FEB '18-MONthLy Muse | W2 Handwriting, Alphas and Fonts oh MY?!

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by AnneofAlamo, Feb 13, 2018.

1. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I know this is supposed to go up on Wednesday, but I have a chat, and a huge game going on tomorrow, so you lucky art journaling/mixed media junkies get this today.
    WARNING: this is not a to be completed in 20 minute challenge, this is a think about it, play and enjoy the process challenge...
    I am still in the middle of finishing mine.[​IMG]
    Today, we are going to use, either your own handwriting, font or alpha to create an insect of your very own!

When I was in 3rd grade, and learning cursive we did these way cool crayon mirror image of our signatures, then colored them in with bright and gorgeous colors! I loved that craft. I started pondering this in Photo Shop.

cursivenamebug_step2_0.jpg cursivenamebug_step2_01.jpg cursive_step-final.jpg
    Do any of you remember doing this? It is much fun...but today, we are going to work with a word of importance/significance, some word that is bouncing around your head and we are going to pour it out on a page!!
    I am loving the word ABLE at this moment of my life.
    First I did it with alpha (from CD Muckosky-Suzy Q)
    [​IMG]

Untitled-3-copy-2.jpg
    MERGE all the letters together and then duplicate. Flip in the mirror image, I just do it by hand pulling the top down and then place how I want it:
    MM-w2-e.jpg
    I merged the two together and then turned how I wanted to begin my coloring.

Then with an font. I used Edwardian Script ITC, and YOU must RASTERIZE to flip and merge together:
    MM-w2-c.jpg
    and finally, with my own handwriting. I used my mouse. But you can do it on paper, take a photo and try that. Whatever works for you:
    MM-w2-1.jpg
    I did add a stroke to my brush work cursive and a bevel because I want it to be more stained glass. I have been working on this for a bit, and still not done, but here is where I am right now:
    MM-w2-B.jpg
    WEEK 2 Challenge:
    Use free form(mouse, stylus or pad) or alpha, or a font to had draw ONE large word of your choosing. FEEL free to combine all three if you want!
    Copy that word.
    Flip it and attach to form a bug of sorts, then
    PLAY------------enjoy the process
    and make a page that is fun!

I think this is really fun way to just play, and can't wait to see how you come up with this.

Chippi, Mylinn and Angela Toucan like this.
  2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

Questions will be copied and answered here :)

3. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Sounds fun! Can't wait to try this at home.

4. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

What fun!! Now I need to go do Wk 1. My word was happy.
    [​IMG]

5. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

How fun!!!! I must play later..

6. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

I've played too

my word is perseverance
    [​IMG]

purlz76 and AnneofAlamo like this.
  7. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

[​IMG]

(I had done this before Anne and enjoyed it immensely. Thanks for the fun. .I did this a little different this time, and had fun with the create-ing :) Thank you!!)

purlz76 and AnneofAlamo like this.
  8. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

This was fun. Since it's National Random Acts of Kindness Week, I chose "Kind" as my word. Here is the ATC I created with my "Kindness" bug:
    [​IMG]

AnneofAlamo likes this.
  9. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

My word is health. The font is Before the Rain.

[​IMG]

10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

11. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

12. AmandaJ

AmandaJ Adagio, or Allegro? I can't decide.

Well, I got a little carried away. I drew my word "Love." Flipped it, colored it in and took a picture to put it into the computer. Then I made a butterfly. This was loads of fun!
    [​IMG]

13. redplaid3

redplaid3 Just call me Zaley's Grammy!

I enjoyed this. It was a fun play time.

[​IMG]

heathert, cfile, mcurtt and 1 other person like this.
  14. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

This is completely non-sensical....I played around with the word "serene" and made a family of it.

[​IMG]

AnneofAlamo likes this.
  15. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

These. Are. AMAZING!!!!!!

16. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

This is soooooo coool! Off to try!

AnneofAlamo likes this.
  17. Grey

Grey Member

These are all so fun to look at! I had a lot of fun doing this. The word I used is Quicksilver, the title of a song that means a lot to me. I love the way this turned out!

[​IMG]

scrumptious, AJK and blueberries like this.
  18. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Colouring inside the lines ! Not me, I am a bit of an old fossil LOL. Oh forgot to say the word is Spring ..fonts; Dragline, franltur, park avenue.
    [​IMG]

19. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

These are awesome! Melody did this same art activity at school year before last. They used their names, and they turned out great!!

20. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

So this is ... well. There's a lot going on here. I really had fun with the bug thing, enough to use my own handwriting (the mouse is getting much easier). I picked the word believe, mostly because hope was a little too short.

While I was doing it I remembered that other cool art project we all did in school: tissue paper decoupage. I tried to recreate that look and somewhat succeeded, although you probably can't tell with my bitty bugs. Definitely an idea I want to revisit/figure out how to sweet talk Gimp into doing. (Eta: it looks like the Cubism filter is a good place to start)

The bitty bugs ... I just couldn't find a way to make something from the bug, so I decided to just add them in to something else. Give them a habitat, so to speak. Which worked out, because I've been trying to get this page done for some time now. It's the song I originally wanted to do for the journaling challenge and couldn't. Then I wanted to do it for the scaredy cats music lesson and couldn't make it work either. Finally took little bugs whispering in my ear to get it right.

Anyway, have I flapped my gums enough? Have a picture.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018