Font challenged!

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Mar 17, 2018.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I have several questions here

I have tons of fonts not installed at all (only have the default ones installed), mostly handwriting type ones so need some more variety I think. What are your fav free fonts?

How do you organize your fonts? I don’t want any non system ones permanently installed. I’m thinking is there a way to seperate them into handwritten, typewriter etc.

How do you choose what font to use on your layouts? I’ve got into a rut and am only using system fonts

Lastly (this relates to the journaling challenge this month), how do you combine fonts so it doesn’t end up a big mess and overwhelming to look at?

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I like fonts by KG and DJB - both have many versions at dafont.com. I also own some fonts from here at the pad: Heather Joyce, Amber LaBau, and Tangie Baxter's big 65 font set. Link to TLP fonts: https://the-lilypad.com/store/Fonts/

You can use a font manager like Nexus Font, as well as other font managers (big discussion thread on here about the various ones). They will allow you to temporarily install and use a font. However, this comes with a big caution --- if you open the page later and the font you used is no longer installed (because it was a temporary install), then almost all software programs will change the font to one of the system ones. It should warn you, but not all software programs do that. So either save your page for printing before you uninstall the font, or just leave it installed.

NexusFont also lets you group and categorize your fonts. I have sets like script, handwritten, cartoon, 3D block, winter, etc. The nice thing about Nexus is that you can type your own text in the box (i.e. the title you want) and then scroll through the fonts to see what your specific text looks like. If you have pointed it at a folder of uninstalled fonts, this allows you to see them without installing. Then when you find the one you like, you can install it and then use it in PS.

KG fonts has a "pairing" guide on this website.

littlekiwi likes this.
  3. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

As for choosing a font - all about the mood you want to set. Cartoon ones and curly ones are fun, while a script looks more formal and fancy. Typewritten ones are easy to read but are more serious than handwritten fonts. Some fonts have lots of extra swirls and curls, so while they may work okay for a short word title, they are awfully hard to read for journaling. Ditto those that use all caps or have a 3D look, etc.

littlekiwi likes this.