Eclipse 2017!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Scrapping with Liz, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

We are in the "path of totality". People are getting hyped up and our little county is expected to have thousands of extra people here to view it.

Anyone else going to be in it's direct path or driving to see it?

I think we might need some kits or word art or something to go along with it. This is a once in a lifetime event!

Here's more info on it:
    https://www.space.com/33797-total-solar-eclipse-2017-guide.html

lmccandless, bbymks5 and jenn mccabe like this.
  2. KittyY

KittyY Who is Dol-say and Gab-anna?

I remember when I was on the playground as a wee one when I saw it before :) I'm gonna check one of mine out of school so we can do a cool project that day to view it properly

Scrapping with Liz likes this.
  3. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Oh yes!! We are going to Hopkinsville, Ky -- longest totality in the USA. It also happens to be my hubby's hometown. So we are staying with his mom and probably watching it from her front lawn. Unless of course, his sister hosts a big party at her house. Can't wait. The town is planning all kinds of activities for the entire weekend.

jenn mccabe, Tree City and bestcee like this.
  4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I remember seeing one as a kid. We are going to talk about it in school next month, but sadly, we are too far south. We'll see a partial one, somewhere between 70-80%. It's too long a drive to get to a good viewing for us!

5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

We are not in the "path of totality", but just north of it...between that and the .9 magnitude. That is my first day back to work, so I guess I'll be there :)

bestcee likes this.
  6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

We're not in the path of totality, so I hope my kids enjoy seeing whatever percentage they get lol (we're close to the 80% line). It's going to be really cool to see!

7. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

We are going to be on the west coast of Florida that week. Not in the path, but no farther out of it that I would be if we were at home. We have our viewing glasses already packed in the suitcases. Hoping there will be some sort of viewing party on the beach.

8. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I don't know if we'll see it here because it's very cloudy but I'll look out until bedtime just in case.

9. Sunberry2

Sunberry2 Full of secret tidbits

We're not going to be able to travel then so we'll just be watching the partial eclipse here. My uncle is driving to Idaho though with his equipment so I know I'll be able to see some pretty awesome pictures of the total eclipse later!

bestcee likes this.
  10. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I've heard zero about it, so I guess I'm not going to be able to see it from my little country.
    I remember seeing multiple eclipses in my life. Once in high school we didn't need to go to a certain class that day, as long as we did come by and check the eclipse. We liked that deal.

11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

It's not today. I think August 21?

Did you see they are trying to make a movie of the eclips over the whole country? They are depending on regular people with good equipment to help them out.

12. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I remember one as a child too - weird then, no one spoke about it and we didn't know what was happening.
    Exciting for you all though.

13. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I live in Northern Kentucky so I believe we will see part. About 4 hours north of Hopkinsville so hopefully some. I will be at work though so I will have to set reminder to go outside to see it.

14. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Super Cool! Yes I remember as a child too when we got to stand on the playground so we could 'view' it.
    @Scrapping with Liz
    Thank you so much for sharing this Liz!

15. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Not in it's direct path but for those of you that are or are planning to be ... enjoy! sounds like a great experience!

16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I remember seeing one as a kid too. I'm thinking of taking that afternoon off with my kids to go outside and watch it. I put it in my calendar. We are in the .8 range, but maybe I'll even get as crazy as driving closer to the totality range... probably not though. :giggle

17. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Our local online news said it was last night. It wasn't visible here though, I guess it was too cloudy. I'll check again in case they reported it wrong or we misunderstood.

18. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

It was supposed to be a good night to see the northern lights last night... maybe that's what they were reporting about? I forgot to go out and watch for them. I live in Southern Michigan and it's rare for them to be visible this far South, but I keep hoping to see them here someday.

bestcee likes this.
  19. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@bestcee I figured out the confusion, it's not the eclipse that was visible last night here in BC it was the Northern Lights. Either way, nothing was visible here in our neighborhood but I saw some spectacular photos taken about a 40 minute drive from here. Bummer...sorry to have missed it.

bestcee likes this.
  20. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@Karen Yep, I figured out it was Northern Lights last night. It was too cloudy here to see anything but closer to the water I saw people had shared some spectacular shots, the sky all green and yellow...so pretty!

bestcee and Karen like this.