February Photography Challenge

Discussion in 'February 2016 Challenges' started by lcpereyra, Jan 26, 2016.

1. lcpereyra

lcpereyra You won't believe my blue streak!

Welcome to TLP's first monthly photography challenge!!! I’m so excited to be hosting this as I LOVE photography and using my camera to document my world around me.

I’ve been in love with this hobby since I was a child and still remember my first camera - a Kodak disc camera (anyone else remember these?!) Through the years I’ve had many different cameras as they were the tool that I used to capture my life. Times have changed a great deal and, now more than ever, it is so easy to take photos! No more worrying about “wasting film” and waiting to push the shutter button until the “perfect” moment. :) So these days, I shoot away. :)

And that is your challenge this month - pull out your camera of choice and shoot a photo of your view, right now. Show us what is around you: your environment, what you are doing today, or even more abstractly - your photographic view about a subject. Whatever you choose to photograph is up to you, it just needs to fit the theme of your view, right now. Then create a layout using that photograph.

I shot this photo of my current view - an everyday moment that represents my here and now. It isn't a photographic masterpiece, but it captures a moment in time that I treasure and know I will miss some day. I scrapped it using the June 2015 Memory Pockets Monthly kit - Viewpoint.

[​IMG]

For those who want to get more creative with their photography this month and kick things up a notch - convert your photograph to a black and white image! This is a great thing to do if you have many colors in your photo that don’t necessarily work with the scrapping kits that you want to use. This is something I often do and I love the mood a black and white photo brings to a layout.

There are many ways to do this with the simplest way to use your photo editing program’s software and convert your image to grayscale or adjusting your image by decreasing the saturation all the way to -100. You may like the results this gives you, but you can also adjust the effect by changing the photo’s contrast, white balance, shadows and highlights. Play with different sliders and see what happens! Other ways to convert a photo to black and white include using actions (Photoshop users), presets (Lightroom users), using gradient maps, and a large variety of other methods. Experiment and I'm sure you will find something that works for you!

Additionally, there are numerous phone apps that will convert photos to black and white. These include editing tools built into many phone cameras and apps such as Camera 360, VSCO Cam, Instagram, Pixr Express, PicTapGo, and many others.

I hope you enjoy this photography challenge and have fun with it! I look forward to seeing everyone’s layouts this month.

Please remember the monthly challenge rules: Your page must contain at least 75% Lilypad product. Your page should be posted to the Lilypad Gallery and then linked to the February Challenge Layouts thread so it can be tracked, and to this thread as well.

The Lilypad uses a percent system for our challenges; the number of challenges you participate in determines the store discount you will receive at the end of the month:

2 challenges = 10% off
    4 challenges = 20% off
    6 challenges = 30% off

If you complete 7 challenges, you will receive a coupon for 30% off, plus you will be entered to win a guest spot on the Lilypad Creative Team! The first seven challenges will be posted on the first of the month; the eighth challenge is the BYOC challenge, which is posted on BYOC release day. Each page counts for one challenge (you cannot use one layout for multiple challenges).

Ga_L, mollyc, elitka and 1 other person like this.
  2. yzerbear19

yzerbear19 CT - Krista Sahlin

This sounds like a fun challenge!!!

lcpereyra likes this.
  3. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

now figure how to get a pic from my phone
    and take a pic with it even

4. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

And you thought your challenges were over Cath. What kind of phone? Maybe someone can help.

Cath_ likes this.
  5. Cath_

Samsung note3

6. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Cath, don't know that phone, but with mine I just take my phone charger, remove the large end that plugs into the wall and then that end of the cord now fits into my computer and the other end, of course, into my phone. Then then the computer just automatically kicks in and downloads my photos.

Cath_ likes this.
  7. lcpereyra

lcpereyra You won't believe my blue streak!

My husband has a note 4 and uses dropbox to upload his photos from his phone. This is an app he installed on his phone and when he is connected to wifi, his photos automatically and wirelessly transfer to the dropbox site. I can then get those photos by logging into his dropbox account and downloading them to my computer. You can also connect your phone to your computer using the USB cable and finding the photo folder.

If you google how to use the note 3 to take photos and download photos, a lot of helpful links come up. This link was one that quickly came up and shows how to use the camera on that phone (and I don't think anyone is a dummy! It is just that the dummies.com has a lot of helpful info and books in easy to understand terms so they are a very popular resource!!!):

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-take-pictures-with-the-samsung-galaxy-note-.html

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    Cath_ and bellbird like this.
  8. andersm

andersm You can check out anytime you like ...

I LOVE this challenge! I didn't take very many photos in January, so you're inspiring my February to be better already! :)

lcpereyra likes this.
  9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

this is what i use too - less cables required :agree

Cath_ likes this.
  10. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Love this Lori! I took this Sunday morning and scrapped it Sunday night - as close to "right now" as I can get!

[​IMG]

KarenW, elitka, ljonezy and 2 others like this.
  11. Cath_

ty for bringing this back to new, i forgot where cameria tips link was

12. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

This is what's happening outside my home office window today.
    [​IMG]

Jan and lcpereyra like this.
  13. yzerbear19

yzerbear19 CT - Krista Sahlin

This is my view nearly every Monday night. We spend several hours each Monday at the dance studio with my nieces Juno and Annika who both take ballet and tap lessons. Photo is of my niece Juno during tap class last night. Instead of doing an all b/w photo I choose to do a spot color to highlight my niece in the crowd.

[​IMG]

This was a fun challenge.

jesskab, elitka, ljonezy and 2 others like this.
  14. chickypow

chickypow All I need is my gun, and my blankie

15. Chel

Chel Active Member

Do you Facebook from your phone?

My steps:
    Open Facebook chat on my phone
    Select my own profile
    Add the photo from my phone to my own Facebook chat (not Facebook status, Facebook private message)

Go to my computer
    Open Facebook
    Go to Facebook messages and download the photo from my Facebook chat.

Does that make sense?

Cath_ likes this.
  16. Cath_

it proper size that way?
    how do i copy it, from gallery on phone?
    i have sent email, but it makes for a big pst with them in

17. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

18. Chel

Chel Active Member

It works for me to get my photos from my phone to my computer. I open Facebook chat on my compter, select the photo and then select download. And then scrap it on my computer. Most of the photos I scrap were retrieved this way.

Cath_ likes this.
  19. mimisgirl

mimisgirl It's all about ME!

I have used Facebook and Dropbox and Facebook brings the photos in smaller - but still ok. I like my pics bigger though so I use Dropbox - it syncs to my computer and I can open them directly in my program - they are normal size and a good resolution, which makes for much better scrapping for me. but if you don't want to deal with Dropbox Facebook will work.

Cath_ likes this.
  20. mimisgirl

mimisgirl It's all about ME!

I took this just after reading the challenge because the littlest was being OH so very cute at the moment, he he.
    [​IMG]

lcpereyra likes this.