die cut machine suggestion

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by tnscrappn, Nov 1, 2017.

1. tnscrappn

tnscrappn New Member

Hello! I am a confused scrapper. I think I would get more scrapping done if I scrapped digitally but I LOVE the feel of the paper/stamps/glue/etc in my hands!
    Not that confession time is out of the way...which die cut machine do you recommend? I bought the Cricut mini at a garage sale and I like it fine. I'm a pretty simple scrapbooker. Would you suggest something like a Sizzix or Cricut or Silhouette? Thank you!

2. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I have the Sizzix eclips2 and I LOVE it!!

I just about every Cricut machine that ever came out, which the exception of the mini and the Explore (the ONLY reason they came out with the Explore is b/c they were losing more and more customers and having a hard time gaining new ones b/c they didn't allow people to cut .svg files), sold all of my Cricuts and the over 300 cartridges I had because I could not longer ignore their business practices (them suing Make the Cuts and Sure Cuts a Lot, not standing by their machines (the Gypsy and the Imagine) and constantly coming out with new machines vs fixing the issues they have and fixing their software, which still cannot make shadow layers, this is a very super basic function that everyone other software can do and still ball and chaining their customers by only allowing them to use THEIR software) and bought the Silhouette Cameo.

I liked the Cameo better than any of the Cricut machines I owned and the software is WAY better than Cricuts ever will be. However, the machine is slow, loud and all plastic. I went with the Cameo after Cricut b/c I was to get new mats and blades at brick and mortar stores vs having to order online. You can use Make the Cut or Sure Cuts a Lot software with Silhouette products.

I had the Cameo for a couple years and bought the Sizzix eclips 2, it's quieter, quicker and the most important components are made of METAL, it is a workhorse! I do have to order mats and blades online, but I like it and the software better than that of the Cameo; main reason being I can save my files as .svg files, so if I were to design something and wanted to sell it, I could reach a much broader customer base...any machine that can cut .svg files would be able to. Ciricut only allows you save in their format same with Silhoutte if you use their software, which is what most people do.

I cannot and will not ever be able to recommend Cricut to anyone with a clear conscience. There are other cutting machines out there, but they're out of my price range so I haven't done any real research on them to give an opinion one way or the other.

bellbird, bestcee and tnscrappn like this.
  3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have the Silhouette Portrait (the 8.5 x 11 version) and I really love it. I don't do much with hybrid scrapping really, but I use that thing for all kinds of other things. My favorite is being able to print my digital supplies and then cut them out with the Portrait and use them in my art journals. I also make a TON of stencils with it for art journaling too. I used to make cards when I first got it and then I also do lots of random projects for the kids for school and for church stuff too. It's pretty darn handy and versatile. :) I just love that you don't have to use a cartridge for it.

tnscrappn likes this.
  4. Teri

Teri You bought a used lion?

I have a Silhouette Cameo (the first version) and use it for everything. It is noisy, but it does a great job. I don't do paper scrapbooking anymore, but I really have cut everything with my Silhouette...paper, cardstock, fabric, vinyl, sticker paper, fondant sheets, ..... The software is has a learning curve, but not too bad if you have worked in Photoshop at all. I like being able to use all of my fonts and to trace so many things to be able to cut.

tnscrappn likes this.
  5. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I'm a hybrid scrapper (and die addict). For digital files, I use a Silhouette Cameo (started off with a Cricut but got tired of buying cartridges REAL quick).

When I use metal dies, I have a Sizzix Big Shot that gets the job done every time. I've tried other traditional die cutters, but the Big Shot is the best IMHO. The Sizzix Vagabond is essentially the Big Shot but with a motor.

My favorite thing to do is print off paper from the digital kits and then use my dies/Big Shot to cut images/word art from that paper. I'll also print digital elements from kits and fussy cut them. If the image is intricate, I'll use the Silhouette instead and add the cut lines.

Hope that helps! @tnscrappn

6. tnscrappn

tnscrappn New Member

Thank you so much for your feedback!!!

londoncuppa likes this.
  7. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

Does anyone use a Cricut Air 2?

I have an original Cameo, but it is acting up a lot. My husband actually volunteered the idea of getting me a new machine!

I have literally spent HOURS reading comparisons of the Silhouette Cameo 3 and the Cricut Explore Air 2 and overall, the Cricut is coming out on top in the reviews.

It seems the Cricut makes more intricate and cleaner cuts and cuts a broader range of materials better (though I am not sure I would cut non-paper stuff often). I also like that you get access to their entire library for one price. I have read bad things about their software, but I don’t know how bad it actually is.

With Silhouette, I am very familiar with their software. It is where I learned to design, before getting PS and PSE. I do have issues with designs not cutting as cleanly as I want at times, but I can only assume that three machines later, it has improved, at least some.

Gah. It is SO HARD to know what is best.

8. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I could basically have written this EXCEPT that I've made far fewer projects than Karen. :) Anyway, I love the Portrait; I can find components (mats, cutting blades, etc) not only on the Silhouette website but also on Amazon and at JoAnn Fabric. Easy to use; wonderful software; their online design store has sales all the time, and if you're a subscriber (I pay about $10 per month for a $50 credit) then you can use those credits even on sale prices.

I guess it is a plastic machine, but the components that I find matter are metal. I've had my Portrait for years and nothing's broken. And the noise is good cuz it scares my kids enough that they stay away from it when it's cutting lol!

Karen likes this.
  9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

@bbymks5 Timmi! How did I not know you have an eClips? I have the original one (cartridge or computer), and man it is a workhorse. And customer support has always been amazing!
    To answer the original question, I had a cricut expression, but hated being locked into their cartridges, and their online program was bad at the time. So, I sold it and bought a sizzix eclips. I buy my mats and blades off Amazon typically for it and my silhouette cameo.
    I have a silhouette cameo too. And I love it as well.
    If I've doing a paper project with cardstock I prefer the eclips.
    If I'm doing print and cut, I prefer the silhouette.
    The eclips 1 and cameo are about the same noise level, I have seen the newer eclips 2 and it's quietest of the bunch.

10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

bwahaha