google drive

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by zanthia, Apr 24, 2018.

1. zanthia

zanthia CT - Kate Hadfield

not sure if this is right forum

I have major problems downloading form google drive of late. tried 2 different browsers.
    on firefox it says failed and on chrome i get failed network error. I cannot find any solution to this. I can download from dropbox with no problems

can anyone help - couple designers i ct for use google drive and cannot get their kits easily

2. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I use Google Drive a lot, but haven't run in to this issue (yet). Sorry you're having so much trouble. Have you tried disabling extensions in your browser? Sometimes those don't play well with other things. That's just the first thing that popped in my head. I'll come back if I think of something else.

3. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I got an email recently that they changed some things - I think they disabled something with the desktop auto backup? Maybe that has something to do with it? Are you trying to download from your PC ... maybe search for desktop google photos and read the latest news on what they truned off/are no longer supporting? I'm sorry I can't remember better than that what the details were ... I've been too busy to really pay attention.

4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Are you on Windows? and is it giving you an Error message?

5. zanthia

yes i am on windows - win 7 . my pc which is desktop is old over 5 years old

tried a 3rd browser that i installed and havent used in ages - downloaded one file then next one would not download.

it just says file failed except in chrome it says Failed - Network error

if i run ccleaner i can get 1 file downloaded , next one gets error. rebooting pc does not help.

have not installed any new extensions on FF and dont know where they are located in chrome. opera hasnt been used in years so any extensions that may have been installed there would be so old plus there too dont knows where they are located

i wonder if they made it incompatible with win 7 as this is only recently been having issues

6. jk703

I found a couple posts that might be helpful. I'm not sure though, I don't usually use Google Docs for CT items. Can you remove/uninstall Google Docs, and re-install? From reading, it may also be if you have multiple accounts. Maybe logging in and out of everything, and then trying again? Could there be a problem with the size of the file that you are downloading? I think there is a limit, and maybe that is causing issues.

https://www.gtricks.com/android/guide-to-fix-android-network-error-please-try-again-later-error/
    https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/drive/S-plxiJV3vk

7. zanthia

i do not use google docs , my problem is with google drive. the designer uses it to up load her kit and the ct downloads the files from there.

thank you for the links but the first link is for phones not a desktop . as i do not have a phone all that is greek to me.

the second one while not the same problem was a little more useful . i have emptied cache, cookies etc. the download works once and then cant do a second one. so i empty cache again and it will not download

I have no problems downloading from dropbox which most of the designers I ct for use.

8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

@zanthia I'm still thinking. Have you tried saving the files to your Google Drive and then downloading from there?

9. jk703

Google Drive is a part of the G Suite - Google Suite - which is Drive, Docs, Calendar, Mail, etc. So the same possible troubleshooting paths might've helped...

But as I dug further into the Google results I found out that Google Drive was being replaced with BackUp and Sync. Then Google Drive was to stop working altogether on 3/12/18. That might have been when you started having problems but it wasn't as noticable. It doesn't appear to be a supported function anymore. Here are two articles about the change.
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/322...placed-by-backup-and-sync-what-to-expect.html
    https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/07/g...e-google-drive-desktop-app-for-g-suite-users/

At this point, you should present your problem to the designer, you may not be the only one with the issue, as she should be looking to be using another way to collaborate files.

Dropbox is still working - you won't have issues with that method.

10. zanthia

thank you jenn - i will mention this to my designer. hopefully she will understand as her english is not very good. I was not aware that google drive was being discontinued.

11. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

fwiw, my Google Drive is fine as is my husband's. I guess you @zanthia may have been one of the earliest ones updates/changed.

12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

That's so weird! I didn't know it was being discontinued. Mine is still working too.

13. bestcee

14. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

15. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

You mean the Google Drive desktop applications, right? Not Google Drive itself. The cloud/web based Google Drive should be working the same as before, if I'm reading those articles right.

I didn't know that it was getting discontinued either and that makes me sad because that's how I get files between my two computers (old laptop and new desktop) -- I just drop the files into the Google Drive app and let them sync on their own. It's a little more work (not much) to do it through the browser.

16. MiekSter

MiekSter We only regret the chances we didn't take

17. fanon

fanon Well-Known Member

18. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

How strange. I've been having this same issue with google photos since yesterday.

19. bestcee

Downloading from Google Photos?

20. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

Yes, but it seems it was a screenshot taken in Minecraft that was causing the error. When I exploded that file it suddenly downloaded fine again.

bestcee likes this.