Friends Don't Let Friend's Fonts Float!!

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by AnneofAlamo, Jul 17, 2013.

1. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

You are so welcome my dear!!!

klee73010 likes this.
  2. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

this is my favourite font aide Christa!!

[​IMG]

3. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

4. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

Won't work on a Mac? The download gives me an empty file.

5. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

oh no? @cfile I'm mac-challenged...? anyone else?

cfile likes this.
  6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Maybe @jk703 ? I believe she's a MAC scrapper?

7. cfile

:( I don't have a Mac so I am not sure how to convert the style... How would I do that?

8. cfile

@AnneofAlamo I too am Mac challenged.. I know some of the designers like Val (LBW) save things for Mac too... Maybe we can have one of them resale the style for Mac use?

9. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Hey Sharon - I'm on a Mac and just tested it ... it works fine for me. I will say the file looks "empty" ... (all white) - but don't mind that. It *should* still work. Remember it is an .asl file which works within the Styles Palette. It is not an Action file. Are you going to the styles palette ... selecting the three little lines (top right corner) to open the dialogue box? You would then select Load Styles > and locate the file. It should appear last in the Styles Palette. First, test it on a simple black colored line of text ... on a lighter background.

*fingers crossed for you!!*

bestcee, cfile and jk703 like this.
  10. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Thanks for thinking of me, Courtney! @bestcee
    Thanks for answering so quick, Jenn! Now, I know, too! I would have had to test it out, and I'm at work at the moment. :) @jenn mccabe

bestcee and jenn mccabe like this.
  11. cfile

Thanks @jenn mccabe Jenn for coming to the rescue !!! I did not even think of it as not "showing like an element would upon downloading. " Xo

bestcee and jenn mccabe like this.
  12. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

Thank you! I've been away from the computer for too long. I forgot about "loading" & now it works!

cfile and jenn mccabe like this.
  13. cfile

@sbpoet I am so glad Sharon!! :) Enjoy!!

14. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I go back and look at some of my earlier pages and those fonts are just floating away like they have little balloons attached. Added to that, I put shadows on some of them. Oh dear.

scrapsandsass and enjoyyourpix like this.
  15. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

it's okay, you are not accountable for those floats prior to knowing this...
    go
    and
    float
    no more!
    @Iowan

bestcee likes this.
  16. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

Delighted with this style & that I've (re)learned something useful. Another question: is there a away to save certain styles on my list (on a Mac)? All but the ones that come with PSCC vanish when I close out and reopen.

17. tam65

tam65 Break out the lawn mower!

Just found this link. Thank you.

18. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Weird. Windows saves them for me. Maybe there's a setting that has to be changed on MAC?
    @jk703 or @jenn mccabe (Sending out the MAC signal. It's like the bat signal, with an apple)

jenn mccabe likes this.
  19. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

:giggle

I don't know of a setting, but it sounds like your preferences aren't saving. Do other things change everytime you open PS?

You could save the ones you like as a group. On the top of the Styles Menu, you should see some small lines and an itty bitty triangle. Click on that and you can go into the Preset Manager. Once there, you can then delete, move, and change the styles list. Then you can save it. You could do this for different types of styles and then load as you need.

Let me know if that doesn't work, or you need an image or 2. :)

jenn mccabe and bestcee like this.
  20. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

LOL @bestcee ... I was out of range for the MAC signal this weekend.

@sbpoet usually if you see all your old styles going missing when adding a new style to your list it is because your are using Replace Styles instead of Load Styles. Load Styles should just add new styles to the bottom and Replace Styles should wipe out everything that is there and only show the ones you are currently adding. But it doesn't sound like that is your issue because you are saying it's only when you close and open PS.

I've been on different versions of PS (can't remember if CC or an older one ... where I feel like every time I close/open Photoshop - they go missing.) So I know what you mean. I would do what Jenn said and save them all as a preset... I would then drop that .asl file on my desktop so I could find it quickly and reload the whole group. I'm not having that problem anymore, but I did experience it, and it is very frustrating.

I also notice you have CC so there's another option. You now have cloud access and can store things in your "Library". So every time you open PS you have access "via the cloud" to your fave settings... which Adobe calls "design assets" or simply assets. Adobe has tutorials for how to make the most of using this awesome feature ... https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/how-to/creative-cloud-libraries.html

The Library is just another Palette available to you (like Actions, Styles). By default (on my workspace) it sits as a tab next to Adjustments and Styles. But if you don't see it, open it by going to Window> Library. It was created to help designers save and easily access commonly used design elements: 1) across multiple adobe products and 2) on different devices or to collaborate within teams. But I find it useful for scrapbooking. I see any new style I create show up there. So what I do is "resave" existing styles that are my faves so they will always show up there. I don't do it for every style but just for the top 10 or so that I use all the time. To resave Christa's No Float style, so it will show up in your Library: type your text, add the style and then open the Layer Style pop dialogue box - just as you would if you were creating your own drop shadow or tweaking an existing drop shadow. Go to NEW STYLE (on right hand side) and simply give it a NAME (Christa's No Float) and hit SAVE. You should see it in the Library Palette (as well as in the styles palette - you can trash the duplicate one in the styles palette and the one in the Library palette will remain.)

bestcee likes this.