a heart issue, have two days off work but see our dr asap which she did. Her dr the following week referred her "urgently" to the public hospital cardiology department in view of a) her symptoms b) her age and c) our family history of cardiac issues (my grandad died after a sudden heart attack, my uncle has had two stent procedures and three generations of females all have high cholesterol problems). The appointment at the hospital was today - she had further tests, another ECG and an ultrasound. The dr did confirm it was a heart valve issue but no further decisions were made today The plan is the cardiologist will look at todays results and previous results to compare them all over the next week or so with another appointment with the cardiology team within the month. So with all that said.....its really business as usual around here which is kind of disappointing because my mums quality of life is non existent right now and all she is doing is working and sleeping because the fatigue is so bad - we haven't even had our day out for her birthday that was at the end of March because she just can't manage it at the moment.

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Ah, man! I was hoping for better news. Maybe it'll be coming soon?

Until then, maybe a kiss will cheer you up!

[​IMG]

littlekiwi likes this.
  3. littlekiwi

Believe me. I was hoping for better news too

4. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I hope she finds relief soon!

tiny kiss for Bart :heartlub

littlekiwi likes this.
  5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I was hoping for better news as well...at least a better plan of action. I sure hope she gets some relief soon!!

littlekiwi likes this.
  6. fanon

fanon Well-Known Member

I hope too she finds relief soon!

7. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Jennifer @littlekiwi Continued Prayers for your Mom.

I will tell you my Aunt (who is like my Mom, as I lost my Mom 28 years ago and it is her sister) anyway, 3 years ago at the age of 83 (she will be 86 in December) she had to have the valve replacement surgery done. She is doing well, although now she is tired alot as she is older and basically having issues as she has macular degeneration so is basically blind as she can only see shadows, so she has gotten depressed with that, but as far as her heart valve, all of that is still perfect.

So all of that to say, I will keep your Mom in my prayers that they get everything sorted for your Mom and if she needs surgery, that it will all work out for her :) Keep positive thoughts Jennifer!!

8. littlekiwi

@cfile, my mum is only 61 and honestly by looking at her you’d think she’s super healthy.

cfile likes this.
  9. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I know.. the valve thing you can't "see" it... Hugs my dear.. at 61 she is at a great age (she is only 4 years older than me :) ) I was just trying to say my Aunt was 83 and had the surgery and did great. Keeping your Mom in my prayers. Please let us know what they decide to do. Hugs.

littlekiwi likes this.
  10. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

aww, hugs jennifer. i hope you get some answers too so you can take your mom out for a nice bday celebration and she can enjoy herself again. warm hugs ... these things are so hard!

cfile likes this.
  11. littlekiwi

The rate the public health system goes here I’m thinking it’s probably going to be a celebration for both of our birthdays if we are lucky.

12. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I'm sorry she doesn't have a more concrete plan of action yet. That has to be frustrating! But hopefully the tests show what's going on and something can be done soon asap. It's not fun for her to feel so exhausted all the time!

13. littlekiwi

She’s got a diagnosis - we’ve pretty much had that from day 1, it’s just having more tests, comparing all the results and firming up a treatment plan are the next steps. We were just hoping to be a bit further along in the process after today.

14. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Sorry, I didn't mean there wasn't a diagnosis. I meant that I hope these most recent tests help speed up the doctors' procedures on their end (so they can decide if she needs to have surgery or meds or whatever she needs to feel better) because a diagnosis alone doesn't help her. :( It's difficult when the doctors seem to be taking their time!

littlekiwi likes this.
  15. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Sorry that your mom is facing this challenge. I hope she is able to get some answers about treatment soon.

16. LynnG

LynnG Designer

That is so worryingly for both of you, and so frustrating to be in limbo. xxx

PS going through a similar thing with my mum too at the moment, although she is a lot older than your mum. But I am sure that once treatment gets underway your mum will do so well

littlekiwi, cfile and fanon like this.
  17. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

@littlekiwi I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Sending hugs.

fanon likes this.
  18. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

So sorry to hear this. Keeping you and your mum in my thoughts.

19. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

You’re being an amazing daughter and support for her, Jennifer. Be sure to take care of yourself too. Keeping both of you in my daily prayers. Lots of love! @littlekiwi

20. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

My father had a valve replaced in 2002 at the age of 73. It was a pig's valve and the life of those are approximately 10 years. His lasted 13 years. His last checkup after returning from FL in March of 2016, he was doing great and there were no issues with the valve. But, God had other plans for him in June. He had a heart attack and even though the echocardiogram results were OK, the doctor wanted to do a heart cath to see more of the valve. He had a 2nd heart attack before that could happen and passed away. Up until he had the heart attack (cardiac issues in his family as well), he was very active, even walking on a treadmill every morning and a walk in the neighborhood in the evenings. He lived a very full life after that surgery.

So hang in there and think good thoughts because statistics are on the side of her having many more good years.