Have you seen any good movies lately? | Pad Patter 1.12.18

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jenevang, Jan 12, 2018.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Let's see, Tuesday's here are discount day, so we can hit a movie for $5.50 each. We don't do snacks, or popcorn at the theater.

The last one we saw was Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. It was pretty fun. I loved the throwback to the original without being a copycat.
    We also saw Star Wars, and Thor. And we caught the classic series and saw The Princess Bride in November on the big screen! We'll go see Black Panther too. We always see the Avengers movies, X-men movies, and Star Wars movies in the theater.

@Tangie Baxter said The Greatest Showman was really good too. I'm a Hugh Jackman fan, so I'm thinking I might convince DH we need a date morning!

2. Tangie Baxter

Tangie Baxter She will be our squishy + we will call her Tangie

Thanks for tagging me @bestcee

We go to see a move about once a month if there is a good one, sometimes more and sometimes months without seeing one. I'm pretty weird and very careful about what I put in my noggin, having a visual memory it's very hard to get stuff out! Anyone have this problem?

But I recently went to see The Greatest Showman, I about died when I saw it was only PG! I may have screamed a little out loud because I couldn't believe it was a musical and a family film, I was sooooo excited!!!

I've been 4 times and I'm going again tonight, the theaters by our house are only $5 for matinees and I got a gift card for Christmas (perfect timing). Everyone that I've seen it with LOVED it and if they went again with me for the second time they loved it, even more, the second time (because you know how it's going to go, I don't want to say too much). Anyway, I LOVED it with all my heart and have the soundtrack on repeat all day every day the last week. The acting was INCREDIBLE! And if you are a visual person like me just the costumes and scenery will take your breath away. The story was perfect and really is a "celebration of humanity" to quote a certain character in the movie.

I've created about 20+ pieces of mixed-media and digital art, you could say I'm obsessed :P

Edited: I also gotta say if you want to see it, it's worth every penny to see it on the BIG screen, BIG sound system.

bestcee and Neverland Scraps like this.
  3. Neverland Scraps

Neverland Scraps Always trust, never doubt

We don't have cable tv, so I have no idea what's in the theaters! :D

I did hear about The Greatest Showman last week and might go see that this week. Otherwise I'll wait for it to come to Redbox or Netflix.

Last good movie . . . .
    We saw the new Jumanji on Christmas Eve (Tradition), it was terrible. The original was MUCH better!

My husband, oldest and youngest saw the new Star Wars movie--just like you, I can't either so I'll wait until that comes out and we buy the dvd for the oldest.

The kids and my husband saw It whenever that came out. I didn't see it. Hate clowns, hate scary movies!

Sadly, I don't know what the last movie was that I saw that wasn't part of a family tradition! :D

4. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I’m finally seeing Wonder on Monday, think I’ll really enjoy it as I had a facial disfigurement from birth. After that thinking of seeing The Greatest Showman & maybe Pitch Perfect 3 over the next few weeks depending on budget

KatrinaHunt13, LynnG and bestcee like this.
  5. Tangie Baxter

Tangie Baxter She will be our squishy + we will call her Tangie

Wonder is such a great one!! I loved it!

littlekiwi likes this.
  6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Oh, I bawled. DH cried, my mom and dad cried, DS got teary-eyed... and DD sat there and said "I don't get it." Uh, what?! This may be a spoiler, so I'm going to post it in white (highlight this space and you'll see it): Later she said "I don't understand: he wants to be a musician. What's the the big deal? He should just BE A MUSICIAN." She totally didn't understand why he would listen to his family when they said "No music," which then made the whole "having to go to the underworld" thing confusing--even though that was related to the guitar. And I'm trying hard not to spoil the movie!
    Anyway, I agree it was a great movie, and it gave me some insight into how my DD views familial responsibility. :eyeroll

And that is the last movie I saw in the theater. Before that, it was The Other Woman...which came out in 2014.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  7. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

This is the beginning of "movie season" for us as we try to get in as many Oscar nominated movies as possible before the Academy Awards.

We did see The Greatest Showman together over Christmas (I hate to say it, but we didn't love it), my son saw The Post last week and my husband and I are going to see Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri on Monday. I need to find an updated predictions list so we can start making our way through the movies. One I was just looking at listed several movies that we had already seen like The Big Sick, Dunkirk and Wonder Woman. I would really like to see Lady Bird and I might go see I, Tonya as well.

bestcee likes this.
  8. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I don't go see movies in the theater often because I don't want to pay the high price and am happy to wait until it comes out on Netflix and watch it in the comfort of my own home.

But my daughters and husband love to go to the theater and go more often. All 3 of my kids and my husband went to see Jumanji earlier this week while we were in San Diego, while I visited with my parents some more. (Scanned some old family photos!) They were disappointed by the movie.

9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I love that you do that! What a neat tradition.

tkradtke likes this.
  10. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

We only go to the movies two or three times a year. Right now Star Wars is on DH's list but we haven't managed to get there yet. Hopefully this coming week.
    I went to see The Darkest Hour with my mom a couple of weeks ago. It was incredible!!!! Gary Oldman really ought to win best actor for his role as Churchill!

11. iciclelady

iciclelady Active Member

We see maybe 2-3 movies a year in the theatre - otherwise, we're Netflixers or stream through our local library. The library's Hoopla and Kanopy services are awesome - so many great movies to watch!

Edited to add: my colleague told me about this book 101 Movies to See Before You Grow Up - there are some great ones to watch with the whole family and I like the "challenge" aspect of it. :)

12. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

We maybe go to the theater once a year...but lately some of the fam has gone a lot. Usually never together since we have such a big range of kids.

I took some of the littles to see The Star back in December. It was a few of my kids first movie in the theater. It was such an exciting experience for them. My 4 year old was literally sitting on the edge of his seat the entire time. He would turn and hug me every time something exciting happened. My 3 year old just wanted to sit on my lap and eat popcorn.

Then my hubby took some of the older kids to see Star Wars.

And then my sister took a couple of my older girls to see the Greatest Showman. I'm tempted to go see it myself...but seeing movies in movie theaters is just not something I like to do.

Last weekend my hubby tried to take the kids to see Ferdinand (since it was FREEZING outside & there wasn't much else to do - and Mama needed a break!) but it was sold out....guess everyone else had the same idea.

So...it's so weird that we've went to this many movies in the last month. We probably won't go again until next year. LOL! We've met our quota for like 3 years.

13. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I decided to grab the Glass Castle from Redbox last night even after not being able to get into the book (will try again) and hubby and I both liked it; now that may change if I can get through the book.

janedee likes this.
  14. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I am going to be kid-free (and husband-free) in two weekends and I plan on seeing 'Pitch Perfect 3' and 'The Greatest Showman' then! I CAN'T WAIT!!! :beat:beat:beat:beat:beat

15. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

It was great! Both my husband & I enjoyed it as much as the kids! :)

16. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

We don’t often go to the movies, preferring to watch at home on our big screen. The last I saw was Wonder Woman. I want to see Wonder but will wait to see at home.

17. Jems

Jems Well-Known Member

since having our son we have only seen children's movies in the cinema

I have on my list to see
    star wars
    Pitch Perfect 3
    the Greatest showman
    only the brave
    miracles from Heaven
    Wonder

I think we will go to the cinema to see Ferdinand, where we live its a tiny cinema that hasn't been done up in 50 years so its nice and cheap :)

18. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

DD and I saw CoCo during Thanksgiving Break. DS and I saw Star Wars when he got home for Xmas break. My neighbor and I saw Bad Moms Christmas recently. On Xmas day, DD and I saw Pitch Perfect 2. Today we saw Paddington Bear 2.

There are several out that I do want to see. I'll need to see if I can get someone to go with me now that the kids are back to college now.

19. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

We rarely go to the movies but saw The Post recently which we loved. Darkest Hour also looks quite interesting and we may go to see that one too.

20. scrappydonna

scrappydonna Blah blah blah

I love going to the movies back home... but here, can't. Because there are NO movie houses here, it's banned. But they said there will be soon (in larger cities only). So, I've never been into a movie house for almost 10 years now :giggle Anyways, I just check the local cable if they have a new movie I'd like to watch... and that also has been months now I forgot the movie I watched haha! :giggle