February Inspiration Challenge - Instagram

Discussion in 'February 2017 Challenges' started by mrs2a50, Jan 22, 2017.

1. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Hello TLPers! Welcome to our first month of "regular" challenges for 2017! You'll either find this a welcome relief after the hustle and bustle of MOC, or you'll finish all 8 challenges in less than a week and then think, "now what?!" Either way, I hope you have fun this month!

Your inspiration for this month's challenge comes from Instagram. I've been hanging there a fair amount, enjoying the simplicity of photos and videos - nothing else. And I get a kick out of some of the hashtags folks use on Instagram, and elsewhere on the internet (our own @jenevang is a hashtag queen!). Hashtags are short, descriptive phrases following the # sign. They're used as a way to group photos or posts together in a searchable format. For example, on the pages I posted to instagram for MOC, I included the hashtag #monthofchallenges. If I were to search that hashtag on instagram, it would pull up all the pages that everyone posted using that hashtag. They're typically short - #winterwonderland #digitalscrapbooking #vacationfun. Hashtags do not contain spaces or punctuation (hence the need to keep them short and simple). They can also be a way to express a feeling (as the #shesincharge hashtag in my example). There are no real rules in using hashtags, it's whatever strikes you at the time.

So your challenge this month is to draw your inspiration from Instagram and hashtags - ALL your journaling should be in the form of hashtags (including your date). The only exception is you may use ONE piece of wordart that does not have a hashtag. To recap:
    1. Journal ONLY with hashtags
    2. You may have ONE word art without hashtags
    Here's my example:

[​IMG]

Please remember the monthly challenge rules: Your page must contain at least 75% Lilypad product. Your page should be posted to the Lilypad Gallery and then linked to the Challenge Layouts thread so it can be tracked, and to this thread.

The Lilypad uses a percent system for our challenges; the number of challenges you participate in determines the store discount you will receive at the end of the month:

2 challenges = 10% off
    4 challenges = 20% off
    6 challenges = 30% off

If you complete 7 challenges, you will receive a coupon for 30% off, plus you will be entered to win a guest spot on the Lilypad Creative Team! The first seven challenges will be posted on the first of the month; the eighth challenge is the BYOC challenge, which is posted on BYOC release day. Each page counts for one challenge (you cannot use one layout for multiple challenges).

Now, go #hashtagyourheartout!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh my gosh! I love your hashtag journaling! So clever!

mrs2a50 likes this.
  3. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

I don't do any of that "social media" stuff and those @whatevers look like foreign language to me so I don't even look at them. Your sample is not showing up on my computer, so I'm at a TOTAL loss as to what to do. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm totally confused - is it ampersand or hashtag that you are talking about???????:hairpol I don't "do" either one.

4. jwalls39

jwalls39 Well-Known Member

*sniff* can't see your page

5. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

Ditto what KAPOH asked.

6. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

This is a different challenge,well done for thinking it up.... I had instagram for about 5 hours total.. in that time I got so many alerts (It was some creative live tv lesson on social media,and they asked us to set up an account and instagram the studio. ) It drove me nuts... also the other content was s a bit Mehh to me,so as soon as the class was finished I removed it,and never ever want it again. I guess I could scrap that.lol oh and I can not see the example.

MrsPeel and cfile like this.
  7. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I like this challenge. I'm a hastagger, so this challenges calls for me!

But, I feel like commenting. Because hastags aren't a Instagram thing perse. It's used on almost every social media platform. And here is an image of the first ever #hashtag. On twitter. Because that's were this started.
    [​IMG]

cinna, klee73010, bestcee and 3 others like this.
  8. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Here is an explanation I found through a google search that may help those struggling with this challenge theme:

A hashtag is a keyword or phrase preceded by the hash symbol (#), that people include in their social media posts. Essentially, it makes the content of your post accessible to all people with similar interests, even if they're not your followers or fans.

AllisonPennington and MrsPeel like this.
  9. lcpereyra

lcpereyra You won't believe my blue streak!

It is a hashtag - # - the pound symbol. :)

I'm sure Julie will fix the image as soon as she has a chance (she is in the late time zone for the US). But you don't have to do social media to do the challenge. Just #havefun #nostress #playtime

:D

patsyt, londoncuppa, MandaKay and 3 others like this.
  10. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

#cantwaittodothis
    #ittakesmelongertoreadthesesincetherearenospaces
    #lol

11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Until Julie gets around... here's a peek at her fabulous page:

#freshlymade.jpg

MrsPeel, kimingvtx and jk703 like this.
  12. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Sorry the page wasn't showing, it should be now. The symbol is #, and you do not need to have an instagram account to use it, or do the challenge. Go with the fun of journaling in a different style!

MandaKay and MrsPeel like this.
  13. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

#lovethis
    #cantwait
    #toplay

klee73010, bestcee, MandaKay and 2 others like this.
  14. amandaresende

amandaresende amandaresende

15. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

So, basically, forget about proper writing and go with just putting # in front of everything and NO spaces, periods, etc. such as:
    #sobasicallyforgetaboutproperwritingandgowithjustputtinghashtaginfrontofeverythingandnospacesperiodsetc

16. jk703

#lol #yup :P

It's fun to me... and when looked back on it will be seen as a way to tag, follow a story or person, a trend, and perfect way to express how social media has impacted life in general these days. I might add a few lines journaling for my copy explaining the hashtag and how it is currently used. I gotta keep up with my kids... or at least try.

londoncuppa and MrsPeel like this.
  17. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

not really no
    what Julie proposes is that you make the journaling make sense, only using the hash tags.
    say you do one of your Ice Skating pages/cards:

#BeautyOnIce #bestCostumes #NameOfTheSkaterRocks #BadJudges!

and so on
    at least that is my interpretation!
    I dont do Instagram or Twitter, doesnt need to be a social media thing,
    #JustForFun!

18. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

I am with the rest of the gals who have no clue what all this hashtag stuff is about. To me it is just a pound sign. My question is----why do you run all the words together???

19. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

see , I think each of us has our interpretation... like I said to @KAPOH , I don't think the no spaces, no punctuation is the way to go, as you wont find many hashtags like that...the shorter the more to the point....
    but you just made my day , providing Julie let us include more journaling without hash tags in the page too? @mrs2a50

cfile likes this.
  20. jk703

Hashtags on social media don't have spaces or punctuation - or the hashtag won't work for searching. As for journaling, I meant to my own copy for my albums after I post in the gallery. :) I'm not looking to change the challenge in any way here, just my layout for my album. :)

MrsPeel likes this.