Do you ever feel like 'that creepy person'?

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges 2018' started by Serena, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Sani_digiscrap

Sani_digiscrap Well-Known Member

I love all the comments and likes i get it fells good, sometimes when i fell a little down i came back only to see if a have any alerts they always make my day!!!!

bonnenuit and Serena like this.
  2. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

When I see someone has commented on one of my layouts, I have a Sally Field moment - "You like me, you really like me!"

Vrielinkie and Serena like this.
  3. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

It's always nice to have something you've worked so hard on be recognized. I especially love it when someone goes "Wow! This is inspiring!!! I'm going to have to try that!" or something to that effect.

4. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

Um @Serena ... have you SEEN my tagline under my name? I think that just says "creepy stalker" :giggle

I don't mind gallery stalkers AT ALL. In fact, I LOVE when people leave all the kind comments because even though I am creating for me and my family, it's nice to hear my creations don't stink.

So a slight stalker story... every year since my daughter was little, we have celebrated pretty much every birthday at the same restaurant. It's about an hour from our house and we drive right past another location to get to this one. But, we just love it. They have revolving doors to enter and no matter how many times my daughter has gone through them or how big she gets, it's one of her favorite things to do (over and over again) when we go. Anyhow, we missed a few birthdays so it had been a little while since we've been. But, we went in a few weeks ago for my birthday. This server we have seen for years was in there. She wasn't our server this night, but my daughter wanted to go say "hi" because they always enjoy talking when we go. She was SO EXCITED to see us! We talked to her for a long time and she told us she was moving next month. Her mother is dying, so she was going home to the Philippines to be with her mom until she passed. Then, she was moving to Wisconsin to be near her sister. We hugged and talked about how we'd miss seeing her and she talked about how she would miss seeing Raileigh grow up. Then... a few days ago, I get a Facebook message from someone I don't know. IT WAS HER! Somehow, she'd found us on Facebook which I think had to take a lot of looking because I don't even know if she knew our last name. Maybe I SHOULD find it creepy, but I don't. I think it is AWESOME. I love that we are now connected and even though she's moving, we can stay in touch.

My family just seems to connect with people like this everywhere we go. I cannot tell you the number of cast members we have met at Disney that I now consider friends. Some no longer work for Disney but we still meet up with and stay in touch with when we're down there. We wrote letters for one of these friends when he was going through the process of obtaining citizenship. Many send postcards, Christmas and birthday gifts to my daughter. One is an artist and did a custom art piece of Yoda for my daughter. I still remember the very first time my daughter connected with one of these cast members. She was FOUR. We had been standing on Main Street waiting for the fireworks to start, chatting with a cast member who was stationed there. We chatted for probably almost an hour about Disney, rides, princesses, and everything really. After the fireworks, she appeared with a hand full of fastpasses and a stuffed Rapunzel for my daughter. Raileigh promptly looked up at Lauren and said "Can I have your address? I want to write you letters." The rest was history. Lauren is still very much in our lives- in fact, Raileigh mailed her a Valentine yesterday!

I think my point is that MOST people love these connections. I think we are all just afraid of being viewed as weird or creepy or stalkerish.

bonnenuit and Serena like this.
  5. Serena

Your family and mine would get along very very well. We have connections like that as well, some I've let fade because when the pain gets really tough to deal with, I tend to pull in and isolate myself, and in October of 2016 when my headache escalated to the point that I can't drive or barely stand the sun most days, I've become VERY isolated. My room in my house is my whole world. I rarely get out and can barely stand to be upstairs (we think it's due to the elevation) so this is my place.

When I DO get out I get the most amazing hugs from the girls at the gas station nearby I used to go to ALL the time. In fact, some friends came to visit from California and they wanted to surprised me with four cherry cokes. They went to check out and the lady from the gas station went "Four huh... are these for Serena?" It startled my friend who ended up cracking up and admitted. It was really cool to be thought of. (and predictable I guess, :giggle)

As humans, we need connections, but with all the social media going on and the ability to make nothing in your life private, some pull back really hard and rally against it. I've had both good and bad reactions with this. Some think technology is amazing (and it REALLY is.. I can still talk to my Korean "parents" who "adopted" me while I was there. I have friends here from all over the world and I can keep up with people like there's no space between us.) and some think it's a curse.

The problem is with the latter, and what I might find to be flattering, others find creepy. I've gotten mixed reactions from my comments to, an "OMG what a CUTE face, I love how she's doing this!" and the parents are either "Oh. Thanks." or "I KNOW RIGHT?!?!?! You should have seen her when THIS happened!!" and unfortunately, you never know where it's going to go or whom is going to be the type that wants to set up a fence and have you on THAT side of it.

I had this lady comment on my page asking if I was posting everything on the same day because my style was totally what she was digging and it made my week! But then (as Lynn-Marie and another found out, only mentioning LM because she responded and soothed my nerves) three other ladies were posting, one I would respond immediately because I'd hit refresh and have a new alert and just go for it, I was trying to keep up with the gallery, one because I liked a page and it was a photo of a behind the scenes for another photo on another scrap page she'd done, so I went to find that, and another was because I hadn't recognized her name and her pages were awesome so I went on a gallery loving spree and realized that each is different and might have the different reactions, especially because I didn't know two of them at all and the third I barely know.

So I try to error on the side of caution, I really don't need to be 'that creepy woman who pries into everything.' The reactions here seem pretty favorable, so I'm not really worried too much now, but in this day and age, it helps to ease into things.

6. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

When I first started scrapping back in the Mesozoic Era, I was so excited to post my first page using a Ronna Penner Kit. I thought I would jump out of my skin when she posted a comment on it loving what I had done with her kit.

I clearly remember my first one too - and so does everyone within 50 miles earshot.

Mylinn, bonnenuit and Serena like this.
  7. Serena

This was me when Allison Pennington commented on my layout. hehe!! Isn't that funny how it makes our day? I still get all swoon filled with some people that I utterly look up to comment on my layouts. :D I don't think that will ever go away, luckily my fan girl squeeing is kept silent here in my room and they can't hear me. LOL!

bonnenuit likes this.
  8. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I am totally a stalker.. *L*.. I may not always comment.. but I stalk the gallery a lot and than end up going to peoples personal galleries and stalking some more.. saving layouts I love.. so forth..

Serena likes this.