Gel Nailpolish at Home?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Karen, May 17, 2018.

1. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Same here. I had just "had it" with acrylic nails. I love the freedom of gel nails!

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    NancyBeck likes this.
  2. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

I tried acrylic nails one time and they came off after about two weeks and I decided it wasn't going to be worth the hassle!

I am so NOT a mani/pedi girl. I don't show my toes in public unless I have to. Sandals don't feet my feet well to begin with, so there's that.

I ordered some Colorstreet strips this week just to try. I think they are like those Jamberry things?? Anyway, I thought I would give them a go! LOL

Karen likes this.
  3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I've done Jamberry a couple of times and liked those too, but I didn't love getting them back off again. I've never heard of Colorstreet strips... I'm interested to hear how you like those. :)

4. KatrinaHunt13

oh ekk...now I am scared! LOL

Karen likes this.
  5. Karen

Don’t worry... it’s way easier than getting the gel nail polish off! Just not quite as easy as regular nail polish.

KatrinaHunt13 likes this.
  6. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I had a roommate who had acrylic nails and her nail beds ended up badly damaged. This was almost 20 years ago though so hopefully the process is a lot better/safer.

7. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I use Jamberry sometimes and like them. They are easy to take off.

Karen and KatrinaHunt13 like this.
  8. KatrinaHunt13

Honestly, I NEVER do my nails. I don't know what i am thinking ordering these! LOL LOL

Karen likes this.
  9. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I rarely do mine, but if I do, I use Jamberry! They will last almost 3 weeks on my nails (I know it's not like that for everyone).

KatrinaHunt13 likes this.
  10. KatrinaHunt13

I may have to post a pic....or do a layout! LOL LOL

Karen likes this.
  11. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Okay... color me confused.

After following this thread for a while I decided to go get a manicure today (something I rarely do) and try gel. My salon had regular polish, gel and no-chip. I originally picked no-chip... but I panicked and thought that seemed like it was more like acrylics. I honestly don't know... you picked your color from swatches and that had the light. I switched to gel and it was a gel color and a special topcoat... but no light.

Is what your salon is calling gel more like the no-chip at my salon? Do different brands do gel differently? I did Essie gel today. I'm so confused. Also, if this helps... a regular mani is $15, gel is $20 and no-chip is $35.

cfile likes this.
  12. Karen

It kinda sounds like your salon's no-chip is probably what "I'm" calling gel... I could have the terminology wrong because my other friend that went with me called it shellac! Lol! All I know it that they painted the stuff on and put me under a UV light thingie and then in two minutes my nails where done and dry and I didn't have to worry about smudging them and it was as hard as rocks and super durable! I did awful things to my hands the few days right after my manicure and I couldn't destroy them!

cfile likes this.
  13. redplaid3

redplaid3 Just call me Zaley's Grammy!

My friend just recommended OPI nail polish because it lasts so well and doesn't need the light. She also uses acetone to remove the polish. Pretty nails are a fun treat!

14. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

When I get mine done, it is called a Gel Shellac Manicure... they usually use Opi products and exactly what Karen says, it lasts for a long time. I get a French Gel Shellac so I only need to go oce a month. It is the more expensive cost generally, but so worth it I think. I have been getting it done for almost 7 years now.

15. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

Color Street is fun! You have to get the hang of application but they hold up really well.

Karen likes this.
  16. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

I go to the salon every 3 weeks for a gel-mani. I did acrylics for years but once I found gelish (the brand name the salon uses) I never turned back. Like Christa, I normally get a french manicure because you can't see the outgrowth, but this time I opted for color - not loving it - but it's there for 3 weeks! LOL!

Because I had been sick, I missed my 3 week appointment last time (I went Tuesday of this week - but before that I missed my appointment) and gosh! - my nails were awful! When that happens I take off the gel before my next appointment, because I think that nothing on my nails looks better than gelish that is SO grown out ... I picked this up from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XR4WSH5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - they worked perfectly! I had to let my nails soak with polish remover on them for about 15 minutes, but then the polish came right off.

Good luck in your venture of doing them at home - I'll be anxious to hear if you decide to do it - and how they come out!!

Karen likes this.