Folder view?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Kat, Jan 25, 2018.

1. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Sorry, I'm late to the reply! @flowersgal @Mylinn

At the website, I upload the preview. Then I scroll to the bottom, leave the default square. I then choose Custom sizes, and 256 x 256. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I randomly chose it when trying to do this in the beginning and it worked. I never tried another way. Then I click, Convert Ico, and then download when it appears. It's in my download folder. Its an.ico file. I add it to the Scrap Supplies folder it should be with, and then replace that half folder with the preview.

Right click on the folder, then choose properties.
    Under the tab for Customize, I choose Change Icon.
    Then I browse/navigate to the folder, and choose my icon (the preview I made into an icon at http://icoconvert.com/
    Click ok. Then I click ok again.
    I leave the folder and then go back in and the preview is set.

You must make the icon first at the icon converter website.

If you move the file, you will have to do it again... but i usually don't once it's in my Scrap Supplies Folder.

Does that help?

This is what my folder looks like for scrapping, on a Windows computer.

Folder View.PNG

busywoman139, A-M, Kat and 2 others like this.
  2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Sorry! Mine does do that. But it's not super helpful to me, especially since I can only see a piece of the folder, and can't see the contents very well. In Windows XP, it would magically show the folder.jpg instead of that folder icon; like Jenn has hers set up to do. Does that make more sense?

3. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I do the same as Jenn and am absolutely loving it. I know have a very clear picture of the kit(colors/elements/theme). I have been wanting something like this for a long time (my daughter is on a MAC and told me how her's is); I just didn't know what to call it for searching.

I love how we share tips/tricks here.

bestcee and jk703 like this.
  4. rdjrneace

the only thing I do differently is when I download the icon I just download it directly to the folder of the kit (I have my computer set up to ask me where I want the download going).

bestcee and jk703 like this.
  5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

This is a wealth of information! I'm going to try this when I get home tonight. I think I'd really like to see a bigger preview of what's in a folder, especially when I'm searching for a kit based on colors, not theme! The only thing holding me back is the enormous size of my stash. Lol. Not sure how long it would take me to convert all of the previews!
    :faint2:crazy3

bestcee and wvsandy like this.
  6. jk703

It will take awhile and get tedious. I only have all of mine since I started this when my Mac dies last February. So... my stash is only a slight re-build. I also combine things together - WA, cards, Alphas, Papers, Elements, etc - so I have "less" folders and previews to do.

Maybe start a second Stash folder, and as you get new stuff do it, and if you move anything that you uise regularaly to the new folder, change those. ?? Just an idea. I know me... I have to have all or nothing in the specific folder. :giggle I'm a bit OCD that way. If I have two, one with the old way, and one with the new, then my brain can accept that visually, lol!

7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yeah... I'm the same way... I'll have to do it all or I won't be able to start. Lol. It'll bug me to have it half one way and half the other.

jk703 likes this.
  8. bestcee

I played with it last night. I'm going with it's worth it! And reminding myself that it had taken awhile to keyword photos, but how worth it that has been!
    I'm thinking I'll start going forward, and then carve out 30 minutes 3 days a week to work backward. Sure it's not all at once, but I bet it won't take long at all!

jk703 and Karen like this.
  9. bestcee

This is brilliant! Then the icon is with the kit if you move it!

10. jk703

Yes, mine is that way - once, I DL, I put it in the kit file. I just manually put it in the file while they are all in the DL folder. Then I move to my Scrap Supplies, THEN change the folder preview.

But... just in case, if you move the file, say from Scrap Supplies to Albums, for some reason the chosen customized icon folder view defaults back to that yellow folder/half folder thing (or something that isn't the preview). I learned that the hard way. I was changing the folder in the DL folder, and then when I moved it to my Scrap Supplies, it reverted.

bestcee likes this.
  11. jk703

Oh... and I believe, if you rename the folder after changing the file preview, it reverts too!

12. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

ACK help... I changed one by accident to the papers only instead of the bundle preview... it doesn't appear to let me change it again?!

13. bestcee

Can you move it to a different folder, and then back? Since that will clear the setting?

14. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

I ended up just deleting it and re-unzipping it. Eeks! I didn't know you could only change it once. Ooops. lol

bestcee likes this.
  15. bestcee

I just tried it, and I can change it. Hmmm...Maybe it's just that one that went wonky?

16. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

@jk703 thankyou Jenn for all the information you shared. I am starting to add the icon to my folders but I had to start not using them from the "Library"s that are on my Windows7

jk703 likes this.
  17. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Got it, that makes more sense. I actually prefer the folder view--with the way I organize, a given folder might have some subfolders and some copies of previews. (ie, I have a scrapping folder named School and Office. Inside that folder I have some full kits in subfolders and some jpg files that are previews only to remind me about a kit stored elsewhere.) I think not seeing the folder icon would mess with my mind and I'd end up trying to open a preview only thinking it was a kit!

bestcee likes this.
  18. rdjrneace

I organize my supplies by store, designer so as an example from Lilypad folder - there are subfolders for designers/bundle (all designers contributed to it). Since Thursday I have done one subfolder with all the new preview icon.

I absolutely am loving it and totally found kits that I had forgotten about. Fell in love with the kits all over again. Sometimes you just need to review your stash.

jk703 and bestcee like this.
  19. bestcee

I love this idea! I think it might need to wait until after MOC though. Are you finding it to be quick?

20. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

The reason that you see the preview image in place of the folder on one of Jaimee's downloads is because she sets it up that way from the get go. None of the other designers are currently doing that, but I bet it wouldn't take much to influence them that way if they knew how helpful it is to their customer base. At least, it never hurts to ask!

PS. I'm on a Mac too and had no clue I could do that! See what you can learn hanging around the forums? Who'd have thunk, lol!

bestcee likes this.