Document Your December Challenge

Discussion in 'Weekly Focus Challenges' started by bestcee, Jul 20, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I can not be the only one who starts December full of high hopes to document the special season. Only to get too busy making memories and getting holiday things ready to not finish. Then with January's Month of Challenges, my December project is totally out of sight, out of mind.
    Enter the Christmas in July sale! :woot A second chance to grab those Christmas and Document Your December and Winter products at a discount! New products to play with is always motivating to me. But if that's not enough...

Here's a little challenge for you! If you are like me, and behind, let's use the sale to catch up! Here's my Day 24 from last year. Now I only have Days 2-20 or so to go!

[​IMG]

Post your layouts here and in the gallery so we can love on them! Gallery rules reminder below.

Please follow the Lilypad Gallery Guidelines: Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products (current or retired product from current designers; templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.

bbymks5, lulyg14 and lmccandless like this.
  2. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

OMG, funny because I bought the cutest advent calendar yesterday!!!!!!!!!

bestcee likes this.
  3. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I try to document but then real life gets in the way and I get behind; then I just quit and go to other things. With all the photos I have (my own taking as well as the photos my daughter/daughter-in-law take). I am so far behind on scrapping things. I also don't normally scrap chronologically so I am all over the place.

bestcee likes this.
  4. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I am so excited about this!! I left my DYD hanging at Day 21 last year and am so looking forward to having it done. I had even forgotten about it *gasp* until I went to think about printing and then realized I still had pages to do!

bestcee likes this.
  5. bestcee

Phew! I'm not alone! But I love real life too. It's such a hard balance!

6. KittyY

KittyY Who is Dol-say and Gab-anna?

Bless you!!!!! I need to do some - - thanks for the kick in the tail! :)

7. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I abandoned mine from last year. I need to get back to it. My biggest issue is that I did it as a book of 31 things and I've run out of "things". Going to have to figure out some filler.

bestcee likes this.
  8. bestcee

What kind of things? Can we help brainstorm?

9. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Yay sales! But I gave up on the DYD as a separate album and ended up including the pages in my 2016 album (2 volumes), which are not only finished but have been printed. And... I just scrapped my last Christmas in January 2017 photos, so I think I am sitting this one out. Although, of course, I love winter kits... but then again there will be new ones in November and December... Okay, I still have to look cause you know I might have missed something the first time around...

10. tkradtke

You're going to regret asking! LOL! Here's way more info than you actually need...

1. traditions - DONE
    2. decorating our cabin in Michigan - DONE
    3. the demise of our pre-lit tree - DONE
    4. first snow of the season - DONE
    5. decorating the tree at home - DONE
    6. holiday music (new vinyl) - DONE
    7. mom's club ornament exchange - DONE
    8. christmas card photo - DONE
    9. new ornaments - DONE
    10. duke it out dance show (jazz nutcracker) - DONE
    11. supposed to be lessons and carols at church, but I'm not sure I have photos
    12. the kids with santa - DONE
    13. starbucks red cups - DONE
    14. not a clue
    15. dance studio holiday show - DONE
    16. not a clue
    17. baking - DONE
    18. daddy daughter shopping day - DONE
    19. alderman's holiday show (not sure as they did the same dances as duke it out AND the studio's holiday show)
    20. christmas with my parents - DONE
    21. treasures (the christmas items from my grandmother's house that my parents brought me) - DONE
    22. alex's extra credit baking for german class - DONE
    23. not a clue
    24. christmas eve service - DONE (I think... it's not in my shutterfly album but I remember doing it)
    25. christmas morning - DONE
    26. santa gifts - DONE
    27. christmas with jeff's family - DONE
    28. not a clue
    29. not a clue
    30. not a clue

31. reflections - DONE

I had ideas written down pre-Christmas for some of these days that just didn't happen... like decorating a gingerbread house (it's the freezer so we can try again next year), zoo lights, etc. I have some generic ideas like movies we watched, and the new games we got for Christmas, but I'm not sure I have enough for 8 "days".

11. KittyY

KittyY Who is Dol-say and Gab-anna?

Holyeeeeeeee COW!! I'm crazy impressed!!

12. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

@tkradtke I love: those not a clue
    I have to agree that this can feel quite overwhelming.
    I tend to stop on Christmas Day though so that would help at least some where you have not a clue.

13. tkradtke

But it's still not done... LOL!

It is overwhelming! I have attempted this project many times and have not completed a year yet. We do a lot during the holidays and are so busy, but I can never quite make 31 things/events work! I thought about stopping at Christmas Day, but I'm weird about chronological order and we didn't have Christmas with my husband's family until after our Christmas (it was on Christmas Day.... just later in the day which is how it ended up as #27). This is the closest I've ever been to finishing though so I would like to try to finish it up... and then I would like to take this experience to build a better plan for next year.

In my dream world, I would love little Christmas only albums from throughout the years to put out on display at Christmas time. Yet another project to add to my ever growing list!!

14. bestcee

Never! @tkradtke I never regret asking. Because if I can't help, usually someone else can!
    So, here's a few thoughts, and I've never been in Chicago at Christmas, so I borrowed some ideas from my NYC Christmas trip for 14.

11: If you don't have photos at church, maybe grab a copy of your favorite carol(s). Or just list the titles. Or stage a photo now of your handwritten list of favorite carols.
    14: City Sidewalks. What does Chicago look like at Christmas? What do you love? (decorations, lights, big city tree)
    15: City Sidewalks. What does Chicago look like at Christmas? What do you hate? (Tourists, gray snow everywhere, busy trains)
    16: School Break. Your kids are on different schedules right? Talk about how that impacts your family holiday events. Did DH take vacation days?
    19: Maybe a prep photo (getting ready)? This is the one Clara danced in right? Or a photo of her shoes and costume. Talk about the hours of prep work for the 2 shows.
    23: Food at Christmas. You mentioned baking. What about other food? Do you make ham? Do you make soup?
    28: I wanted... (Or Next Year) I wanted to do a gingerbread house, but it just didn't happen. We were too busy with dance/doctors/traveling/whatever. I wanted to do zoo lights but the weather didn't cooperate/travel/too expensive/whatever.
    29: New games photo, and chat about the family time you enjoy with games.
    30: Cleaning up the holidays - back to normal, no tree. Not of the stuff, but the regular view.

Did you have a white Christmas? Was the snow from Day 4 gone? Do you like a white Christmas when the world looks clean? Or do you prefer no snow because of the travels you make?

15. tkradtke

Love these ideas!!

11. I'll have to look and see what I can find. Our church has a staff photographer and I counted on his photos, but they never posted any to fb this year.
    14 and 15. Love these contrasting ideas! I do have a love/hate relationship with the city at Christmastime. I actually kind of what to save these until this year because I have photo ideas in mind.
    16. Yes! This year was rough with the two different schedules (this year they match!!). Ugh... just re-read my reflections page and I covered it there.
    19. I honestly don't think I have anything from the prep... but I did just find a photo of the program in front of the tree in the lobby. I just get tired of scrapping Clara... lol! Actually I don't, but with dance she has so many Christmas performances that she begins to dominate my DYD.
    23. I don't have any food photos... but maybe a recipe page? We have Land of Nod Cinnamon Rolls every single Christmas morning... I could do a page for that!
    28. That's a good idea too. I should have taken a photo of the gingerbread house trapped in the freezer! It's in our Michigan freezer... we'll be up there in a couple of weeks, so maybe I'll take that then.
    29. I do have photos for this! We get new games every year at Christmas... so I'll do a page for those.
    30. Again... I rambled entirely too much on my reflections page and used a cleaning up photo.

I found the following unscrapped photos in my December folders:
    Christmas Eve on Michigan Avenue... everything was so empty and quiet. The pictures aren't very Christmas-y, but they would make a good story.
    The gift bags we decorated and filled for our church's Sunday Night supper guests.
    I lied before! I just found a dining room table photo with our dinner with my parents.... I can do a page about using our dining room table for the first time in three years... lol!
    Oh... I just found a photo I took of a pile of boxes that were delivered during December. I didn't scrap it at the time because I didn't want to give the kids clues about what we had bought.
    And one final found photo that was hiding in my January folder... our Lego Advent calendar!

Okay... I'm getting closer! Now to actually get these scrapped!

bestcee likes this.
  16. bestcee

Yeah! @tkradtke I'm glad you found some photos and inspiration.
    If you are tired of dyd becoming all about Clara and dance, maybe think of something your son did? Did he catch up on movies he missed while at school? Was he always on the go with friends (bus stop, or metro train)?
    I love the boxes idea! That's an awesome one!

17. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Here are 2 pages so far :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Last year was the first year I did December Daily, and I did that in the PL App and the PixelLab app before I knew how to use PS for anything so my first year is all caught up YAY!! Hopefully I can keep it up this year too!

19. tkradtke

One done with the July scraplift challenge...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. tkradtke

Another spread done, six more to go...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]