Digital Pin Exchange - February 2018 Edition!

Discussion in 'Designer Challenges' started by Dalis, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

A few months ago Mommyish (Leah) released the Enamel Pin Builder and started a Pin Exchange.... which made a lot of us very happy and very addited to creating PINS! She also released an add-on with additional styles for your pins called Glittery Enamel Pin Styles. I will be the first one to say that I can't have enough of them! I can't WAIT to see all the pins from the exchange! AND.... I CAN'T wait to do this all over again this month! I sent Leah a private message to volunteer myself to run this challenge because I NEED to HAVE MORE PINS! This time we are going to follow a very loose theme.... drum roll please........ the theme is FEBRUARY/MARCH, VALENTINES, LOVE, SPRING, SNOW (Or anything you do during FEB or MARCH)!

**** I added a new video on how I use the style/actions at the end of this post. It has some cute scarecrow pins!

Just in case you have no clue about what product I am talking about that revolutionized our pin making skills, here it is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did you hear there is a new Enamel and RIM styles in the store? I am going to try these for this month.

[​IMG]

Here are the DECEMBER PINS!!!!! Ladies, these are so cute!
    [​IMG]

How do I even make a pin?!
    • Install the Enamel Pin Builder Styles & actions
    • Watch the video tutorials for your program - if you are still unsure - hit me up here and I will be happy to help you out. :) . @angiekey created the following step by step instructions for those that like written instructions better. HERE (I have posted the written instructions in the second post of this thread)
    • Have an idea! If you aren't sure look up "enamel pin" on pinterest and you flooded with ideas.
    • Get creative. <3 Use shapes, your brush tool, text, etc! Use other styles to create other interesting effects.
    Remember, since this is an item that will be shared with others - if you use outside graphics they have to be CU ok.

Still unsure - watch this video!

Drawing from scratch? Watch this one!

Some of you asked me to make a video on how I USE the styles and actions, here it is!

How do I save my pin for other folks?!
    • You will want to create a new document that is 300ppi in RGB format with a transparent background.
    • Keep in mind that pins shouldn't be GIGANTIC - ideally you will want your pin to be smaller than 2 inches. (600 pixels)
    • When you save your pin be sure to save it as a .PNG file (this maintains the transparent background)
    • Save the file as username_tlp-xchange_pinname.png for example I'd save mine as mommyish_tlp-xchange_rainbow.png
    • UPLOAD HERE
    [​IMG]
    I can not wait to see what you guys come up with! NO LIMITS ON NUMBER OF PINS :D

Deadline is February 28, 11:59pm EST

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    A-M, Chippi, nachtmol and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dalis

@angiekey put down some written instructions in case you are still having trouble after watching the videos. THANKS ANGIE!

You do not have to use the action. As is the case with many of Mommyish's action/style sets, you can use her turn-key "just press the button" action or you can do it manually, by applying strokes and styles and what-not as you go. I generally prefer to do it that way, because it gives me maximum control over the process.

I think the issue you're having is that everything is on one layer. As I look at your screenshot, you seem to have a "pin" layer that contains the black outline plus the solid color fills. In order to use the style set, you need these separated onto their own layers.

It helped me to think about how these pins are physically made. Enamel pins are first cast in metal, as the pin back and the raised ridges for the outline of the design. Then, they pour liquid enamel into each of the spaces to create the colored areas. The liquid pools into the space, thicker along the edges, and then dries.

So to create one electronically:

1. Create your metal cast
    - that's the outline of your design. It goes on one layer all by itself. Draw it in the color you want the metal to be - any shade of grey works great, or gold - but be aware that black doesn't always show up well with the style (at least, in my experience).

[​IMG]

2. Turn your outline to metal.
    Once you've got your design done, apply style Pin Builder - Metal Rim to that layer.

[​IMG]

3. Start filling the spaces with enamel.
    Create a new layer and fill it with the color for your first enamel section. This layer should be BELOW your metal frame layer.

[​IMG]

NOTE: In one of the videos, Leah walks through selecting the area to fill, then expanding the selection by a couple pixels before filling it. Or you can go back through with the Brush tool and paint in the corners. That's definitely a best practice because you want to make sure the entire shape gets filled with color.

Then apply one of the enamel styles to the enamel layer: Enamel - Thin, Enamel Small, Enamel - Med, or Enamel Large. The one you choose will be entirely based on how you want the pin to look, and how deep the "pooling" of the enamel will look around the edges of your metal frame.

[​IMG]
    I find it easier to understand if I can see the four different styles, side-by-side, for comparison:
    [​IMG]
    Do you see how the "Enamel Large" style makes it look like it's a really deep well into which they poured the enamel? It's pooled up around the sides, and then smoothed out in the middle like a thick, sticky liquid would do. Versus the "Enamel Small" where there's not as much difference between the edges and the center. It's like that well was shallow or they filled it up with more of the liquid enamel.

4. Keep going until you've filled your whole design. I found it easiest to do each section of enamel on its own layer. If you do that, here's what it would look like:
    [​IMG]
    And then apply an Enamel style to each enamel layer:
    [​IMG]

ALTERNATIVELY, you might choose to put all your enamel color on a single layer. If you do this, you need to make sure the different wells of color are separated - otherwise, you won't get that cool look where it pools up next to the metal. Here's what I mean:
    [​IMG]
    I've got two fill layers - one with the enamel separated into individual wells, and the other with the full shape filled, metal channels and all. I've hidden the layer with the metal rims so you can more clearly see what's happening here. So I'll add the style Enamel - Med to this layer:
    [​IMG]
    And do you see how it looks like liquid has been poured into each of those sections? But if I use the layer with the big shape, where all the individual channels are connected, this is what I get:
    [​IMG]
    Hang on, it's easier to see if we do this one side-by-side:
    [​IMG]
    That was a huge eye-opener for me! Once I realized the enamel pieces have to be separated, I started getting the look on the left and it actually looks like a poured enamel pin. :)

If you feel like your pin isn't looking like everyone else's pins, this is probably why.

So, back to our original heart design: we have one layer for the metal outline, with style Pin Builder - Metal Rim applied. Below that, we have a layer for our colored enamel, with one of the 4 Enamel styles applied. If you want to get fancy, you can duplicate the layer with your metal outline, put it below your metal rim, and apply style Metal Rim - Under Shadow. It gives it some pretty depth. That goes below your metal rim layer and above the enamel fill layer.

[​IMG]

And then as a final touch, when you're happy with your pin, merge the layers together, make sure your foreground color is set to the same color as your metal rim, and then play the action "Give It Depth". It will add a really cool edge to the lower right side of your pin that makes it look like a thicker enamel pin, like it's standing off the background by its pin back.

I hope this helps ease a little of your frustration. If you have more questions or run into trouble as you walk through these steps, just let me know - I am happy to help if I can!

PS: Sorry for the horrible terrible quality of these screenshots - I'm rubbish at drawing by hand, but I wanted to get these posted quickly, so ... they are what they are. :)

3. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

Ooooh, I bought this last month and haven't even installed it. I must work out what to do with it.

bestcee likes this.
  4. Dalis

Julian, let us know if you need any help, ok? they are so much fun, but I must warn you... they are a bit addictive!

5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Wooo Hooo - Love playing! @Dalis - your deadline says January 5. I think that is a boo-boo. Now off to find some cool ideas.

6. Dalis

WHAT!??? That means you are late missy!!!! Just kiddin'... I fixed it!

7. Mylinn

Mylinn What's that old bat up to now??

Okay, just uploaded my (hopefully first) three. The blue thing is an attempt at celebrating the down under - an Irukandji jellyfish. Feel free to shoot it, lol.

Dalis likes this.
  8. Sunberry2

Sunberry2 Full of secret tidbits

Oh, I'm so ready to make some new pins! I've got a few ideas I wanted to try for Valentine's themed ones. I wish work was over already!

Dalis likes this.
  9. Tiff

Tiff I don't need no stinking playlists!

I uploaded my MOC 6 pin. I can re-upload #1-#5 (they were included in the very first pin exchange I think) if people want them again. They are included in my siggy.

Oh, maybe I can re-do them with new colors!

jenn mccabe, Mylinn, bestcee and 3 others like this.
  10. merank

merank Working my way through scrumdiddlyumptious bars

I made two so far...
    Feb-Pins.jpg

11. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I think I will try this...

jenn mccabe, bestcee and Dalis like this.
  12. heathert

heathert Well-Known Member

13. Dalis

That is one cool eye!

heathert likes this.
  14. Dalis

Can you? I will add all 6 if you upload them!

I am so excited Danica, let me know if you need help!

15. nachtmol

nachtmol Active Member

I worked in advance a while ago and made some Valentine pins too. Most of the pns come on sheets and have different colored rims, so you can use what you need to fit your layouts. Dalis, maybe it's easier to not show the sheets in the preview (they take so much space), but just include them in the zipfile.
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  16. nachtmol

nachtmol Active Member

And I made some flowers too
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. Tiff

Tiff I don't need no stinking playlists!

I uploaded the old ones, and I made a second set with different colors. I want to play more, but I have a hard time finding shapes to use. How are people getting their shapes? Example.jpg

18. Mylinn

Mylinn What's that old bat up to now??

I have resorted to looking for vector graphics (and illustrations) on pixabay and free clip art sites. I seem to have forgotten everything about how to chose something that is good to make into a pin. Here is my first attempt at wacom and making a face. Soon as I figure out how to make strokes smooth, I might be close to one I'm willing to share, lol. 2018 feb tlp pins face 1.jpg

nachtmol, Dalis, jenn mccabe and 2 others like this.
  19. mmbstaley

mmbstaley Well-Known Member

Thanks for the December pins, Dalis and everyone who contributed! I'm finally back to scrapping after my EHD crash - trying not to think about all of the stuff I can't get back <sigh> I did get all of my purchases back at least, and thank goodness there were no stored photos on that drive.
    Here are some Valentine pins - I love how the jars of hearts came out :D I've been wanting to make those for a while. I will probably do some winter ones too since that is what I had always planned to do for January.
    valentine-enamelpins-preview-w.jpg

20. nachtmol

nachtmol Active Member

I find most of the pictures I use on vecteezy. They are free and easy to use.